Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:57:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pigamus

Quote from: canadagoose on December 07, 2021, 08:18:20 PMI'd buy this T-shirt. Are there any plans for a CaB merchandise store yet?

Can you do it print-on-demand like you can with books? Might be feasible then, I'd certainly be in the market for a Bananacunt mug and keyring set

Alberon

It's not my artwork so I can't put it up for sale anywhere, much as I'd like to.

Zetetic

Quote from: pigamus on December 07, 2021, 07:51:05 PMI was doing a joke about what I assumed was a funny typo, just to be clear
I understand that; it's simply coincidence that I'm dangerously overweight.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: pigamus on December 07, 2021, 09:24:42 PMCan you do it print-on-demand like you can with books? Might be feasible then, I'd certainly be in the market for a Bananacunt mug and keyring set

I'm 99% sure that all the tat on Graham's shop website is going to be print on demand. There's no way he's had all that made and sitting in boxes in his grief hole.

phes

Course it is. You can get that stuff printed on about 50 different things so there's no way there's a stock. Appalling watching people flaunt their bigotry but on the plus side they'll be easily spotted by the few and completely impenetrable and ridiculous to the many. How are they so bad at communicating. 

Kankurette

I wonder how many of them actually will wear that crap to work.

Gusty OWindflap

Shitter, crappier
Less productive
Uncomfortable
Probably drinking too much
Never exercise at the gym (3 days a week)
Getting on worse with your transphobic contemporaries
Unease
Eating, well (carbonara)
Impatient
A racecar (do you sleep in a racecar?)
Sleeping, well (bad dreams)
Paranoia
Careful to small animals (irrepressible moleys)
Keep in contact with old friends (fuck you, Gaiman)
Favours for favours
Slower and more calculated
No chance of escape
Now self-employed (but powerless)
Twitter, not wealthier or more productive
A Christmas pig
In a rage
On a sordid grief blog

Cold Meat Platter

Defining yourself (even quasi-ironically) as being exclusionary with respect to a minority group is quite something, no?

jobotic

they're hardly excluding trans people from they're thoughts are they? They're fucking obsessed and don't seem to have much time for getting on with some feminism.

Trans Obsessed Rubbish Feminists they should be called. TORFS. Yeah?

Cold Meat Platter

So what are trans people being excluded from? Would they like to spell that out? Feminism? Reality? humanity?
It's such a confused collection of prejudices and ignorance I'm not sure it even qualifies as an ideology.
A desperate victim fantasy stoked by bad faith has-beens and sociopaths.

Alberon

I think as the last week or so has shown even the transphobes can't agree. There's some who just want them excluded from female spaces to those who want them removed from reality to those who refuse to accept they even exist in the first place.

chveik

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 07, 2021, 04:29:06 PMWas it not Descartes who once said, "reality is real"?

heh, german idealists were big fans of tautologies but i doubt glinner has been studying them

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Kankurette on December 07, 2021, 10:14:37 PMI wonder how many of them actually will wear that crap to work.
As outerwear? Zero. None. That's stuff you wear on a demo. All the designs are either a) too provocative b) too esoteric. Imagine wearing Glinner's stupid white knight avatar into work and having to explain to your colleagues what it is. Imagine having to explain internet bullshit to another adult who you have to deal with on a professional basis.

Cold Meat Platter

It's like the Limmy sketch where he writes "FUCK YE" on his chest and taps it in a passive aggressive way when he's pissed off.

Ferris

phes

Ronson's show yesterday ended with (paraphrasing) next week a story of a young girl growing up in the 1980s and how she would affect feminism in the 1990s and beyond

Still laughing at Graham's absolute ineptitude in thinking this was his opportunity to win against Ronson, and the subsequent mind-wrecking stewing on that, resulting in a game of banana bingo that doesn't even work. A close second to trying to get his twitter account back from a baffled house of lords 

hello house of lords pls stop these sick pervs acid bathing me here are 700 receipts of banana emojis

Sonny_Jim

I love how the pisstaking we've been doing about him has been spun into this 15 year long ordeal that he's had to suffer through:

"Yes Officer, I would like to report a hate crime"
"Ok sir, what's happened"
"There's people on the internet who hate me and they've done these really horrible pictures of me with cum stained trousers and they joke that I sleep in a racecar bed *sniffle* I LOVE YOU ARTY....I'm not a banana I'm really not *sobs*"

racecar bed indy 500

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 08, 2021, 08:58:30 AMI love how the pisstaking we've been doing about him has been spun into this 15 year long ordeal that he's had to suffer through:

"There's people on the internet who hate me and they've done these really horrible pictures of me with cum stained trousers and they joke that I sleep in a racecar bed *sniffle* I LOVE YOU ARTY....I'm not a banana I'm really not *sobs*"

And these threads weren't like a regular thing until his Mermaid's meltdown which was only 2 years ago or so 12 years ago, in Certified Banana Units.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on December 08, 2021, 08:58:30 AMI love how the pisstaking we've been doing about him has been spun into this 15 year long ordeal that he's had to suffer through:

Police Officer *stifling laugh*: I'm jotting it all down, sir. *Notebook: Cunt = Bananas*

Wullie’s Pal

Tamsin Greig  turns out to be not only a TERF but  admirer of Jordon Peterson too.
From The Telegraph Interview:

QuoteGreig has a disarmingly silvery voice – she would make a great therapist – but she is also a very sharp thinker. She makes all the right noises about the need to learn constructively from other people's sensitivities, but she is also concerned about the wider implications of modern cancel culture.  

