Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:24:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

idunnosomename

Harrop went too far with personal attacks online that didn't befit his professional status, but it's not really unlike what Forstater doubled down on and made a career out of

Zetetic

Quote from: buttgammon on November 30, 2021, 05:48:23 PMI'd also like to think that, having been on the receiving end of some really nasty bullying, I'd never become the bully. That would be an empathetic matter.
It's increasingly hard to see with Linehan at this point, but I think that empathy and justice really can be part of the impetus for being extremely unpleasant to some other people. It's just a matter of where you start and stop extending your preparedness to take on the feelings of others.

(I don't think this is completely absent from Linehan, even now, but it's buried under an awful lot of more simple righteousness and sunk cost bleurgh.)

HamishMacbeth

Quote from: Zetetic on November 30, 2021, 09:37:48 PMIt's increasingly hard to see with Linehan at this point, but I think that empathy and justice really can be part of the impetus for being extremely unpleasant to some other people. It's just a matter of where you start and stop extending your preparedness to take on the feelings of others.

(I don't think this is completely absent from Linehan, even now, but it's buried under an awful lot of more simple righteousness and sunk cost bleurgh.)

You can see it in the hard, black and white lines he draws around what he does. So he'll do these incredibly abhorent things, but he takes great care to outline exactly who is, and is not, an evil monster who needs to be treated with unmitigated dehumanising disdain.

I was bullied as a kid pretty badly too, and I don't want to generalise all people who've been through awful shit like that, but I can tell you from experience that one of the worst things it can do to you is you can start to define yourself as the only victim in a world of cruel persecutors. Once you fall into that mindset, it can be very difficult to get yourself back to the place where you understand that sometimes you'll be in conflict with someone, and it'll be your fault.

That's pretty much what I see in Graham. He's lost everything, and he isn't equipped to understand that he's done it to himself because he's spent his last 30 years of personal success winning over his enemies inside his own head, instead of dealing with his shit.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: HamishMacbeth on November 30, 2021, 10:06:38 PMYou can see it in the hard, black and white lines he draws around what he does. So he'll do these incredibly abhorent things, but he takes great care to outline exactly who is, and is not, an evil monster who needs to be treated with unmitigated dehumanising disdain.

I was bullied as a kid pretty badly too, and I don't want to generalise all people who've been through awful shit like that, but I can tell you from experience that one of the worst things it can do to you is you can start to define yourself as the only victim in a world of cruel persecutors. Once you fall into that mindset, it can be very difficult to get yourself back to the place where you understand that sometimes you'll be in conflict with someone, and it'll be your fault.

That's pretty much what I see in Graham. He's lost everything, and he isn't equipped to understand that he's done it to himself because he's spent his last 30 years of personal success winning over his enemies inside his own head, instead of dealing with his shit.

I think you've explained this really well and I totally agree, cheers.

Dr Rock

Glinner seemingly lost his wife due to his twitter addiction and trans fixation. That loss could have been traumatic, and he could've blamed himself. But we now he's not the type to take any personal responsibility or say 'sorry, what I was doing was a problem' - no, the most comforting belief available is actually the trans stuff is really really important, more important than the wife; Glinner gets to tell himself his new cause is so earth-shatteringly serious, and he's essential to its success - he can compartmentalize the feelings about a failed marriage and estranged children by thinking he's God's Holy Warrior against the Forces Of Dakness, which is far more important than losing a family...

Don't know of he'll be able to compartmentalize that forever though.

Alberon

He still trots out the phrase 'when this is all over' so I don't think he's mentally prepared for this to go on forever.

I think even in the last year you can see him disappearing even further down the rabbit hole. I honestly think this state of affairs cannot carry on for that much longer. He's even starting to piss off the LGB Alliance crowd, and they're fucking arseholes.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 30, 2021, 10:35:15 PMGlinner seemingly lost his wife due to his twitter addiction and trans fixation. That loss could have been traumatic, and he could've blamed himself. But we now he's not the type to take any personal responsibility or say 'sorry, what I was doing was a problem' - no, the most comforting belief available is actually the trans stuff is really really important, more important than the wife; Glinner gets to tell himself his new cause is so earth-shatteringly serious, and he's essential to its success - he can compartmentalize the feelings about a failed marriage and estranged children by thinking he's God's Holy Warrior against the Forces Of Dakness, which is far more important than losing a family...

