Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 12:01:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Glinna sadda defeata: 13 going on TERFy: How do you 13eat 13eaver 13other

Started by madhair60, November 03, 2021, 10:22:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mister Six

Quote from: MojoJojo on December 08, 2021, 01:44:16 PMNot even that, they just say "like" Peterson. It's briefly mentioned in that article, but the Telegraph made a trans controversy over Grieg playing a traditionally male role in a production of Twelfth Night a few years back. Even though the character wasn't trans and had they'd just changed a traditional male character to a female one (including changing the name to a feminine one).

And, I'm guessing, not mentioning that Shakespeare productions have been mixing up race and gender for decades, to the point that it's utterly unremarkable in theatre.

Plus, obviously, lads played all the women's roles back in the day.

EDIT: New page cunny.

shoulders

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on December 08, 2021, 01:19:03 PMI mean, ideally, yeah, but sometimes you have to agree to do a certain amount of publicity for whatever show you're in. If I had a new show and there was a possibility of an interview with the Mail, say, I'd probably grit my teeth and do it.

Surely if it was a show the Mail would be interested enough interview for, then  it would be reasonably mid or high profile and you'd have your pick of the papers and potentially some radio stuff at the very least?

It's hard to see a scenario where the interview was only available in the Mail or only the Telegraph, and so pretty difficult to defend that choice, morally.

In my opinion.

YouCantWriteTearsJimmy

Quote from: Dog Botherer on December 08, 2021, 02:21:27 PMisn't most british people's experience of Peterson that recent tv appearance where he came across as a blustering ignorant windbag? was really starting to think that the right had given up on him a bit.

Recent? Or the three year old one?

Mister Six

Quote from: shoulders on December 08, 2021, 03:01:39 PMSurely if it was a show the Mail would be interested enough interview for, then  it would be reasonably mid or high profile and you'd have your pick of the papers and potentially some radio stuff at the very least?

It's hard to see a scenario where the interview was only available in the Mail or only the Telegraph, and so pretty difficult to defend that choice, morally.

In my opinion.

Is she promoting something? Might have been sorted by the production house's PR team as part of a contractually obligated marketing push.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: Mister Six on December 08, 2021, 03:12:33 PMIs she promoting something? Might have been sorted by the production house's PR team as part of a contractually obligated marketing push.

Yeah, this is the most likely scenario. If she is promoting something, she wouldn't have much choice in who she talks to, it would all be organised above her head.

shoulders

Quote from: Mister Six on December 08, 2021, 03:12:33 PMIs she promoting something? Might have been sorted by the production house's PR team as part of a contractually obligated marketing push.

There are some performers and writers out there working who appear to feature in mainstream work but draw a line at which outlet they will interview for. The above post suggests a degree of helplessness on their part which I'm sure isn't true. I can certainly conceive that many use this to absolve themselves, but that's not really relevant.

I'm just suggesting the option is likely to not be 'Mail interview or no equivalent profile interview', regardless of the PR team involved.

If the arranged catering doesn't provide vegan options the vegan actors aren't going to suddenly eat meat.

Mister Six

Or maybe she just doesn't know how shit the Torygraph is. Not everyone is as clued up and fired up as the average CaBber, or as (rightfully) disdainful of anything Tory related. She might just think "Oh, it's a Conservative newspaper. Well everyone has their own beliefs."

Or she might be a Tory, I dunno.

Ferris

Bit late to this thread but its absolutely bang out of order to mention kids or former partners, and fucking creepy to post updates. That's not the focus of the thread; never has been and never should be.

I'm kind of amazed someone thought that would be ok to post and suspect BAdmin will remove the posts when he sees them.

shoulders

Quote from: Mister Six on December 08, 2021, 03:20:16 PMOr maybe she just doesn't know how shit the Torygraph is. Not everyone is as clued up and fired up as the average CaBber, or as (rightfully) disdainful of anything Tory related. She might just think "Oh, it's a Conservative newspaper. Well everyone has their own beliefs."

Yes, I don't doubt that. I'm responding to JS' post about what he'd do.

canadagoose

Quote from: Ferris on December 08, 2021, 03:20:21 PMBit late to this thread but its absolutely bang out of order to mention kids or former partners, and fucking creepy to post updates. That's not the focus of the thread; never has been and never should be.

I'm kind of amazed someone thought that would be ok to post and suspect BAdmin will remove the posts when he sees them.
Yes, I'm with you there. Probably best if that discussion is suppressed (IMO).

In terms of Greig I don't see any evidence of bananament, just the Telegraph being its usual shitty self and pushing culture war BS. She seems OK to me.

somersetchris

Quote from: Jack Shaftoe on December 08, 2021, 01:17:40 PMHaving worked with Tamsin Greig a while back, I would be very surprised if she was into any kind of Terfery, she always seemed pretty thoughtful and positive about all that stuff (which played against my own prejudices bearing in mind she's Christian AF). Not that people can't change, or maybe you didn't know them as well as you thought, but yeah, I would definitely give her the benefit of the doubt on that one, especially bearing in mind the source.

I don't know much about Tamsin Greig so I rolled my eyes pretty hard but in fairness that is exactly how I felt about the Brian May interview. Even if he is sceptical or confused about trans people he is the most mild-mannered, non-confrontational (some would say boring) man in the entire world and the way it was reported just isn't the way he speaks, about anything. His rebuttal was much more the kind of tone you expect from him which is why it did not feel like a manufactured climb-down to me.

Jack Shaftoe

Quote from: shoulders on December 08, 2021, 03:01:39 PMSurely if it was a show the Mail would be interested enough interview for, then  it would be reasonably mid or high profile and you'd have your pick of the papers and potentially some radio stuff at the very least?

