Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:33:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Fuck me, the Graham Norton Show is soul destroying

Started by kalowski, November 05, 2021, 11:05:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the science eel

Quote from: poodlefaker on November 08, 2021, 01:20:34 PM
His Radio 2 show is spoiled by the fact that he obviously has truly appalling taste or no real interest in the music he plays. AT least Ross/Andy Davis would occasionally slip some good stuff in, whereas Norton is happy with the usual R2 dreck.

Wossy is a major music fan. I remember him being quite clearly overjoyed when Roxy Music appeared on his show and did 'In Every Dream Home....' just a few years ago. Similar thing with Sparks, too, I think.

turnstyle

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 08, 2021, 10:37:15 PM
I remember Natalie Imbrulia talking about biting both ends off a biscuit and drinking tea through it?

I think at one point some TimTams were brought out, so that would fit.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: the science eel on November 08, 2021, 10:54:09 PM
Wossy is a major music fan. I remember him being quite clearly overjoyed when Roxy Music appeared on his show and did 'In Every Dream Home....' just a few years ago. Similar thing with Sparks, too, I think.

Not convinced.

https://twitter.com/wossy/status/1457284557267509250

He used to ignore my requests for Robbie Robertson, Runrig and The Raspberries as well.

ProvanFan

I remember on Norton's Channel 4 show if they had, say, an actor on and could think of a particularly relevant bit of music for them to walk out to, they would play that, but if they had nowt they'd just play Filmstar by Suede. Always felt a bit bad for the ones who got Sueded.

mothman

I bet Ross wakes up swearing from nightmares where he's no longer "lucky enough" to get invited to stuff.

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 09, 2021, 12:05:17 AM
Not convinced.

https://twitter.com/wossy/status/1457284557267509250

He used to ignore my requests for Robbie Robertson, Runrig and The Raspberries as well.

That's odd, he was more than happy to play my requests for Wet Wet Wet, Westworld ( remember them? # Sonic Boom Boy! # lovely stuff) and Wally and the Wankers ( underrated combo, that lot).

Lisa Jesusandmarychain

phantom_power

Unfortunately Jonathan Ross gets a lifetime pass for all the good stuff he did in the late 80s and early 90s, introducing people to Vic and Bob, Sam Raimi, Jackie Chan and the like.

Graham Norton's show is fine for what it is. I am not sure what people expect from a Friday night light chat show. It did however have one of the best bits of TV magic in a while, courtesy of Chris Pratt, of all people:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fy3Mi8rOB3U

gilbertharding

Quote from: phantom_power on November 09, 2021, 09:10:23 AM
Graham Norton's show is fine for what it is. I am not sure what people expect from a Friday night light chat show.

Well, I for one expect it to be as 'fine for what it is' as it was about 10 (or even 5) years ago. Perhaps that is a lot to expect. I dunno.

Head Gardener

I have a mate who's job it is to edit and translate the GNS into foreign languages for BBC overseas, it's well paid apparently

thr0b

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 08, 2021, 01:18:35 PM
Regarding Graham Norton - it used to be a good show, as others have noted. Big American stars, plied with booze, being made to sit next to someone from Silent Witness or Miriam Margoles. Now it's shit. The 'big American stars' are now just wankers from the latest superhero shit, on an obvious publicity drive which they can't even be bothered to pretend isn't happening. And the anecdotes and party tricks are so boring.

The other thing is that the "all at once" guest interview was alien to the Big American Guests, who for thirty-forty years were used to the Monologue/Big Guest/Second Tier Guest/Variety Act lineup.

Then Corden blatantly (and explicitly stated that he had) copied Norton's way of doing things for his show. Although Covid has meant that he's had to go back to the traditional style more often recently.

I don't mind Corden's show, especially since Covid. It's much more stripped-back and zoo style, with the studio mostly filled with crew and the vice-president of CBS late night joining in.

I still miss Ferguson, clearly the best of the late night hosts ever, EVER. Though I understand why he wanted to stop. (And get a lot of money for being passed over for the bigger show which he didn't want to do anyway.)

notjosh

Quote from: phantom_power on November 09, 2021, 09:10:23 AM
Unfortunately Jonathan Ross gets a lifetime pass for all the good stuff he did in the late 80s and early 90s, introducing people to Vic and Bob, Sam Raimi, Jackie Chan and the like.

He talked about that stuff recently on Joe Dante's Movies That Made Me podcast, which was reasonably entertaining. It seems those shows were also bootlegged and popular on the underground circuit in the states:
https://trailersfromhell.com/podcast/jonathan-ross/

Anyone who recognises Jackie Chan's status as the greatest performer to have graced a cinema screen is alright by me.

Magnum Valentino

I think Edgar Wright has said the Sam Raimi episode was the exact thing that made him pursue becoming a director.

And look, we got three good films out of it!

Thanks Wossy!

