Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 18, 2024, 09:38:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Only Fools and Blu-Rays

Started by JamesTC, November 04, 2021, 06:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Video Game Fan 2000

Quote from: JamesTC on November 07, 2021, 11:00:17 PM
I did actually have a thought that it would be hilarious if they couldn't get Livin' La Vida Loca so had to replace it with stock music. Or even better, just complete silence.

The Trotters all lined up wearing sunglasses while "The Gonk" plays in the background.

chveik

or
Quote from: Video Game Fan 2000 on November 07, 2021, 11:11:28 PM
The Trotters all lined up wearing sunglasses while "Hamburger Lady" plays in the background.

Glebe

The Trotters all lined up while 'Bela Lugosi's Dead' plays in the background.

Quote from: Ignatius_S on November 07, 2021, 09:27:46 PMGoing from memory, at least one piece of music was substituted for another due to rights clearance - although there could be technical difficulties doing this, I suspect there also a difficulty justifying the time and energy spent of it compared to a cut. On the other hand, IIRC, on the DVDs one episode was cut due to a lack of music clearance, but did have an extra scene that wasn't broadcast.

Aside from Pink Floyd's aforementioned 'Money' and 'O Fortuna' as Damien's theme, another music edit that comes to mind is the removal of Dylan's 'Quinn the Eskimo (Mighty Quinn)' from 'The Class of '62'... I think you can still hear Del and the boys singing a little bit of it though.

JamesTC

The Trotters all lined up wearing sunglasses while 'We're So Sorry Uncle Albert' plays in the background.

Glebe

They couldn't get generic stock library music so they had to replace it with Living the Loco Life.

easytarget

I hope they finally reveal what kind of music Mickey Pearce likes

Glebe

Quote from: easytarget on November 16, 2021, 04:12:46 AMI hope they finally reveal what kind of music Mickey Pearce likes

Ska, surely?

JamesTC

Early signs look good for the restoration.

Titles:

Film section:

Video section:

Even the video sections look good. All episodes are uncut aside from a "GLR jingle" replaced in two episodes. Don't know what the GLR jingle is, but nice to know all music and scenes have been restored. My set will hopefully arrive Tuesday as HMV was late sending it out.

Glebe

Looks sharp but degrained. Hmmm.

JamesTC

Very happy with the restoration. The DNR is probably a little too aggressive on the video sections but it is clear that a lot of care has been taken. This is not one of those slapdash DNR it and shove it on a disc.

Find the contrast between how Del is written in To Hull and Back and A Royal Flush interesting. Going from the man who will give himself up for his family and friends (some of whom have just sold him out) to the drunken selfish oaf is striking. It almost feels like John Sullivan felt he'd gone too far in making Del the hero and threw it too far in the other direction.

prelektric

QuoteVARIOUS EPISODES
Scenes involving the music from 'The Omen' where Rodney looks at Damien have been cut from many episodes on BBC video and replaced by a similar track.

In the interests of all that is holy and pure, I feel the irrational need to correct this every time I bloody see it. Boils my piss. Not directed at anyone here, but the author(s) of that article, however...

(Deep breath) - IT'S NOT FROM THE FUCKING OMEN YOU PLEBIAN TWATS!

I do wonder whether this weird confusion between Carl Orff's "O Fortuna" and Jerry Goldsmith's Oscar winning "Ave Satani" from The Omen started off because of Only Fools.

I also wonder if the original use of Carl Orff in the episodes, instead of yer actual Goldsmith track, was probably cheaper to license by the BBC at the time. So they just used that, because it sounded funnier in that context. Even if most people in the UK at the time would associate "O Fortuna" with a certain brand of popular male vanity/deodorant products.

weirdbeard

Just saw To Hull And Back from this set. Glorious.

Let's hope there's more of this kind of thing to come. A HD release of To Hull And Back was a holy grail for me for years. Next was probably One Foot In The Algarve.

weirdbeard

I see A Royal Flush is just as bad as I remember it when I last saw it years ago. A few good one-liners but cunty Del makes the whole thing painful to get through.

Utter Shit

I had Fatal Extraction on yesterday and it struck me that the ending is quite odd and ambiguous - is the intention that it's a (second) twist and that
Spoiler alert
Beverley actually IS a psycho who was trying to punish Del for his behaviour?
[close]

easytarget

Everyone remembers the bit in Heroes and Villains where they burst into the sombre party dressed as The Dynamic Duo, they forget the bit where uncle Albert drinks Cassandra's piss.

Sounds like an HS Art thing but, nope Sullivan was ahead of the game once again.

JamesTC

Lots of piss in Fools and Horses. Uncle Albert drinks Cassandra's piss. Del drinks Rodney's piss. Rodney sits in Uncle Albert's piss. Damian pisses off a diving board.

easytarget

"Give Denzil another pint of diesel, same again for Boycie, non-alcoholic lager top for this plonker and I'll have a Baileys with Marleen's piss in it."

He just keeps sneaking them in.