Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 06:49:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

Was it not Descartes who once said, "reality is real"? It's like saying "symbolically is symbols." No wonder they find "woman = adult human female" so profound

DrGreggles

service@spreadshirt.co.uk

Just in case you wish to register your concern about their platform being used for the new bananarmy and bananavy store.

Mister Six

Quote from: bgmnts on December 07, 2021, 01:04:30 PMIs Twitter done really? Feels like the biggest thing in the world at the moment.

The president of the USA was communicating mainly through the medium. And he's probably the most well known person in the world.

It's misleading, because so many journalists are addicted to the fucking awful site, so it has a really high prominence in the media, but the actual active userbase is low (something like 200 million worldwide, compared to Facebook's 3 billion). Twitter's CEO just stepped down, too, after (IIRC) failing to meet targets for user-revenue conversion.

It's odd, I know a lot of otherwise reasonable people in the news media who get very defensive when you point out how inaccurate Twitter is at representing the wider population, especially within their very self-selecting social
media bubbles. Some of them really got sucked into the Bernie Bro narrative because of that, too, even when I showed them the Harvard (I think?) study that showed Bernie supporters were no worse than anyone else's followers, on the whole.

No wonder Graham went bananas.

Quote from: Better Midlands on December 07, 2021, 01:15:54 PM

Be the envy of all your friends.

Don't know why, but I immediately thought of The Human Centipede there.

Zetetic

Quote from: somersetchris on December 07, 2021, 01:47:10 PMGraham, you are aware that a man being referred to as a white knight acting on behalf of women is not actually a compliment?

Wouldn't be surprised if he actually unironically thinks that.

Mister Six

Quote from: Kankurette on December 07, 2021, 03:29:02 PMMine is in her sixties and she does find the idea of being trans/NB a bit hard to get her head around, BUT she isn't a TERF - she likes Greer but disagrees with her on trans stuff - and finds the whole obsession with trans stuff a bit weird. As does my stepdad. ("Life's too short.") And she likes Grayson Perry.

My mum's brother used to date a trans woman in the 80s or 90s. My mum, who's now in her 70s, always got on well with her, and continues to use appropriate pronouns. Sadly, she mentioned at the weekend that my dad had been reading what she referred to darkly as "those websites" - I think just browsing the Daily Mail or something, rather than leaping fully on board the banana boat - and had been complaining about a pre-transition trans woman who'd raped some other women in prison, so we might end up having A Talk about that at some point. My mum seems to be okayish, though she has trouble acknowledging trans women are women even if they don't have bottom surgery.

Better than being on a one-way trip to Bananageddon, I suppose.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Zetetic on December 07, 2021, 05:13:52 PMThis misogynistic shit, ironic or earnest, helps no-one and I think you should stop it.

I don't know what you are on about. Misogynistic how?? Why can't I post an image of someone I find attractive who happens to be trans? Did that offend anyone?

Zetetic

That's not what I quoted. Appealing to "they're angry because they're ugly" dogshit.

Mister Six

TBF, that could apply to male TERFs too.

Ambient Sheep

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 07, 2021, 05:44:44 PMI don't know what you are on about. Misogynistic how?? Why can't I post an image of someone I find attractive who happens to be trans? Did that offend anyone?

For future reference, you can click the "Quote from..." bit on a quote box and it takes you to the post being quoted.

(Was the same on the old forum software too, but the "Obvious Things You've Only Just Realised" thread taught us that loads of people didn't/don't know that.  Apologies if you did.)

Dr Rock

Quote from: Zetetic on December 07, 2021, 05:53:47 PMThat's not what I quoted. Appealing to "they're angry because they're ugly" dogshit.

Oh. I think you're massively overeating, but noted. No need to be rude sweetheart.

pigamus

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 07, 2021, 06:22:45 PMOh. I think you're massively overeating, but noted. No need to be rude sweetheart.

Yeah fuck off fatty

Dr Rock

Cuellar

JaDanketies

Anyone else's internet been going slow today? I think it might be because the Glinner thread is over 100 pages

Milo

frajer

Quote from: Cuellar on December 07, 2021, 07:33:39 PMJK Rowling

The Honorary JK Rowling Christmess We're In Christmas Luncheon*

*After last year we are legally obligated to state JK Rowling will not be in attendance, and any comments regarding her shopping habits are purely conjecture from a cunt which has gone bananas.

pigamus

I was doing a joke about what I assumed was a funny typo, just to be clear

apopheniac

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 07, 2021, 04:29:06 PMWas it not Descartes who once said, "reality is real"? It's like saying "symbolically is symbols." No wonder they find "woman = adult human female" so profound

It's my favourite, because you can tell they wanted to put something about trans people not believing in reality on a t-shirt, but had juuuuust enough self=awareness to think that might send the wrong message about them not being hateful bigots. So, instead, it's this meaningless phrase.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: frajer on December 07, 2021, 07:47:28 PMThe Honorary JK Rowling Christmess We're In Christmas Luncheon*

*After last year we are legally obligated to state JK Rowling will not be in attendance, and any comments regarding her shopping habits are purely conjecture from a cunt which has gone bananas.

**Futhermore, Helen will not be joining us this year because she is a TRAITOR who thinks she's too good for us now she gets tweets from Our Beloved JK. Also she's a girl and girls are yucky.

Dr Rock

I noticed 'The Stanisland Question'was suspiciously missing from the bingo card.

canadagoose

Kankurette

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 07, 2021, 04:17:02 PMThere is no terf that attractive, and that's what drives them bananas
Don't. It doesn't matter what they look like. It's their beliefs that should be attacked, not their looks.

Dr Rock