The all-new generic Aussie comedy thread

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 04, 2021, 12:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Aaron Chen was fantastic on the most recent "Have You Been Paying Attention?", reducing the other panelists to fits of laughter multiple times (and, it felt like, causing Ed to have a pop at him a few times, as if he was annoyed he was so funny).

samadriel

After watching this week's HYBPA I had a dream that a blond Aaron Chen stole my backpack. Er, anyway, It was good to see him on the show, but I don't think Ed has any history of being jealous of other panelists getting major yucks - if anything, I'd say Ed's flaw in the show might be that he too often wants to give the straight answer. Basically the opposite of Tony. But really, he still brings enough laughs that I have no complaints.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: samadriel on November 12, 2021, 03:31:33 PM
After watching this week's HYBPA I had a dream that a blond Aaron Chen stole my backpack. Er, anyway, It was good to see him on the show, but I don't think Ed has any history of being jealous of other panelists getting major yucks - if anything, I'd say Ed's flaw in the show might be that he too often wants to give the straight answer. Basically the opposite of Tony. But really, he still brings enough laughs that I have no complaints.
Agreed - I've never noticed it before, which is why it was slightly odd to me last night. Someone like him is crucial on that show to occasionally provide a correct answer, when there's been enough funny stuff / diversions.

I also really like new regular-ish cast member Emma Holland, who is (according to her bio) one of the writers on the show too. I thought she fit in immediately, and now I know why.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: hey_botham on November 08, 2021, 04:40:26 AM
The guys from The Bazura Project have just released a new podcast about cinema and it is absolutely chockers with gags. Really dense, well-written stuff (especially if you're a film nerd)...
https://podcasts.apple.com/au/podcast/the-bazura-projects-radio-free-cinema/id1587712059
Densely written is right, but I'm ten minutes into the first episode and more of it has fallen completely flat than worked. A Katherine Heigl gag in 2021?

samadriel

Speaking of Ed (in my previous post, anyway), I'm a fan of the TEAM Effort podcasts, sadly rarely updated these days, but also the Ross Noble podcasts (don't be turned off if, like me, you don't favour Noble's stand-up), and Dilruk's Mad Stacks, Dilruk Jayasinha's podcast about GETTING RICH OR DYING TRYING which is surprisingly funny, and Dilruk occasionally drops some pearls of wisdom about how he lives his life which impress my tiny mind with their sensibility. Ash Williams is an incredible sleazebag, but somehow he manages to make a whole podcast consisting solely of anecdotes about his old get-rich-quick schemes, promoting his current get-rich-quick schemes, and... that's about it. I listened to quite a few of his shows before the repetitiveness knocked me out of it, I'm not sure I'm recommending it, but... it's a slightly fascinating listen, and the episodes are nice and short, which is rare for podcasts. I'm not sure the podcast format works for sitcom scripts, but Tony Martin's Childproof did still have some laughs. Tony's ABC interview series from a decade ago, A Quiet Word can be partially found on YouTube (it shocks me that they still haven't put up the Carrie Fisher episode, I really wanted to see it after she died), he talks to some UK actors as well as Shaun Micallef, so there's possibly much of interest to the UK viewer.

Famous Mortimer

I like Ash Williams' podcast a lot, even if it is exactly as you describe. Lockdown has stymied him, though, because you can't get a lot of his sort of stories when you're just helping an elderly neighbor take a table that someone left out by the bins. An event that's now stretched over...three episodes? There's not enough meat on that bone. Although, like you said, they're nice and short (often not hitting 20 minutes).

Small Man Big Horse

Quote from: Small Man Big Horse on November 09, 2021, 02:24:56 PM
I'd not heard of it before reading this thread but am also a huge Sam Campbell fan, and found that the first three episodes are here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNuaFLcbAeycQAIAW5s7T0Q - and hopefully the guy will upload the final episode soon.

All four episodes of Nippers Of Dead Bird Bay are now up on that youtube channel, I've watched them all and they're pretty damn great, very silly and absurd and something which made me laugh a fair deal.

13 schoolyards

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 12, 2021, 04:15:27 PM
Densely written is right, but I'm ten minutes into the first episode and more of it has fallen completely flat than worked. A Katherine Heigl gag in 2021?

I believe there was quite a lengthy production period behind it - it was originally a pilot for a community radio station... four or five years ago? Plus I think originally it was written with no idea who'd be in it (it has an "all-star" cast now because the lengthy production period meant they had time to ask a lot of names to appear in bit roles), which makes it a bit more writer-led than performance-led, if that distinction makes sense.

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 12, 2021, 02:14:29 PM
Aaron Chen was fantastic on the most recent "Have You Been Paying Attention?", reducing the other panelists to fits of laughter multiple times (and, it felt like, causing Ed to have a pop at him a few times, as if he was annoyed he was so funny).

I thought Ed was getting shirty because it seemed like literally every female being mentioned on the show was an ex of his

13 schoolyards

Annoyingly tasmanites seems to have dropped off the face of the earth, which means I'll have to try to remember to watch the final of The Cheap Seats as it goes to air

Famous Mortimer

Dammit. I've had no look with 10Play and VPNs, so I'll have to keep my fingers crossed someone grabs it.

icehaven

I've watched most of the Aunty Donna Netflix series now and it's the very definition of hit and miss for me, some absolutely brilliant stuff that had me howling and some that was so bad I couldn't believe it was by the same people. Someone might have already said it but they could do with dialling back the exaggerated live/improv performance style a bit for TV as it soon grates, but without losing the cartoonishness that makes some of the sillier ideas work so well.