In my opinion.

Perfectly valid! Honestly, I go backwards and forwards on this myself.

Wullie’s Pal

Quote from: Mister Six on December 08, 2021, 03:20:16 PMOr maybe she just doesn't know how shit the Torygraph is. Not everyone is as clued up and fired up as the average CaBber, or as (rightfully) disdainful of anything Tory related. She might just think "Oh, it's a Conservative newspaper. Well everyone has their own beliefs."

She sounds or like a Lib Dem or a fence sitter
from The Guardian Re: her interpretation of Romeo & Juliet

QuoteHow is the play relevant and resonant today?
In Romeo and Juliet there's so much division in society, yet it's difficult to pinpoint who are Montagues and who are Capulets. That reflects where we've come to. Be they Democrats or Republicans, Labour or Tory, politicians look pretty much the same. It speaks to our polarisation. We need visionaries, like Mercutio or the Prince, who can build a middle ground and establish a conversation. Without that, people are going to lose lives. It's young people who pay the price

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2021/apr/04/tamsin-greig-romeo-and-juliet-sky-meet-me-museum-interview

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on December 08, 2021, 03:16:00 PMYeah, this is the most likely scenario. If she is promoting something, she wouldn't have much choice in who she talks to, it would all be organised above her head.

I'm pretty sure the bylined journalist of the interview is a freelancer, there's every chance she didn't even know where the thing would be published

BennyHedgehog

Sordid grief vlog is running. Arty seems to have rubbed black shoe polish all over his head

greencalx

As an aside, I was doing some Python coding earlier and stumbled across a method called maketrans. Glinner would be apoplectic if he knew! (Which he does now, of course, because he's reading this thread. Hi!)

Alberon

Can't be bothered to waste my life listening to it. The bit I tuned in on was Linehan going "W-wh-w-wh-wh-wh-w-wh where are we at then?" He's as bad at presenting as everything else.

480 watching live. Really peaking isn't it? And one person at least is emojing bananas in the live chat.

canadagoose

Quote from: Alberon on December 08, 2021, 05:40:30 PMCan't be bothered to waste my life listening to it. The bit I tuned in on was Linehan going "W-wh-w-wh-wh-wh-w-wh where are we at then?" He's as bad at presenting as everything else.

480 watching live. Really peaking isn't it? And one person at least is emojing bananas in the live chat.
Seems like Arty Marty, Penisland and Esses are dominating things and Reverend Graham is just standing back and making the odd inane comment. It's all so disjointed, isn't it? Just randomly bringing up points that they think are clever but are actually extremely 🍌🍌🍌.

retsuza

I tuned in for a second and Graham says he "can't do therapy" because "I cannot talk about myself". Hmm.

frajer

Quote from: retsuza on December 08, 2021, 06:01:49 PMI tuned in for a second and Graham says he "can't do therapy" because "I cannot talk about myself". Hmm.

Jesus where would anyone even START with him

canadagoose

Quote from: frajer on December 08, 2021, 06:33:03 PMJesus where would anyone even START with him
He's less banana and more onion. All the layers you'd have to peel back to get to the juicy centre.

FalknerHinton

Because I was bored yesterday, and because I'm extremely vindictive when motivated, I emailed Universal Studios yesterday about potential copyright infringements in Graham's little shop. Apparently my email has been passed to the enforcement department.

So Graham, if the Universal lawyers get in touch, you're extremely fucking welcome.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: FalknerHinton on December 08, 2021, 07:12:51 PMBecause I was bored yesterday, and because I'm extremely vindictive when motivated, I emailed Universal Studios yesterday about potential copyright infringements in Graham's little shop. Apparently my email has been passed to the enforcement department.

So Graham, if the Universal lawyers get in touch, you're extremely fucking welcome.
how dare you attack his livelihood

somersetchris

Quote from: retsuza on December 08, 2021, 06:01:49 PMI tuned in for a second and Graham says he "can't do therapy" because "I cannot talk about myself". Hmm.

Imagine all the pain and suffering that could have been avoided if he'd gone to therapy.

"So Graham, why do you think it is that you find it so difficult to accept criticism of a potentially offensive character in your sitcom?"

"Shut UP! FUCK OFF!!"

phes

Oh I can't talk about myself says man who spends literally every waking minute talking about what's wrong with other people and definitely not doing any projecting no sir

QDRPHNC

Before each CBT session, I think Graham would need 3 to 4 hours of primal scream therapy in a room by himself, where he can beat the shit out of a chair dressed as everyone who has ever wronged him. When he's a crumpled broken crying heap on the floor, the real work can begin in earnest.

somersetchris

Quote from: phes on December 08, 2021, 08:04:55 PMOh I can't talk about myself says man who spends literally every waking minute talking about what's wrong with other people and definitely not doing any projecting no sir

'But you should see the other side, none of their arguments make any sense, they're totally obsessed with this one issue and spend all day arguing about it on social media, they're so abusive that they bully and harass everyone who disagrees with them and they even constantly argue amongst themselves. Absolutely bananas, they are!'

Cuellar

Quote from: QDRPHNC on December 08, 2021, 08:08:58 PMBefore each CBT session, I think Graham would need 3 to 4 hours of primal scream therapy in a room by himself, where he can beat the shit out of a chair dressed as everyone who has ever wronged him. When he's a crumpled broken crying heap on the floor, the real work can begin in earnest.

Moley don't goooOoooOoOOOOOO
Arty come hooooommeeee

shoulders