Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:32:16 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barry Admin

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 26, 2021, 02:17:04 PMI think that line is put there by substack, I clicked through his bio and this is his top follow.

Also I'd say 80%-90% of his stuff is on Mumsnet's FWR board (for free) in the proceeding days before he"curates" it for the SGB.

Lmao I just did the exact same! It's definitely genuine, and the same bold text in other blogs makes it clear that Substack put that in there themselves.

Quote from: JamesTC on November 26, 2021, 02:20:52 PMIt has previously been pointed out that, at the beginning, he gave away paid subscriptions. I would hope his actual paid subscribers is in the low hundreds.

Can you see someone so lazy and greedy handing out hundreds or thousands of subscriptions, when he's constantly grifting for cash?

As far as I'm aware, the free subscriptions relates to a comment in one of his early blogs where he said he might give subs away to people he followed on Twitter, if they caught him when he was plastered. Then he quickly went into turbo-grift mode.

Substack say he's got thousands of paid subscribers; I'd believe it. Relatively low engagement etc can be explained by the fact it's primarily an email newsletter.

thr0b

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 26, 2021, 01:24:02 PM

I can't see the problem - a little impersonal?

Could also be their living room. Not uncommon for people with decent sized houses to have cots in more than one room. And in any case, two-year-olds aren't that fussy about decor, as long as it doesn't scare them.

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 26, 2021, 02:32:34 PMSubstack sat he's got thousands of paid subscribers; I'd believe it.

Me too, although his posts rarely get more than 70-80 likes and 20-30 unique subscribers in the comments. (does anyone just read email newsletters anymore?)

I thought the USP of his substack was the uninhibited comments (something you can't do on twitter/mumsnet), I can't see the point of paying for what is readily available elsewhere otherwise.

jobotic

The main thing about that baby's room is what fucking business is it of anyone else's what that baby's room looks like?

Barry Admin

Quote from: Better Midlands on November 26, 2021, 02:40:22 PMMe too, although his posts rarely get more than 70-80 likes and 20-30 unique subscribers in the comments. (does anyone just read email newsletters anymore?)

Aye, boomers.

QuoteI thought the USP of his substack was the uninhibited comments (something you can't do on twitter/mumsnet), I can't see the point of paying for what is readily available elsewhere otherwise.

Some of them will just like getting an email from the bloke who co-wrote Father Ted, and will likely reply directly to them because they now have a false sense of friendship. My Mum gets Facebook spam shit from some BBC producer, and she doesn't really fully understand the whole dynamic, tbh.

Transphobes also tend to have a lot of disposable income, and just want to throw money at anything transphobic in the hope it makes it all go away. It's their way of trying to help, and is constantly exploited by the likes of Linehan, Posie Parker, Birdy Rose etc.

Where they don't have much cash - like the poor auld doll who said she is giving Linehan her state pension - then they find a way to pay anyway, as they're constantly told how awful and important it all is.

Also bear in mind that Twitter isn't that fun or intuitive when you don't use it. I can totally understand all these boomers not knowing where to get all the shit Linehan constantly bombards them with.

George Oscar Bluth II

Yeah I don't think engagement is particularly relevant for an email newsletter. I'm subscribed (free tier only of course) to a couple of Substack things and I've never been to the actual website or left a comment or anything, I just skim them when they arrive. I imagine Graham's followers are the same.

Kankurette

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 26, 2021, 02:06:18 PM#NotOurCrimes pisses me off because women are absolutely capable of sexual assault and child abuse. In fact, some experts believe that the number of female offenders is much higher than previously thought, not because of tRaNs PrEdAtOrS but because of under-reporting and archaic laws with rigid definitions of rape. For people who love pissing themselves about the poor lesbians they sure don't give a fuck about lesbians who are abused by cis lesbians (as illustrated by all the blustering of "who's lily caede i don't know her and her little oopsie-doopsies aren't the point"). Or teenage boys preyed upon by adult cis women.
When I was a legal secretary, we had a case of an adult female tennis instructor who got done for statutory rape of a teenage girl. And there's loads of cases both here and in the US of adult female teachers shagging male pupils, but there's a huge double standard because female teachers shagging male students is hot, amirite lads, it's what I go to school for. Notes on a Scandal might be fiction, but it did a brilliant job of pointing out how fucked up the double standard is.

