Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 11:41:06 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 26, 2021, 09:29:39 AMTo be fair that's a screenshot from Twitter, it's Huff Post Black Voices being clickbaity there.
Oh for sure, but here's the thing.  He obviously didn't read it or if he did, he's wilfully ignored what it was about to push his own agenda, which is 'gays shouldn't have kids' hidden by a paper thin veneer of 'what about the mother'.

phantom_power

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 26, 2021, 09:23:57 AMSee, this is what Ms. Gregory believes (ovbs. she wouldn't use the word 'transed'), and I think there's some merit to the theory that if some trans people could be happy in a largely genderfluid society without having to physically transition, that would be good. 

Of course she accepts that that's not the case for a lot of trans people, and that we don't live in that society, and that access to transition and healthcare is minimal to say the least.

She's not a TERF, naturally, but she is more defensive of the older feminists who pick up on the narratives of 'not being able to say woman any more', 'male' bodies in women's spaces etc etc

And I can sympathise a bit, because she does know more about it than me, but then it's impossible to have that conversation when a lot of the engagement is very clearly driven by grifters and bigots who don't want trans people to be visible, have rights or exist.  Or at least that's what I'm seeing.

The thing is though, a more trans-inclusive society would mean that people would get a chance to explore their feelings in a freer and safer way and be more likely to come to the "right" conclusion about whether they are trans or non-binary or whatever. TERFs are actually hurting that cause by being exclusory and disingenuous

The Bees

"Gender doesn't exist" is how my brain feels too, which is why I've chosen non-binary/genderqueer to describe myself, but it's still pretty clear that it matters a lot to most other people and life can be hell if you force someone (cis or trans) to be the wrong one.

Weirdly I've often felt that most transphobes aren't too far away from getting it. Something about switching genders feels deeply wrong and unnatural to them, possibly because they're applying the idea to themselves and imagining being forced to be the wrong one. It's like how twenty or so years ago you'd sometimes hear homophobes explain their behaviour by saying that  they would never want to have sex with another man, so they're against other people doing it too. Then one day it just clicked for them that the rights were for other people who felt the same way about heterosexuality and after that they were fine with it.

phantom_power

TERFiness is such a confused ideology. They don't believe gender exists but criticise people for how much they do or don't adopt the gender traits of the other sex. "Woman" is not a fancy dress you can put on but if a trans person doesn't try to conform to the gender that is tied to the sex they want to be then they get mocked for that as well. Women are more than just their biology, but then that is the most important about being a woman when they want to exclude someone from it. Women are different and can't be stereotyped or put in the same box but trans women can never have the lived experience of a cis woman and so can never know what it is like being a woman. So many contradictory positions to be kept in their head at all times. No wonder they all go bananacunt

Kankurette

Quote from: phantom_power on November 26, 2021, 07:58:03 AMWasn't there a thing going around TERF Twitter a while ago about how gay adoption was more erasure of women and exploiting their wombs or some other shit?
Wouldn't surprise me, given Mumsnet's attitude to surrogacy. They absolutely hate it. They've accused Elton John and various others of using stolen wombs.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on November 26, 2021, 10:00:29 AMOh for sure, but here's the thing.  He obviously didn't read it or if he did, he's wilfully ignored what it was about to push his own agenda, which is 'gays shouldn't have kids' hidden by a paper thin veneer of 'what about the mother'.

For sure, he probably didn't go much beyond
[CTRL + F) trans.

Even some glincels are calling him out in the comments.

Jumblegraws

You've just unfriended me
You've just unfriended me
When I shared that Bindel piece
And I cried and cried that I just won't wheesht
You felt embarrassed just to be my niece
Girl, you've just unfriended me

canadagoose

I did enjoy this comment from some clueless old fucker in the comments underneath the latest journalism:

Quote from: some utter binlidThis business with the Girl Guides. A lifetime ago I seem to remember swearing allegiance to God and the Queen when I was a guide. Has anyone forwarded all this dangerous crap to Her Maj to get her view. I think that's overdue.

idunnosomename

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 26, 2021, 12:15:16 PMEven some glincels are calling him out in the comments.
True, although it's pretty gentle:

QuoteI think it's fair not to have the baby in the photo with the gay couple. Photos of babies/children often have the face pixelated out to protect the child.

QuoteBlack dad, white baby - the baby is fostered and to be adopted so I don't know why it's odd not to see the mother in the photo. It'd be strange if we did.
However, then you get shit like this:

QuoteNotice the state of the baby's room; nothing says accessory and vanity more.
It's just nasty stuff.  I'm almost positive Graham was surfing some far-right website that happens to hate trans people as much as him and that article caught his eye, so he posted it without really thinking.

QuoteNotice the state of the baby's room; nothing says accessory and vanity more.

I can't see the problem - a little impersonal?

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 26, 2021, 01:24:02 PM

I can't see the problem- a little impersonal?

Or they knew the papers were coming to take pictures so tidied up, I know my partner would make the place spotless if we were in a similar situation. But we're a boring cis het couple so the terven wouldn't have an issue even if we were to use a surrogate

Barry Admin

As Better Mindlands said, the journalism about the mixed race couple is just a Twitter screenshot, i.e. Graham didn't bother reading past that because he's lazy and is still obsessed with the medium. So we also don't know if the picture used was deliberate, or if it was selected by Twitter.