She expresses admiration for people who are prepared to stand up for free speech, such as Jordan Peterson who, in 2016, refused to adopt gender neutral pronouns as requested by his students at the University of Toronto. "You have to have these people with their hot knife who cut through the butter,"
/quote]

She also says re :Friday Night Dinner

she is a practising Christian and not Jewish.
Quote"I think, given our sensitivity today about these issues,  I probably shouldn't have been in that show,"
Quote(Today? unlike the dark days of March 2020 when the series 6 first aired)

What a lot of Tosh.
No one has suggested she should to be same religion as the character she played In fact only one of the cast, Tom Rosenthal is of Jewish descent.
She obviously playing up to the anti-woke Tory-graph readership.
Sometimes it's better not to know the opinions of actors you have previously admired.

If you can't say anything nice .........

Dr Rock

Also she was born in Maidstone, but apparently this wasn't glitzy enough for her, and moved to London when she was three.

buttgammon

H-O-W-L

Quote from: Kankurette on December 06, 2021, 10:05:37 PMNobody tell her.

(Susan, I am not actually a former Sheffield Wednesday goalkeeper.)

Bit late but I am in fact both Judge Cassandra Anderson and/or Frank Horrigan, United States Secret Service. I am double mutant, woo!

madhair60

I'd quite like to see the full content of this Tamsin Grieg interview because I get cross

JaDanketies

For Grieg, and for Brian May too, I would expect that the journos needled them about divisive culture war subjects and then printed the divisivest thing they said, stripped of any context. She could've said, "Well since you keep asking about him, Jordan Peterson is a fucking bell-end. However, I suppose if I was being kind about him, I'd say you have to have these people with their hot knife who cut through the butter."

jobotic

Does she say I like Peterson or does she say "yeah I like free speech spose" and The telegraph add the rest?

Wullie’s Pal

Tamsin Greig Full interview
The actor talks about her new role as theatre agent Peggy Ramsay and tricky casting concerns in today's climate

Tamsin Greig is telling me about the first time the actor Simon Callow met the theatre agent Peggy Ramsay. "He went to her flat and she was wearing this diaphanous robe with nothing on underneath," she says. "She had put thousands of candles all through the flat like some sort of romantic grotto. She was 70. Seventy! Simon went away as though he had just encountered real love."

They don't make them like Peggy Ramsay anymore. The agent extraordinaire, who would go on to have a passionate platonic love affair with Callow, who is gay, represented in her heyday the cream of British playwrights: Alan Ayckbourn, Robert Bolt, Joe Orton. She was known – and feared – as much for her caustic tongue as for her ability to absorb a script on first reading as though it were a fully staged play.

And she was utterly sexually unabashed. "She would put her leg up on the table and sometimes the skirt would fall just so. People would say, 'Oh, put your fanny away Peggy' and she would think that hilarious. Now, obviously, we are not doing that for the good audiences of Hampstead Theatre. I've made it very clear nothing will be see-through."
Greig plays Ramsay in the Hampstead's forthcoming revival of Peggy For You, Alan Plater's deliciously funny, unexpectedly poignant 1992 theatrical love letter to his former agent. The role suits this most light-footed of actors down to the ground. She is known to millions for a string of roles, including the Jewish matriarch Jackie Goodman in Channel 4's sitcom Friday Night Dinner, which recently ended shortly after the death of Greig's beloved co-star Paul Ritter from a brain tumour.

Greig brings a silky gimlet wit to every part she plays, yet there is often a deeper, less visible sadness at work in her characters, too. "Simon describes Peggy as being like a flame that was never still, but also as someone who was very much alone. I am pretty interested in melancholy. I think we spend a lot of energy creating a top-spin of witty repartee to disguise the natural melancholy of being alive."
Of course, with series such as Episodes and Black Books, Greig is known for her comic work, but she is also a stage actor of considerable acclaim. For many theatre lovers, it was her Malvolia in Simon Godwin's 2017 gender-bending production of Twelfth Night at the National Theatre that really drew attention to her talents. Olivia's puritanical sourpuss servant, Malvolio, was recast as a desperately lonely woman stricken with unrequited love for her mistress, and thanks to Greig this figure of fun became heartbreakingly tragic.

The role was not without controversy – there were concerns expressed at the time, including in this paper, about whether women should be taking male roles, but Greig gives such objections short shrift. "I think the big male leads will be just fine," she says with a pointed smile. "Of course, today we might have other arguments over who should be playing what role. Someone might say, well, why were you playing Malvolia at all? You are married to a man [the actor turned writer Richard Leaf, with whom she has three teenage children]. How can you possibly know what it is to play a woman in love with a woman?"