YouCantWriteTearsJimmy

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on November 26, 2021, 02:06:18 PM#NotOurCrimes pisses me off because women are absolutely capable of sexual assault and child abuse. In fact, some experts believe that the number of female offenders is much higher than previously thought, not because of tRaNs PrEdAtOrS but because of under-reporting and archaic laws with rigid definitions of rape. For people who love pissing themselves about the poor lesbians they sure don't give a fuck about lesbians who are abused by cis lesbians (as illustrated by all the blustering of "who's lily caede i don't know her and her little oopsie-doopsies aren't the point"). Or teenage boys preyed upon by adult cis women.

Off the top of my head i can name three women who were complicit in kidnap and rape. Myra Hindley, Rose West and the wife of Ian Huntley ... i mean, you could make the case it was for their male partners, but i don't think the victims would care much for such pedantry. And that's just in the UK :/

And i don't want to say that women are equally dangerous as men, or vice versa , or deny gendered violence, or some dumb whataboutism. But i think you're all smart to know this, this isn't a SGB.

Gusty OWindflap

There's a section in the latest journalism where BC's headlines begin to approach self awareness...

Quote from: A cunt wot's gone bananasDidn't know what was going on for a second
Not enough people realise this is a crowdsourced religion
More Bragg, I'm afraid
Two publications, both seemingly run by clowns
How will we explain this stupidity to our children?
Old habits die hard

Greyum's subconscious wants out.

Ferris

QuoteDidn't know what was going on for a second
Not enough people realise this is a crowdsourced religion
More Bragg, I'm afraid
Two publications, both seemingly run by clowns
How will we explain this stupidity to our children?
Old habits die hard

An excellent example of Found Poetry.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Found_poetry

FalknerHinton

The good news is that they'll never have to work out how to "explain this stupidity" to their kids, on account of none of their kids speaking to them.

QuoteTwo publications, both seemingly run by clowns

QuoteMore Bragg, I'm afraid

Not that's there's any doubt that that's him.

chveik

we know that billionaires like Peter Thiel and the Koch brothers are handing out paid subscriptions for right wing cancel culture weirdos' substacks (Bari Weiss, Andrew Sullivan etc.) to a shitload of people. it can't be a coincidence that all the big hitters on there are all pushing the same type of propaganda.

i dunno if Glinner is on the payroll but i wouldn't be that surprised if he was.

Mister Six

Quote from: canadagoose on November 26, 2021, 12:26:46 PMSomething you might like to sign if you're fed up of transphobia in the SNP:

https://twitter.com/JoDanCk/status/1464167820409950239

Just highlighting this for those that missed it. I've signed too.

wrec

Just when I think I have the measure of him, he surprises me with novel new displays of prejudice!

A story about upsettingly racist reactions to a couple's adopted child, and his reaction is, of course people will pass comment, they're "different races"! The unhinged assumption that one of them has adopted an older man (I honestly can't work out which man he thinks is older) is full-on gay panic homophobia that would make Jeremy Irons blush. "Where's the child / mother" is such a weak protest that can't obscure the racism and homophobia and in fact highlights how tropes such as "women are being erased" and "somebody please think of the children" are veils that can be awkwardly applied when unapproved behaviour (too gay! playing the race card!) is afoot.

I think transphobia is exactly the same mindset as homophobia and racism, and anyone addicted to criticism of people's private behaviour is not going to stop at just 'pure' transphobia. The anti-woke stance will inevitably lead to supposed feminists / leftists telling minorities their rights don't matter. Claiming the moral high ground and studied lack of self-awareness is such an indispensable part of the hardcore transphobe armoury that owning up to the unconscious biases we all have is out of the question.

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 25, 2021, 10:44:34 PMI'm sure there are some TERFs with otherwise normal liberal beliefs. But even among the leftist feminist TERFs in my experience they are anti-sex worker and have a bunch of other puritanical beliefs (anti-bi, anti-poly, anti-promiscuity, etc) and an urge to have people conform to their worldview and behaviour. I can see how being a vegan eco-activist could feed into it. But obviously generalising is dangerous. Mostly.

