Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 27, 2024, 01:21:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length

The all-new generic Aussie comedy thread

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 04, 2021, 12:57:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

samadriel

I've never seen Denise Scott act, but I like her on HYBPA, and I like the premise enough to try it out. Shame to hear the original is on Stan, I'd like to rewatch it. Can't bloody ABC put their archives online or something? Sigh. I really,  really want to watch Carrie Fisher's episode of "A Quiet Word", and for some reason Tony Martin hasn't put it on YT.

famethrowa

Quote from: Urinal Cake on November 24, 2022, 05:16:34 AMThe premise doesn't sound awful. Okine as an Arthur seems inspired but unsure Denise Scott has the acting chops. I think there's half a dozen actors who could play older/younger that would do a better job https://www.theguardian.com/media/2022/nov/24/mother-and-son-abc-to-reboot-beloved-sitcom-with-comedians-denise-scott-and-matt-okine

Sounds fairly awful. Seems like we have 2 non-actors who are going to try to pull off the "dementia is funny" thing, and that's a fucking fine line in this day and age. Ruth C and Norman Gunston were very good actors, with talents far beyond cracking wise on panel shows. Also, Okine may be too hip and cool to play Arthur's pathos. Who's gonna play Robbie? Scott Cam?

Urinal Cake

I really haven't seen Okine act but his stand up character fits with a version of Arthur. But who is going to play Robert?

Mother and Son was a bit naff but compared to the current state of Australian comedy atleast there's the bones of something to aspire to.

13 schoolyards

It really just sounds like the latest excuse for Okine to play himself, which is probably for the best as he hasn't really tried to play anyone else yet. Scott isn't an great actor but she can do confused pretty well, though if they could have held out a few more years maybe they could have got Judith Lucy which would have been interesting

I suspect as well this version will go hard(er) on the dramedy angle, just to defuse any "dementia for laughs is not on in 2023" press. It'll be a sombre series about a defeated man struggling with his wacky yet tragic mother where there are no laughs at all in the final ten minutes of every episode but we do get to learn a valuable lesson about forgiveness and perseverance and so on.

Considering the ABC's current audience is firmly pension age and above, it'd have been great if they'd done a remake that was 100% on the mother's side and made Arthur completely crap, but with Okine in the driving seat that seems a little unlikely

It also seems that Utopia is back (again) for a... fifth? season. The well seemed pretty much dry there during the last season but I guess for the ABC and Working Dog it's an easy and relatively risk-free show to bring back. It does look like next year's comedy pickings will be pretty slim on the ABC, but hopefully there's a few more series to come that they didn't announce today.

This has been on Youtube since Christmas. It was recorded on the 15th of July 2022 in Sydney as it says in the description.