Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,343
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 03:52:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

What's Great On Netflix Right Now?

Started by Dr Rock, November 07, 2021, 10:14:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dr Rock

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Dr Rock

Dex Sawash

I liked Love on the Spectrum but worry it is maybe a bit spectsploitation.

rue the polywhirl

David Chappelle. Bit of a goat apparently. Catch him fast because he'll probably disappear soon.

TrenterPercenter

Not seen much love for it on here but there is a new season of Big Mouth.  Currently doing Parks and Rec; takes a bit of time to get into but is decent enough; Chestnut man is alright for your scandi-drama thing.

Deliciousbass

I really loved Brand New Cherry Flavor. Has a Lynch / Cronenberg feel and doesn't take itself too seriously. I think it took me to the end of the second episode to get fully on board but was a hoot thereon out.

Mister Six

Midnight Mass. I meant to start a thread after being surprised that nobody else had. Top-tier supernatural drama/horror with a fantastic cast. It's a Stephen King story in all the best ways - well-rounded, human characters; slow burn but compelling with it; gruesome but not without heart - but not actually by Stephen King.

the science eel

mothman

If you can wait less than three weeks, then A CASTLE FOR CHRISTMAS!

Noodle Lizard

Probably only really a recommendation if you have kids, but Puffin Rock is lovely. It's an Irish cartoon about puffins and other creatures wandering around the titular island, narrated by Chris O'Dowd of all people. It's considerably more muted and relaxing (and far less annoying) than virtually everything else aimed at children, whilst still delivering the expected anthropomorphic life lessons. It's so peaceful, in fact, that I sometimes sit down with it even after the little one's gone to sleep. Just very, very nice.

Twit 2

non capisco

Spanish psychological thriller 'Fever Dream' is very good.

I think the Curzon cinemas in London have advance theatrical dibs on a lot of Netflix movie content like the (fairly entertaining) all-black cast Western 'The Harder They Fall'. I saw a film in the cinema this evening called '7 Prisoners' which will be coming to Netflix soon, it's a fairly relentlessly grim yet compelling film about slave labour in Brazil. Just as with 'Fever Dream' I was literally the only person in the cinema.

Shaky

Quote from: Mister Six on November 07, 2021, 06:13:19 PM
Midnight Mass. I meant to start a thread after being surprised that nobody else had. Top-tier supernatural drama/horror with a fantastic cast. It's a Stephen King story in all the best ways - well-rounded, human characters; slow burn but compelling with it; gruesome but not without heart - but not actually by Stephen King.

I second this in a big way. Top notch acting from most of the cast, particularly the Nick Cave-esque priest.

phantom_power

Quote from: Deliciousbass on November 07, 2021, 05:15:26 PM
I really loved Brand New Cherry Flavor. Has a Lynch / Cronenberg feel and doesn't take itself too seriously. I think it took me to the end of the second episode to get fully on board but was a hoot thereon out.

Yeah, this is great and loads of fun, with a terrific central performance from Rosa Salazar

holyzombiejesus

Someone in the Squid Game thread mentioned The School Nurse Files (and not The School Nurse Flies as I initially thought). Not watched it but sounds fun.

QuoteA school nurse with an unusual supernatural gift must protect high school students from monsters only she can see.

Cuellar

Quote from: Shaky on November 08, 2021, 03:09:02 AM
I second this in a big way. Top notch acting from most of the cast, particularly the Nick Cave-esque priest.

I third it

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Mister Six on November 07, 2021, 06:13:19 PM

I'm surprised at how much I'm enjoying this. On paper, it sounds like a massive pile of giant bobbins, but it's actually very compelling. I've got two episodes left and I'm really hoping they don't stray into 'Oh, now this is just ruddy stupid' territory.

Agree with the poster who commented on the Nick Cave-like appearance of the priest bloke.

Dr Rock

Quote from: Deliciousbass on November 07, 2021, 05:15:26 PM

I'M TRYING THIS OUT, THANKS.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 07, 2021, 10:18:29 AM
Squid Game.

I thought I'd so something I'd never done before and watch something solely on the basis that everyone's blithering on about it - so I watched Squid Game.

Actually, I really enjoyed it, and it dawned on me as I was watching it that it's actually the first Korean production I have ever watched in my entire 44 years on this planet we call, um, Earth. I must admit that the actor who played Seong Gi-hun kind of got on my wick in the first episode. I don't know why - over-acting, maybe? His every facial expression seemed heightened to the max, in a way that was quite exhausting to watch. I did briefly wonder if this was a feature of Korean drama, but have precisely zero basis on which to make such an assumption. Anyway, it was really good, didn't outstay its welcome and had some good twists and turns I genuinely didn't see coming.

Deliciousbass

Dr Rock

Dr Rock

Quote from: non capisco on November 08, 2021, 01:03:49 AM
like the (fairly entertaining) all-black cast Western 'The Harder They Fall'.

Saw this too, loads of fun. Don't miss, western fans.

MojoJojo

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 08, 2021, 12:17:41 PM
Someone in the Squid Game thread mentioned The School Nurse Files (and not The School Nurse Flies as I initially thought). Not watched it but sounds fun.

The first two episodes were good but I found it a bit ponderous after that. Some of the sub plots seemed a bit weirdly placed - like they'd start halfway through one episode then end halfway through the next. I dunno, I probably wasn't paying enough attention but I probably wouldn't have got to the end if it had been longer. In all sincerity I think the fact it's relatively short is one of the good things about it, it doesn't have the bloat that many programmes end up with to justify their budgets.

Dr Rock

More suggestions please - Russian Doll? Mr Robot? A good stand up special? A classic or modern film?

I didn't really like Army of The Dead, but did find less pretentious fun zombie films Zombieland and Zombieland Double Tap quite enjoyable.

I liked Russian Doll. I think Mr Robot is on Amazon Prime.

I'd heartily recommend Glow and Santa Clarita Diet, except they both got cancelled before they could wrap things up.

Also, if you don't have any hang ups about anime or video game adaptations, Castlevania is worth a watch. It's much better than The Witcher.

Magnum Valentino

Quote from: Dr Rock on November 11, 2021, 11:34:37 AM
More suggestions please - Russian Doll? Mr Robot? A good stand up special? A classic or modern film?

I didn't really like Army of The Dead, but did find less pretentious fun zombie films Zombieland and Zombieland Double Tap quite enjoyable.

I loved Russian Doll, wholly recommend it.

Good standup on there includes Adam Sandler 100% Fresh (with the obligatory mention that it is definitely worth a try if, like me, you don't like his films), Norm's special Hitler's Dog (search for it, I can't remember the actual title) and Bridget Christie's Standup For Her. I also really like Jerry Seinfeld's latest special, 24 Hours To Kill, but the general CaB consensus on him is that's he's not funny on purpose so you're not supposed to watch it. Also Richard Pryor's classic Live in Concert is well worth a watch.

Better Call Saul is probably the best telly on Netflix.

I don't use it so often for films but really enjoyed Denis Villeneuve's Prisoners and am now watching The Guilty, both of which feature the fantastic Jake Gyllenhall.

Also if comedy is your thing, Netflix boasts Naked Gun 2 (but not 3. Or 1).

phantom_power

Wet Hot American Summer and its sequel series' are good, as is the linked and similar Medical Police, though that is better if you have seen Children's Hospital before

Johnboy

I'm enjoying Good Girls

also working my way through Trailer Park Boys and Still Game