Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,797
  • Total Topics: 106,777
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 04:23:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pimhole

Cuellar

I don't agree with Greig there, and I'm not sure I believe anyone would seriously have objected to her being cast in Friday Night Dinner.

H-O-W-L

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 08, 2021, 12:09:27 PM<discussion about HS>

I know you mean well Danketies but I honestly think leaving her and her current life out of things is for the best, aye? She's away from Glinner for a reason, best to respect that.

I don't really want to speak for her or be a downer naggy figure in doing so, but I've been in a situation similar to hers where I distanced myself from a toxic shitgoblin and people regularly referenced "what they'd done to [me]" in discussions about them, and it was really proper shit. It's just miserable. You want to get away from the cunt, and I mean, sure, she probably doesn't read this thread, but people reading it might go away and reference it 'round her on social media or the like-- generating attitudes, you know?

Let 'er have her space. Let her get on with things on her own.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Cuellar on December 08, 2021, 12:13:31 PMI don't agree with Greig there, and I'm not sure I believe anyone would seriously have objected to her being cast in Friday Night Dinner.

Sarah Silverman said it would be nice if occasionally Jewish women got to play Jewish women.

madhair60

Based on that copy, I don't think Grieg is a TERF - the Peterson reference and stuff about pronouns seems to have been shoehorned in by the Telegraph.

Cuellar

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 08, 2021, 12:20:17 PMSarah Silverman said it would be nice if occasionally Jewish women got to play Jewish women.

Fair enough, but Tamsin Greig does have Jewish heritage. I don't know. I don't remember there being much 'discourse' when FND was on around the whole thing being problematic because none of the actors were Jewish (apart from Tracy Ann Obermann). Maybe I just wasn't looking particularly hard for it.

DreadedScotsman

A big chunk of that interview transcript feels like it has been inserted by the Torygraph after the fact, like the part about gender neutral pronouns or even that she explicitly expressed admiration for Peterson rather than just people like Peggy. Doesn't seem to be complaining about not being able to play roles more commenting on the fact that everyone is more conscious about the issues of the people playing a minority not being part of that minority.

idunnosomename

Quote from: JaDanketies on December 08, 2021, 12:09:27 PMJust been 'investigating' and I can confirm that when Helen Serafinowicz was in LA at the Emmys, her kids were at home alone, and were not with their dad.
well presumably that Rebecca is an adult?

anyway it really does hit that Graham has lost his family home "defending his reputation against being called a bigot". and, obvious jokes about beds aside, it's clear that his own residence doesn't have anywhere for his children to sleep.

lol

Wullie’s Pal

Quote from: madhair60 on December 08, 2021, 12:29:03 PMBased on that copy, I don't think Grieg is a TERF - the Peterson reference and stuff about pronouns seems to have been shoehorned in by the Telegraph.

You say shoehorned in.Do you think the Telegraph just invented it? What about
Quote"You have to have these people with their hot knife who cut through the butter,"/quote] . Who do you think she is referring to if not Peterson?

Dr Rock

There's suspiciously not a quote directly about Peterson, she could've been asked directly about him and said 'Not a fan but it's good that he defends free speech I spose' and those bastards would twist it.

dead-ced-dead

I'm also uncomfortable dragging Helen back into this. Can we not just be happy that Motherland is a roaring success and that she gets to attend award ceremonies without rubbing ol-cumpants' comparative downward spiral back at her?

madhair60

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 08, 2021, 12:43:54 PMThere's suspiciously not a quote directly about Peterson, she could've been asked directly about him and said 'Not a fan but it's good that he defends free speech I spose' and those bastards would twist it.

Quite; this here:

Quote"You have to have these people with their hot knife who cut through the butter," she says. "Peggy Ramsay would have done, too: she was unafraid. She would be so vitriolic about shows being 'cancelled'. There is a line in Peggy For You when a playwright tells her the women's movement would have her shot after she says something cavalier about women and sex. And Peggy says: 'I sincerely hope every political movement ever invented would have me shot.'"

positioned as it is, about shows being "cancelled", is talking about a character, presumably a firebrand character. The idea of "cutting the shit" or whatever doesn't necessarily refer to "wokeness", and I think this has been strategically shuffled around to make it seem that it does. I know, big shock.

There's no indication that Grieg herself mentioned pronouns, mentioned Peterson.

JaDanketies

Okay, source removed from my original post.

Quote from: idunnosomename on December 08, 2021, 12:32:52 PMwell presumably that Rebecca is an adult?

anyway it really does hit that Graham has lost his family home "defending his reputation against being called a bigot". and, obvious jokes about beds aside, it's clear that his own residence doesn't have anywhere for his children to sleep.

lol

I would think that the kids are now old enough now to be able to say, "I don't wanna go to dad's, I'd rather stay home" and to have this decision respected. I'd guess this is what happened. tbh I did the same when my dad went on a long holiday. Iirc I didn't even tell my mum about it. I get on with her okay nowadays though, she likes her grandson

JamesTC

Removed post.