Well, indeed. What would Greig say if someone were to make that argument? "I'd say that you don't know my past or where I stand," she says. "But I also think we should always be ready to grapple with our decisions." Still, it's a hornet's nest.

What about Friday Night Dinner? Greig had a paternal Ashkenazi great grandfather, who was a Rabbi, but she doesn't identify as Jewish – in fact, she is a practising Christian. "I think, given our sensitivity today about these issues, I probably shouldn't have been in that show," she says. "We are much more conscious today than we were when that show was first aired. For instance, Cleopatra has long been on my list of roles to play but I have to step back from that now, because Cleopatra needs to be played by someone who looks like they may have come from that area of the world. That's absolutely right. But I'll keep Lady Macbeth on the list," she adds mischievously. Thankfully, Greig is a Scottish name.

Greig has a disarmingly silvery voice – she would make a great therapist – but she is also a very sharp thinker. She makes all the right noises about the need to learn constructively from other people's sensitivities, but she is also concerned about the wider implications of modern cancel culture.
She expresses admiration for people who are prepared to stand up for free speech, such as Jordan Peterson who, in 2016, refused to adopt gender neutral pronouns as requested by his students at the University of Toronto. "You have to have these people with their hot knife who cut through the butter," she says. "Peggy Ramsay would have done, too: she was unafraid. She would be so vitriolic about shows being 'cancelled'. There is a line in Peggy For You when a playwright tells her the women's movement would have her shot after she says something cavalier about women and sex. And Peggy says: 'I sincerely hope every political movement ever invented would have me shot.'"

Greig's career has remained firmly this side of the pond, apart from her stint in Episodes, which was filmed in Los Angeles. Does she wish she could have worked more in America? "I always thought I wouldn't," she says. "I haven't done stuff to my face, I look my age. I got onto Episodes because I think you are probably allowed to be a bit [older] in a comedy drama. But there was definitely a bit of touching up going on in the edit." Did she resent that? "I think it just made me became slightly self-conscious, because I didn't used to think about my face and then I did. But maybe it's changing.

"During the summer, I worked with Andie MacDowell on the film My Happy Ending. She hasn't had any work done. Of course she's naturally extremely beautiful, but she can move her face. I found it thrilling to be in the presence of an American woman who goes, this is how I am."

She expresses admiration for people who are prepared to stand up for free speech, such as Jordan Peterson who, in 2016, refused to adopt gender neutral pronouns as requested by his students at the University of Toronto. "You have to have these people with their hot knife who cut through the butter," she says. "Peggy Ramsay would have done, too: she was unafraid. She would be so vitriolic about shows being 'cancelled'. There is a line in Peggy For You when a playwright tells her the women's movement would have her shot after she says something cavalier about women and sex. And Peggy says: 'I sincerely hope every political movement ever invented would have me shot.'"

Greig's career has remained firmly this side of the pond, apart from her stint in Episodes, which was filmed in Los Angeles. Does she wish she could have worked more in America? "I always thought I wouldn't," she says. "I haven't done stuff to my face, I look my age. I got onto Episodes because I think you are probably allowed to be a bit [older] in a comedy drama. But there was definitely a bit of touching up going on in the edit." Did she resent that? "I think it just made me became slightly self-conscious, because I didn't used to think about my face and then I did. But maybe it's changing.

"During the summer, I worked with Andie MacDowell on the film My Happy Ending. She hasn't had any work done. Of course she's naturally extremely beautiful, but she can move her face. I found it thrilling to be in the presence of an American woman who goes, this is how I am."

This Christmas, Greig will be seen in Mark Gatiss's television remake of the children's classic The Amazing Mr Blunden for Sky. Then there is her long running on-off role as Debbie Aldridge in The Archers. She is surely heading for national treasure status. What would she prefer, to win an Oscar or a damehood? Greig gives a howl of laughter. "I'm going to quote Peggy on this. She says: 'Everybody gets an award, it's just a matter of time. They give them to you for staying alive.' I think we sometimes look for value in the wrong places."

Earlier this year, she recorded a 10-part adaptation of Meet Me at the Museum, written by her husband, which was broadcast on Radio 4. Paul Ritter was also in the cast. It was the last piece of work he produced. "He was quite all over the place by that point, but when he was reading he was utterly alive," says Greig and her eyes start to glisten. "And this is how miraculous art can be.

"After he died, his sisters wrote to me to say that hearing him on the radio during that last week of his life was like him squeezing their hands when he couldn't move any more. Those words will always mean more to me than any damehood or Oscar."

king_tubby

Wullie’s Pal

Tamson Greig

You have to have these people with their hot knife who cut through the buttery Trans

JaDanketies

Just been 'investigating' and I can confirm that when Helen Serafinowicz was in LA at the Emmys, her kids were at home alone, and were not with their dad.