I saw him walk by in town one day while Jane Goldman was over producing or casting or something behind the scenes-y and wanted to go up to him to tell him how much I liked his Steve Ditko documentary and those director profiles, but, well, I didn't.

bobloblaw

Quote from: thr0b on November 09, 2021, 01:52:36 PM
The other thing is that the "all at once" guest interview was alien to the Big American Guests, who for thirty-forty years were used to the Monologue/Big Guest/Second Tier Guest/Variety Act lineup.

Then Corden blatantly (and explicitly stated that he had) copied Norton's way of doing things for his show. Although Covid has meant that he's had to go back to the traditional style more often recently.

I don't mind Corden's show, especially since Covid. It's much more stripped-back and zoo style, with the studio mostly filled with crew and the vice-president of CBS late night joining in.

I still miss Ferguson, clearly the best of the late night hosts ever, EVER. Though I understand why he wanted to stop. (And get a lot of money for being passed over for the bigger show which he didn't want to do anyway.)

and you still get the ones who are still too big for the sofa and either demand their own solo slot or make a separate appearance alongside the lesser guests 20 minutes into the show to avoid listening to everyone else's stories.

and now Zoom has taken this a step further - just dial into them for an allocated 5-minute slot, either live or before the show

Tony Tony Tony

Quote from: Head Gardener on November 09, 2021, 10:02:10 AM
I have a mate who's job it is to edit and translate the GNS into foreign languages for BBC overseas, it's well paid apparently

It had feckin well have to be.

Twit 2

dp

Twit 2

Quote from: bobloblaw on November 09, 2021, 03:27:43 PM
and you still get the ones who are still too big for the sofa and either demand their own solo slot or make a separate appearance alongside the lesser guests 20 minutes into the show to avoid listening to everyone else's stories.

and now Zoom has taken this a step further - just dial into them for an allocated 5-minute slot, either live or before the show

I imagine that might be more down scheduling rather than ego. Somewhere else to be.

Glebe

I wish Graham Norton just had people like Gary Gizmo on his show every week.

kalowski

I am rebooting this thread. I caught a bit in Friday (why do I do this to myself) and people I genuinely like, specifically Cate Blanchett, got caught up in the anecdote love fest and made me angry.
This show should be destroyed.

Blue Jam

Quote from: thr0b on November 06, 2021, 12:33:09 PMAnd everyone seems to ignore that for every time a US show gets someone BIG like Bowie, they have thirty editions where the guests are a news reporter, the lead from a newly launched sitcom that is already likely to be cancelled, someone you don't know promoting a book you'll never buy, and The Potato Lady.

;) The Larry Sanders Show gets this very, very right.

BlodwynPig

Quote from: Twonty Gostelow on November 06, 2021, 12:16:12 PMI'd prefer 'bitter irony' - I was stroking my beard at the time. Seems most people prefer chat-show hosts who can fake-laugh at anything.

So right. I guess that changing of the guard ushered in the new epoch of shallowness and vacuity (or one of the many touchpoints in the drive to dumb down by C4, BEEB and the wider entertainment industry).

Jonathan Ross 2099 stomping on your face forever.

Sonny_Jim

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 08, 2021, 10:37:15 PMI remember Natalie Imbrulia talking about biting both ends off a biscuit and drinking tea through it?
It's called a Tim Tam Slam and is quite the thing.  I think the closest UK biscuit equivalent would be a Penguin?

In other tea/biscuit related activites, I'm reliably informed that placing a stroopwafel over your cup of coffee for a bit to soften it up is a winner.

pigamus

The Mollusk

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 15, 2023, 11:11:27 AMIt's called a Tim Tam Slam and is quite the thing.  I think the closest UK biscuit equivalent would be a Penguin?

I can confirm doing this with a Twix or a finger of Kit Kat is excellent. Have to be quick with the latter however as the liquid turns it into a flaccid melting mess of goo pretty quickly.

Dex Sawash

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 15, 2023, 11:11:27 AMI'm reliably informed that placing a stroopwafel over your cup of coffee for a bit to soften it up is a winner.

I've tried a few times but can't wait long enough because there is a stroopwafel right fucking there. Crunch.

ishantbekeepingit

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 15, 2023, 11:11:27 AMIt's called a Tim Tam Slam and is quite the thing.  I think the closest UK biscuit equivalent would be a Penguin?

In other tea/biscuit related activites, I'm reliably informed that placing a stroopwafel over your cup of coffee for a bit to soften it up is a winner.
No thanks, I like my cups solid, thanks.

dontpaintyourteeth

Quote from: The Mollusk on January 15, 2023, 11:18:05 PMI can confirm doing this with a Twix or a finger of Kit Kat is excellent. Have to be quick with the latter however as the liquid turns it into a flaccid melting mess of goo pretty quickly.

Can highly recommend a Rocky (or nearest own brand equivalent) for this activity