Don't know of he'll be able to compartmentalize that forever though.

It's the sunk cost fallacy, your need to win is all the greater, the bigger the cost you've already suffered.

Noodle Lizard

Quote from: buttgammon on November 30, 2021, 05:48:23 PMIt's easier said than done but I was badly bullied in school, which culminated in me getting badly beaten up and left me with something that may or may not have been PTSD, yet I can't say I think about the kids that bullied me or care what's become of them in the intervening fifteen years. Being able to leave this behind makes me lucky, I know that, but maintaining such a fixation deep into adulthood is very unhealthy, and it doesn't take much amateur psychology to see how that obsession fits in with the way he behaves now. I'd also like to think that, having been on the receiving end of some really nasty bullying, I'd never become the bully. That would be an empathetic matter.

I've been dealing with this kind of thing a little with my stepson, and reading more about it has sort of reshaped my thoughts on what bullying actually does. Conventionally, you'd see the bullied as victims, and that's absolutely true in each individual instance, but the actual effect it has on the victim is far more insidious and long-lasting. The average school bully is likely to grow up and stop being a prick, but someone who was the victim of their bullying has a likelihood of growing up and trying to "get their own back" in one way or another. Power becomes so much more important to them, and when you couple that with a general disdain or hatred for their peers you can end up with some truly unpleasant people.

I think a lot of school bullying is sort of natural; underdeveloped people trying to discover or assert their place in the "pecking order", often without the necessary experience to have full empathy. That kind of bullying comes from carelessness and wanting respect more than anything else. It's a chicken-egg situation when it comes to the kind of bullies that tend to dominate the "adult" sphere of things - more often than not, they were bullied or disliked in school, but the resentment they hold is absolutely poisonous.

The worst bully in my stepson's school is completely unliked. The popular kids might be mean because they know they're desirable and can afford to be arrogant to some extent (in fact, their arrogance might make them more desirable), but the other kid hates everyone precisely because he isn't desirable (i.e. bad at sports, bad grades, bad social skills). The popular kids are easy enough to fix or develop, because they essentially want to be liked and have plenty going for them, but kids like that are very difficult to get through to because they basically don't care about being likeable in any conventional sense, they just want power given to them. These are the types who end up being police officers or, if they're very lucky, ruthless executives. Or perhaps they do manage to find success in following their passions, but it's all for nothing if they're not "getting one over" on the types of people they perceived as being responsible for their misery.

I'm not entirely sure if this applies to Glinner (I still maintain he's got something wrong with him, perhaps OCD or severe anxiety), but I've written it now.

buttgammon

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 30, 2021, 11:32:38 PMI've been dealing with this kind of thing a little with my stepson, and reading more about it has sort of reshaped my thoughts on what bullying actually does. Conventionally, you'd see the bullied as victims, and that's absolutely true in each individual instance, but the actual effect it has on the victim is far more insidious and long-lasting. The average school bully is likely to grow up and stop being a prick, but someone who was the victim of their bullying has a likelihood of growing up and trying to "get their own back" in one way or another. Power becomes so much more important to them, and when you couple that with a general disdain or hatred for their peers you can end up with some truly unpleasant people.

I think a lot of school bullying is sort of natural; underdeveloped people trying to discover or assert their place in the "pecking order", often without the necessary experience to have full empathy. That kind of bullying comes from carelessness and wanting respect more than anything else. It's a chicken-egg situation when it comes to the kind of bullies that tend to dominate the "adult" sphere of things - more often than not, they were bullied or disliked in school, but the resentment they hold is absolutely poisonous.