There was a big stink among them all when Philip Schoefield came out for "betraying his wife" and all that jazz. Even among a lot of the seemingly respected GC peeps. They're way further gone than most people seem to realise.

Kankurette

Quote from: chveik on November 26, 2021, 04:12:59 PMwe know that billionaires like Peter Thiel and the Koch brothers are handing out paid subscriptions for right wing cancel culture weirdos' substacks (Bari Weiss, Andrew Sullivan etc.) to a shitload of people. it can't be a coincidence that all the big hitters on there are all pushing the same type of propaganda.

i dunno if Glinner is on the payroll but i wouldn't be that surprised if he was.
Are they the people behind Lawrence Fox? I know he has got some of those types behind him.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: ageing white male celeb"We would be forced to have people of different colours and different sexes and we would have to have a trans [person]... You know life doesn't have to be like that. We can be separate and different."

Just like in, say, South Africa in the mid-80's?

Mister Six

Barry Admin

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 26, 2021, 07:50:01 PMhttps://www.stereogum.com/2168708/brian-may-brit-awards-gender-neutral-categories-queen-freddie-mercury/news/

Brian May enters.

Not what I was expecting at all from someone who is empathic enough to care about the fate of badgers.

Ha, he's getting totally shit on by the majority of commenters.

And this:

Quote from: Brian MayMay believes there is an "atmosphere of fear everywhere because people are afraid to say how they really think... I think so many people are feeling 'hang on, this isn't quite right.' But they don't dare say anything. Eventually there will be some kind of explosion."

...is just fucking tedious. He's presumably just another celeb who doesn't like getting contradicted on social networking. Plus, people 'saying what they really think' needs to also encompass criticism.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: Kankurette on November 26, 2021, 07:48:37 PMAre they the people behind Lawrence Fox? I know he has got some of those types behind him.

Wasn't his London mayor campaign (lol) funded by some UKIP money man?

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

a) Brian May would sell his own grandmother for a penny, who gives a shit what he thinks

b) A concern I had when I heard they were abolishing the male and female solo categories was that somehow, as if by magic, all the best solo artists going forward would mysteriously be men. I.e. that different categories were initially created because of institutional sexism. Then I thought a bit more about the music industry and the amount of female solo artists and decided eeehhhhh it's probably not like that any more. Only time will tell.

chveik

Quote from: Kankurette on November 26, 2021, 07:48:37 PMAre they the people behind Lawrence Fox? I know he has got some of those types behind him.

i have no idea. it's not much more than a hunch at this point but for instance Weiss got 14k substack suscribers in only six months, which is insane, and you can read this stuff for free, it's not like a patreon where you get premium content. imo there are billionaires trying to push their culture war agenda behind it, and it's probably also a money laundering scheme, because the numbers are huge for what is basically a glorified blog.

Fry

I still can't imagine looking back at the last few years and seeing the slow, creeping rise of facsitic rhetoric across the west, the destruction of the environment, the atomisation of society, the loss of any shared sense of reality or truth and the complete lack of trust in any political or media establishment felt by millions across the developed world, yet think The Brits getting rid of a couple of categories is what the great danger to society is.

Just ridiculous people. Utterly irrelevant, useless pricks.

Kankurette

Brian May continues to be irrelevant and out of touch as usual.

Fry, there is a Tory MP who thinks men do crimes because the Doctor is a woman.

bigfatheart

I guess it's easy when your fame has kept you divorced from most people's reality since 1974.

For what it's worth, when I was 11, I had to write an 'interview' with a famous person I admired for school, and I chose Brian May because I was dead into Queen. He didn't say anything cunty then, mostly just complimented me for liking Now I'm Here more than the bigger hits.

JamesTC

I'll never forgive Brian May for leaving as Chancellor of my Uni just before I graduated, which meant I got my degree from Lord Justice Leveson instead.

phes

"For instance, Freddie came from Zanzibar, he wasn't British, he wasn't white as such – nobody cares, nobody ever, ever discussed it."

Mainly I just can't fathom how utterly fucking detached and stupid he is to imagine that being in the biggest band in the world in the 1970/80s is somehow analogous to 99.999% of anyone's lives then or now. And I'm fucking staggered that someone who lived through AIDS in the 1980s and was so profoundly affected by it, thinks that not acknowledging the inequalities and prejudice minorities face is the way forwards