He does link to the actual article and presumably did a search for "Mum/mother", but you can see that the vast majority of this journalism is Linehan saying: 'I saw a thing on twitter and it mildly confused me.' And then somehow trying to relate that to trans people.

I accidentally clicked the bio on his blog, and it notes that he now has "thousands of paid subscribers", so being a lazy, disengenous hate preacher is obviously very profitable:

Barry Admin

Quote from: canadagoose on November 26, 2021, 12:26:46 PMSomething you might like to sign if you're fed up of transphobia in the SNP:

https://twitter.com/JoDanCk/status/1464167820409950239

Signed, thanks.

On the surrogacy issue, a lot of the transphobes also attack Owen Jones for wanting to be a father. There's a whole parody song by that weird Mr Menno creep about it (I'd suggest using incognito mode or removing the video from your history afterwards, so you're not plagued by his tuneless transphobic shite) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKDGhOgyJCg

retsuza

Latest GLINNERS TWITTER he says BBC has now only been "semi-captured"

Incredible evolution of their terminology. The trans acceptance virus has not yet been fully uploaded into the brains of all BBC employees. Not if me, Graham Linehan, has anything to do with it

canadagoose

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 26, 2021, 01:36:02 PMSigned, thanks.

On the surrogacy issue, a lot of the transphobes also attack Owen Jones for wanting to be a father. There's a whole parody some by that weird Mr Menno creep about it (I'd suggest using incognito mode or removing the video from your history afterwards, so you're not plagued by his tuneless transphobic shite) https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=hKDGhOgyJCg
Thanks Barry, much appreciated.

imitationleather

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 26, 2021, 01:29:43 PMI accidentally clicked the bio on his blog, and it notes that he now has "thousands of paid subscribers", so being a lazy, disengenous hate preacher is obviously very profitable:

If he genuinely has thousands of people paying for the blog, why do barely any of them ever comment or even like comments? I've got to say, I'm a tad suspicious.

Cuellar

"Tireless efforts to keep us ahealthy youngbreasttissue of the news"

Pimhole

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 26, 2021, 01:29:43 PMSo we also don't know if the picture used was deliberate, or if it was selected by Twitter.

The picture was what appeared on Twitter. I remember seeing it in my 'What's Happening' push notification area yesterday. It looks like he's used a screen grab of that.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

#NotOurCrimes pisses me off because women are absolutely capable of sexual assault and child abuse. In fact, some experts believe that the number of female offenders is much higher than previously thought, not because of tRaNs PrEdAtOrS but because of under-reporting and archaic laws with rigid definitions of rape. For people who love pissing themselves about the poor lesbians they sure don't give a fuck about lesbians who are abused by cis lesbians (as illustrated by all the blustering of "who's lily caede i don't know her and her little oopsie-doopsies aren't the point"). Or teenage boys preyed upon by adult cis women.

somersetchris

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 26, 2021, 01:29:43 PMI accidentally clicked the bio on his blog, and it notes that he now has "thousands of paid subscribers", so being a lazy, disengenous hate preacher is obviously very profitable:

Or it's just a lie. Who would pay money to read links to articles he hasn't even written himself? Even if the stuff he does write is just a re-hash of exactly the same ideas as are being peddled by dozens on Twitter. They all write the same way, they're impossible to tell apart.

Quote from: somersetchris on November 26, 2021, 02:12:00 PMOr it's just a lie. Who would pay money to read links to articles he hasn't even written himself? Even if the stuff he does write is just a re-hash of exactly the same ideas as are being peddled by dozens on Twitter. They all write the same way, they're impossible to tell apart.

I think that line is put there by substack, I clicked through his bio and this is his top follow.

Also I'd say 80%-90% of his stuff is on Mumsnet's FWR board (for free) in the proceeding days before he"curates" it for the SGB.

DrGreggles

The handful of responses he gets to any of his journalisms suggests that the "thousands of subscribers" may be a wee bit of an exageration.

It's there because it implies both the poster and platform are more popular and successful than they actually are, so it's in both their interests for it to remain.

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 26, 2021, 02:06:18 PM#NotOurCrimes pisses me off because women are absolutely capable of sexual assault and child abuse. In fact, some experts believe that the number of female offenders is much higher than previously thought, not because of tRaNs PrEdAtOrS but because of under-reporting and archaic laws with rigid definitions of rape. For people who love pissing themselves about the poor lesbians they sure don't give a fuck about lesbians who are abused by cis lesbians (as illustrated by all the blustering of "who's lily caede i don't know her and her little oopsie-doopsies aren't the point"). Or teenage boys preyed upon by adult cis women.

There was an example just last month of a cis female former PE teacher convicted of grooming and sexually assaulting a 16 year old female pupil. Not a peep out of any of them sure as shit don't start claiming all cis women are a danger to girls

JamesTC

It has previously been pointed out that, at the beginning, he gave away paid subscriptions. I would hope his actual paid subscribers is in the low hundreds.

idunnosomename

you can subscribe for free too, just missing out on the locked posts. and it might count people who subscribed and then unsubbed.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Pimhole on November 26, 2021, 02:05:05 PMThe picture was what appeared on Twitter. I remember seeing it in my 'What's Happening' push notification area yesterday. It looks like he's used a screen grab of that.

Yeah, sorry, I went and checked myself; what I meant was I dunno if the tweet author chose that specific pic to accompany the tweet, or whether it automatically pulled it from the article.