The worst bully in my stepson's school is completely unliked. The popular kids might be mean because they know they're desirable and can afford to be arrogant to some extent (in fact, their arrogance might make them more desirable), but the other kid hates everyone precisely because he isn't desirable (i.e. bad at sports, bad grades, bad social skills). The popular kids are easy enough to fix or develop, because they essentially want to be liked and have plenty going for them, but kids like that are very difficult to get through to because they basically don't care about being likeable in any conventional sense, they just want power given to them. These are the types who end up being police officers or, if they're very lucky, ruthless executives. Or perhaps they do manage to find success in following their passions, but it's all for nothing if they're not "getting one over" on the types of people they perceived as being responsible for their misery.

I'm not entirely sure if this applies to Glinner (I still maintain he's got something wrong with him, perhaps OCD or severe anxiety), but I've written it now.

An interesting post.

The victim mentality (as a consequence of being victimised) is definitely a thing and there was a point when I could've easily gone down that path myself but at the very least, managed to sublimate the bitterness and anger I had into other things and they're honestly not there any more. When it comes to the revenge mindset, that's when things get corrosive.

Cold Meat Platter

daf

Quote from: jamiefairlie on November 30, 2021, 11:23:47 PMIt's the sunk cost fallacy, your need to win is all the greater, the bigger the cost you've already suffered.

Has he learned nothing from Willie Thorne?

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 30, 2021, 05:42:51 PMNew blog:

Any projection there I wonder?

Actually I just read further on, and see he uses the blog to get his usual digs in at Katie Herzog, Stephanie Hayden and Joss Prior... so, yeah.

So this is the last paragraph, right?

Now you're thinking, with Glin being some sort of journalist / blogger hybrid, that those red hyperlinks under those people's names would link to his previous journalisms on them, right?

Nope, it just links to their Twitter accounts.

Cunt's mind is gone.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Cold Meat Platter on December 01, 2021, 12:02:19 AMIt's hard to read this and not start ticking off a checklist

That does tend to get applied to a lot of people though, e.g. transphobes constantly call trans women narcs and run through the whole checklist.

HPD is what I've thought for ages, but again, it's just easy to see vague similarities and go "ahh, yep." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histrionic_personality_disorder

Might be just OCD and an epic dose of what CM once termed "showbiz flu", if you see what I mean.

Re: the earlier chat, I was bullied and stuff as well cause I was taller than everyone but quiet. Conflict averse so didn't fight back, except on a few occasions, and those guys never came near me again because they got lifted up and thrown down hills like hay bales etc. Like Glinner, I have an absolutely horrible tendency to dwell on stuff even when I don't want to, and it's torture, but when I think back to those times, I only really blame myself.

You can definitely see how his desire to get even has spiralled out of control, to the point where he now wants to affect the standing and rights of an entire minority, simply because he couldn't take criticism on the chin.

Cold Meat Platter

Quote from: Barry Admin on December 01, 2021, 01:18:37 AMThat does tend to get applied to a lot of people though, e.g. transphobes constantly call trans women narcs and run through the whole checklist.

HPD is what I've thought for ages, but again, it's just easy to see vague similarities and go "ahh, yep." https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histrionic_personality_disorder

Might be just OCD and an epic dose of what CM once termed "showbiz flu", if you see what I mean.

Re: the earlier chat, I was bullied and stuff as well cause I was taller than everyone but quiet. Conflict averse so didn't fight back, except on a few occasions, and those guys never came near me again because they got lifted up and thrown down hills like hay bales etc. Like Glinner, I have an absolutely horrible tendency to dwell on stuff even when I don't want to, and it's torture, but when I think back to those times, I only really blame myself.

You can definitely see how his desire to get even has spiralled out of control, to the point where he now wants to affect the standing and rights of an entire minority, simply because he couldn't take criticism on the chin.

I think it's maybe common for the cluster B disorders to be comorbid? Maybe Trenter could clarify if he's in.

Zetetic

They're all extremely dubious and handwavy characterisations, historically mostly used in practice to exclude people from services, so that's part of the reason why you can usually "start ticking off a checklist" for anyone that you don't like (particularly if doing so has no actual relevance to your understanding of the person and why they behave they way they do).