Zetetic

Quote from: H-O-W-L on December 08, 2021, 12:18:39 PMI don't really want to speak for her or be a downer naggy figure in doing so
I don't think you are, and I'd hope that in this thread of all places we'd collectively be okay with pointing out behaviour that's dangerous or likely to upset people for bad reasons.

I should have been clearer and probably more polite in my post to @Dr Rock - I apologise for making it come across as a personal attack.

Dr Rock

phantom_power

I don't think Greig is saying any of that stuff in a "you can't even do it any more thanks to the wokerati" way, more commenting on how times have changed and people are more sensitive to that sort of thing now. And yes, the lack of direct quote about Peterson is a bit suspicious

buttgammon

I wonder if the Torygraph can write anything without crowbarring in some culture war bullshit. Being the sort of minor celebrity who elicits broadsheet interviews must be a minefield these days: you can't go a day without being doorstepped by some hack demanding to know what you think about some racist you've never heard of being mildly criticised by a student's union.

somersetchris

Is it too victim blamey to suggest you should just not give interviews to the Telegraph? Whenever I see links to Telegraph interviews you know it's never going to be good. You're tainted just by being in it.

Jack Shaftoe

Having worked with Tamsin Greig a while back, I would be very surprised if she was into any kind of Terfery, she always seemed pretty thoughtful and positive about all that stuff (which played against my own prejudices bearing in mind she's Christian AF). Not that people can't change, or maybe you didn't know them as well as you thought, but yeah, I would definitely give her the benefit of the doubt on that one, especially bearing in mind the source.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: somersetchris on December 08, 2021, 01:14:13 PMIs it too victim blamey to suggest you should just not give interviews to the Telegraph? Whenever I see links to Telegraph interviews you know it's never going to be good. You're tainted just by being in it.

I mean, ideally, yeah, but sometimes you have to agree to do a certain amount of publicity for whatever show you're in. If I had a new show and there was a possibility of an interview with the Mail, say, I'd probably grit my teeth and do it.

Wullie’s Pal

Quote from: buttgammon on December 08, 2021, 01:08:11 PMI wonder if the Torygraph can write anything without crowbarring in some culture war bullshit. Being the sort of minor celebrity who elicits broadsheet interviews must be a minefield these days: you can't go a day without being doorstepped by some hack demanding to know what you think about some racist you've never heard of being mildly criticised by a student's union.

On Reflection I think this is more likely the case, and I take back my earlier post. It is not a paper I usually read and should have read it a bit more carefully.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Yeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhh that Tamsin Greig quote could be about anything. We only have the interviewer's word for it that it's about Jordan Peterson and specifically about him shitting himself over pronouns.

MojoJojo

Quote from: Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse on December 08, 2021, 01:38:13 PMYeeeaaaaahhhhhhhhh that Tamsin Greig quote could be about anything. We only have the interviewer's word for it that it's about Jordan Peterson and specifically about him shitting himself over pronouns.

Not even that, they just say "like" Peterson. It's briefly mentioned in that article, but the Telegraph made a trans controversy over Grieg playing a traditionally male role in a production of Twelfth Night a few years back. Even though the character wasn't trans and had they'd just changed a traditional male character to a female one (including changing the name to a feminine one). Just all culture war bollocks.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Dr Rock on December 08, 2021, 12:20:17 PMSarah Silverman said it would be nice if occasionally Jewish women got to play Jewish women.
I know there have been some grumblings over The Marvellous Ms Maisel, specifically her half of the family (refined, genteel, good-looking) being played by gentiles, while her husband and in-laws (money-grubbing, unpleasant, ugly) are all Jewish actors.

YouCantWriteTearsJimmy

Quote from: king_tubby on December 08, 2021, 12:04:18 PMPretty sure Greig could play the Cleopatra, who was Greek.

She has the nose for it. It's a nice nose.

The Guppy

Seen this interview with Tamsin Greig? It's dynamite stuff!

QuoteShe expresses admiration for people who are prepared to stand up for free speech, such as The Guppy from off Cook'd and Bomb'd, who, in 2021, refused to fall for culture war bollocks written by Claire Allfree in the Daily Telegraph, and also said that incidentally, Glinner is a fuckface. "You have to have these people with their hot knife who cut through the butter," she says.

dissolute ocelot

EDIT: I see this was already mentioned above.

Greig has also played a male character on stage, Malvolio in what was apparently a very queer production of Twelfth Night. That maybe also explains why she wouldn't say "only a 16th century Italian man can play a character in Twelfth Night".

Dog Botherer

isn't most british people's experience of Peterson that recent tv appearance where he came across as a blustering ignorant windbag? was really starting to think that the right had given up on him a bit.

buttgammon

Quote from: Dog Botherer on December 08, 2021, 02:21:27 PMisn't most british people's experience of Peterson that recent tv appearance where he came across as a blustering ignorant windbag? was really starting to think that the right had given up on him a bit.

My mum watches Question Time for some unknown reason and the thing that alerted me to him being on it was her saying some awful man had been on it and seemed like a clueless shitstirrer (I'm paraphrasing). I looked up who'd been on the previous night and bingo!