Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 09:06:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Highlights of COP26

Started by Bigfella, November 03, 2021, 09:35:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kngen

Quote from: Rizla on November 11, 2021, 07:23:15 PM
Sturgeon gave AOC some Irn Bru, causing a libgasm that showed up on the seismographs as another tunguska event.

1) Wasn't even in a glass bottle, so it was shite.

2) For decades, Irn-Bru led the way with incentive-based recycling until they stopped giving money back on their glass bottles in 2016, because it was 'uneconomical'. Real visionary stuff there.

olliebean

Quote from: Bigfella on November 13, 2021, 12:05:02 PM
None of us alive today were able to witness the beginnings of life on earth.  It now seems ever more likely that we'll be lucky enough to see it's end.  Always an upside!

Nah, life on earth will continue long past our lifetimes. Just maybe not human life.

chveik

Quote from: BlodwynPig on November 13, 2021, 01:16:19 PM
I saw a leaf today. A gust of wind upended it to reveal a message. The message was

WAR

only Xi can save us

hamfist

Quote from: olliebean on November 13, 2021, 03:27:23 PM
Nah, life on earth will continue long past our lifetimes. Just maybe not human life.

I think it's Alice Caldwell-Kelly who pointed out that we'll observe climate change through many different smartphone videos on social media until one day you'll be observing it through your own camera

Sebastian Cobb

Quote from: hamfist on November 13, 2021, 06:17:40 PM
I think it's Alice Caldwell-Kelly who pointed out that we'll observe climate change through many different smartphone videos on social media until one day you'll be observing it through your own camera

Yep - https://twitter.com/AliceAvizandum/status/1453631004447547395

She also said
Quotesomething fucked up when a lot of informed experts are privately like 'yeah we blew it, nothing we can do now, just enjoy being in the imperial core for a while and line up a painless method of suicide when you don't want to do it any more' but in public have to be like...

'uh we have very grave concerns. the situation is very serious. if we do not act now the situation may become more serious than that'

hamfist

that's the ticket ! I love that take and she's ace

mothman

Quote from: Sebastian Cobb on November 13, 2021, 12:37:16 PM
A while back The Pentagon issued an analysis into climate change and what to do about it. Their predictions of the disaster seemed to be reasonable in the sense they didn't downplay anything. Their conclusion on what to do about it was essentially grab all the resources we can and stock up on weapons.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/mbmkz8/us-military-could-collapse-within-20-years-due-to-climate-change-report-commissioned-by-pentagon-says

The MOD did one too.
https://www.vice.com/en/article/ep4w5j/british-military-prepares-for-climate-fueled-resource-shortages

The deeply concerning part being of course these people transcend government and have control over our politicians. So god knows how that one gets fixed.

Bad news I'm afraid. It doesn't. Nothing that's happened in the past five, ten, hell, twenty years and especially during that fortnight-long clown show in Glasgow should leave anyone in any doubt about that. I hope that won't stop any of us trying, but regardless of anything we do I can't see this ending any other way.

GMTV

I think cop26 shows its an unsolvable problem. Too many different groups of people with different needs for an agreement to ever be made.

I think what will happen is it'll continue on like the way things are now, with years of pronouncements along the lines of what cop26 has come up with. Until eventually the effects of all the environmental usage and destruction will result in a big drop off in global population, be it war, mass starvation, big weather events (flooding etc).

Replies From View

When you squint a bit, COP26 looks a bit like CORPSE

Video Game Fan 2000

Johncunt just said consumer choice was more powerful in averting climate change than corporations and governments. I guess the "its their own fault" message worked so well with Covid.

He has the brain of a libertarian shitposter from 2006.

chveik

imagine if the US had the guts to ban crypto-mining. maybe tankies were right all along

Video Game Fan 2000

That would mean explaining the different between proof of work and proof of stake to an organisation with an average age of 75.

Theremin

Quote from: chveik on November 14, 2021, 05:30:03 PM
imagine if the US had the guts to ban crypto-mining. maybe tankies were right all along

Heartbreaking: The most annoying people you know we're right about everything

Fambo Number Mive

Part of the problem is that the government have a financial motivation to keep the fossil fuel industry happy.

QuoteThe Tories face fresh sleaze allegations after it emerged MPs and the party have taken almost £1.5million in donations from the energy industry under Boris Johnson.

The Prime Minister has been warned his climate crisis credentials lie in tatters as his party has been "swimming in oil and gas money" since he took power.

An analysis of Electoral Commission records shows donations stretching back to 2019 linking the party with oil and gas magnates...

Matthew Ferrey, part of an elite group of Tory donors and a former executive with oil trader Vitol, has given the party £675,000. It includes £15,000 to an individual MP, the former minister and " Brexit hardman" Steve Baker.

The Wycombe MP told an event at Tory Party conference in 2021 that while "the science is absolutely settled" on climate change, students should be taught they will get "poorer", "colder", and eat "insects for protein" as a result of climate policies...

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/politics/fresh-sleaze-claims-tories-take-25439527