Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 16, 2024, 04:58:14 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22 - Welcome to our new ISIS Taliban overlords

Started by chveik, November 06, 2021, 12:22:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kankurette

So that's Smith, Bruce, Farke, Nuno and Xisco gone then. But not Solskjær. Benitez and Hasenhüttl still hanging in there.

phes

Kankurette

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Thursday on November 07, 2021, 01:40:01 PM
SMITH GONE... (You know... the Aston Villa one.)

In true fashion Villa went from looking like almost a normal club a few months ago to the still deranged cluster fuck we've seen over the last decade.  If they've sacked Smith without a big name back up time to be very concerned as we will be returning to the wilderness.

Smith caused himself loads of problems but sacking him is massively reactionary; he has done a lot for the club and could have turned things around (though obviously Europe off the cards and avoiding relegation the best we can hope for).  One of his main problems was not to secure the midfield with a decent DM and buying lots of short players for some reason.

Anyway; we are told that the owners know what they are doing and this might be them acting early so we will have to see whether they have a plan.

Thursday

With the amount of people going, It's starting to feel like a Tory reshuffle where one useless prick just get's moved around to another position they're ill-suited for.

Kankurette

That's the problem with modern football. Managers almost never get time. A bad run and boom, they're gone.

I like Villa and I hope you get someone decent and not one of those British Managers' Lunch Club twats.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Smith getting sacked seems premature, he overachieved last season and finishing anywhere above 13th this year would still have been fine. I didn't rate the guy highly but in that case definitely better the devil you know.

TrenterPercenter

It is premature; though from a completely clinical perspective I suspect the reasoning is for a new manager to have some time prior to January transfer window.  Smith would have almost certainly pulled things around and was a genuinely nice manager; you'll find most Villa fans not surprised but not happy about this any new manager needs to be impressive as Smith was pretty much universally adored by the fans.

So weird after the Man Utd game he was being spoken about as the heart and soul of Villa now 5 games on is sacked.  Performance has just tanked for some reason and it doesn't really make sense the players are not that bad even.

Quote from: Kankurette on November 07, 2021, 02:41:58 PM
I like Villa and I hope you get someone decent and not one of those British Managers' Lunch Club twats.

Gerard and Lampard in the running; please no.

Chollis

Quote from: Kankurette on November 07, 2021, 02:41:58 PM
That's the problem with modern football. Managers almost never get time. A bad run and boom, they're gone.

you seen who's managing Man United?

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: mr. logic on November 07, 2021, 03:22:50 PM
Is Terry still hanging around at Villa?

No, he left a while back but he is of course in the rumours to come back as manager.

Chollis

bit harsh on Everton this, Richarlison gets "fouled" in the box by Lloris 1on1, the ball is still in play and Richarlison gets back up and has a decent chance to score. Ref stops it and blows for penalty. Ref then checks VAR and the penalty decision is overturned.

https://streamff.com/v/e5e7aa

Kankurette

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 07, 2021, 03:17:25 PMGerard and Lampard in the running; please no.
I don't think it'll be Gerrard because Rangers are doing pretty well, aren't they? And I thought he'd be a shoe-in for Liverpool once Klopp leaves.
Quote from: Chollis on November 07, 2021, 03:30:43 PM
you seen who's managing Man United?
Ole is a very notable exception. If he was anywhere else, he'd have gone after Liverpool.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on November 07, 2021, 03:46:33 PM
I don't think it'll be Gerrard because Rangers are doing pretty well, aren't they? And I thought he'd be a shoe-in for Liverpool once Klopp leaves.

Yes but he wants to be in the Premier League prior to the moving to Liverpool; we would be his stepping stone for sure, so it's just bad all round for Villa longterm (and short term if he tanks us). 

Currently the bookies favourite.

Kankurette

Chollis

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 07, 2021, 03:50:52 PM
Yes but he wants to be in the Premier League prior to the moving to Liverpool; we would be his stepping stone for sure, so it's just bad all round for Villa longterm (and short term if he tanks us). 

Currently the bookies favourite.

How about a triumvirate of Gerrard, Lamps and Terry? The lads will know they're on a journey then.

Kankurette

Why not throw Rio 'Man United make me director of football now plz' Ferdinand in there as well for extra misery?

Spurs being Spursy. Everton being Evertony.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Chollis on November 07, 2021, 03:53:32 PM
How about a triumvirate of Gerrard, Lamps and Terry? The lads will know they're on a journey then.

Terrifying.  This has the potential to backfire massively for Villa now.  Most of the fans are unhappy with Smith being sacked but could probably go along with "that's modern football" however there is also a contingent of fans that hated Smith (every club has them; nothing is ever good enough these are the same people that think people like Pep will leave to come to Villa and talk of reality here is to be unambitious).

This sets things up for a bad appointment now to leave a real rift in the fans over Deano's treatment. 

bgmnts

Is Declan Rice the actual second coming of Christ or - like most English players - is he propped up by a foreign player that works their bollocks off?

Vitamin C

Pretty sure this West Ham team would fall apart without Rice. So, Christ it is then. Plus we would be looking at Hendo running out for England if Rice was injured, and no one wants that.

The Culture Bunker

I think Rice is a good player, but not worth anywhere close to what West Ham would demand, which I would guess is around £100m. But if he puts in a good shift today and West Ham get a result, I know a few Man United fans will demand the next manager breaks the bank for him.

imitationleather

Can't believe I woke up as early as 2pm to watch that Spurs game.

#ConteOut

imitationleather

bgmnts

Just a dangerous knee high challenge there nothing to worry about lol.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: bgmnts on November 07, 2021, 04:40:49 PM
Just a dangerous knee high challenge there nothing to worry about lol.

To be fair, he went for the ball on his foot bounced up off it into Hendo's knee. He didn't go in knee-high.

EDIT: Isn't a player with a blood injury supposed to leave the pitch for treatment instead of stay on it eating up time?

bgmnts

Cant see Liverpool getting around the infamous Moyesian parked bus any other way to be honest.

Think that was one of Hercules' twelve labours.

Kankurette

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on November 07, 2021, 04:04:12 PM
every club has them; nothing is ever good enough these are the same people that think people like Pep will leave to come to Villa and talk of reality here is to be unambitious)
Everton have loads of them. They're never going to be happy until Everton get a big name manager (they were wetting themselves over Ancelotti) and big name players and if you try to be realistic you're ~accepting mediocrity~ and it's your fault Everton suck.