Barry Admin

Thanks, that's a good explanation, and we should all be wary of being Google doctors for sure. I've dealt with and dated actual narcissists, and they're fucking scary.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: Buttered Ghost on December 01, 2021, 01:00:53 AMit just links to their Twitter accounts.
Of course it does, how else would you send your flying monkeys to ask the penis question if you don't link their Twitter?  They'd have to search their names and who's got time for that when you are busy making up fantasies about old men in kilts.

I do worry about his headstate of 'when this is all over'.  My current pet theory is that he's in a depression about the wife and kids thing, couple that with the COVID blues he really needs this 'being acceptive of trans people' to go away.

Otherwise what's he got?  Cum stained trousers and a hate blog.

YouCantWriteTearsJimmy

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 01, 2021, 02:46:05 AMOtherwise what's he got?  Cum stained trousers and a hate blog.

The adoration of about 30 persons? I don't know. That's enough for people with social media addiction to keep him going. It's never going to end.

It's The Mess this afternoon right? Let's see how BC handles Mortygate as the furore on Twitter has only died down since last night.

Kankurette

For what it's worth, Mumsnet is OBSESSED with narcissists and narcissism. Constantly talking about how this or that parent or sibling is a narc.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 01, 2021, 02:46:05 AMI do worry about his headstate of 'when this is all over'.  My current pet theory is that he's in a depression about the wife and kids thing, couple that with the COVID blues he really needs this 'being acceptive of trans people' to go away.

Otherwise what's he got?  Cum stained trousers and a hate blog.
I think Covid has taught us all a lot about "when this is over" thinking - the idea of one last push or a little more sacrifice and then you'll be home free - and then Xmas is cancelled again. Obviously this metaphor doesn't apply in all details, but even if Glinner was genuinely facing some real adversity rather than an entirely imaginary threat, he needs to learn to live his life and stay connected to the people he loves rather than sink into the grief hole. I wonder if he has some sort of depressive desire to do nothing and keep going in circles forever, because there's something very comforting about wallowing in your own sadness. But the longer it continues, the deeper he will get. Can you imagine what it would take David Icke to become a productive member of society? Glinner is approaching that.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Kankurette on December 01, 2021, 10:14:06 AMFor what it's worth, Mumsnet is OBSESSED with narcissists and narcissism. Constantly talking about how this or that parent or sibling is a narc.
Reddit does this, too.  They even have a subreddit for it, r/raisedbynarcissists.  There must be something reassuring about calling people who've hurt you narcissists.

Kankurette

My therapist suggested my mum might be one. She really, really isn't. She has very little self-confidence, for one thing, and she didn't do the scapegoat/golden child thing narc parents do.

BennyHedgehog

Usually Glinner's YT channel has a video for his upcoming Wednesday sordid grief vlog, today there's none.

On top of that Paul Blarty Morty hasn't been back to twitter since his radfem slating kerfuffle.

Could that be the end of it?

madhair60

Quote from: BennyHedgehog on December 01, 2021, 10:47:29 AMUsually Glinner's YT channel has a video for his upcoming Wednesday sordid grief vlog, today there's none.

The Mess We're In remained silent.

Sonny_Jim

I love the pickle they've got themselves into.  Get rid of Arty and it's 'cancel culture gone mad', don't get rid of him and they won't be getting that sweet, sweet winter fuel allowance cash.

TommyTurnips

I follow this thread quite closely and I'm not really sure what Arty Morty did. I saw all the screen shots a few pages back and he was throwing the word AGP which I'm not sure what that means (auto gynaphilic person maybe?). I'm guessing that basically he took his transphobia a step further than most terfs are comfortable with.

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 01, 2021, 11:10:48 AMI love the pickle they've got themselves into.  Get rid of Arty and it's 'cancel culture gone mad', don't get rid of him and they won't be getting that sweet, sweet winter fuel allowance cash.

Peniswoman is surely going to lose face on Feminist Twitter if she continues to appear alongside him on the show

Quote from: TommyTurnips on December 01, 2021, 11:13:02 AMI follow this thread quite closely and I'm not really sure what Arty Morty did.

To cut a long story short he basically said radfems were responsible for the death of his AGP friend.