Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 23, 2024, 02:05:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Porcupine Tree

Started by Twit 2, November 07, 2021, 04:05:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twit 2

They're back (minus Colin) and have a new album out next year.

New track: https://youtu.be/AW5v4Ohxk5k

A making of In Absentia has popped up on YouTube.

https://youtu.be/eydLqNFlvE0

Very engrossing and well put together. Wilson comes across as a pompous prick, but oh well, great music. Rest of the band are lovely and there's a lot of focus on the awesome drumming that Harrison brought to the music.

Pete23

Thanks for the link to the In Absentia doc - really enjoyed it. Wilson's a funny character; he often comes across as a humourless self-important dickhead (e.g. smashing ipods, talking about the guitar being dead) but I've seen plenty of things where he doesn't take himself seriously and seems to have a pretty good sense of humour (and a lot of people in the industry seem to like and get on with him - it's hard to imagine Nick Beggs staying in any band that took itself too seriously).

I like the new track but I like Porcupine Tree and his solo work equally so the fact that it's PT doesn't make much difference to me.

Shit Good Nose

Woooo, wowsers!  It's a shame there's no Colin, and I'm very surprised Beggs isn't in the bass chair.  Presumably he's busy elsewhere.

I think Wilson's done a bit of a Robert Fripp and mellowed massively in recent years.  I remember all of his..."idiosyncrasies" back in the 90s that got on the wick of many journos, label bosses and promoters, and he did often come across like a spoilt public schoolboy prick, but yeah - all of the interviews he's done, probably since disbanding PT, he's been a very affable and down to earth chap.  Whether it's related, he's also softened on the term "progressive rock".  Time was when he couldn't do enough to get away from it, but he's really embraced it now, both for his own output and a genre in general.  Perhaps working on those remasters and remixes of King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, Steve Hackett and Gentle Giant albums (stunning work, by the way) killed his prejudices.

The Bumlord

He now has a wife and children so I think that's a lot to do with it.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Utterdrivel on November 12, 2021, 05:54:20 PM
He now has a wife and children so I think that's a lot to do with it.

Oh yeah, probably - I'm convinced Fripp's mellowing is 99% to do with living almost full-time with Toyah, having previously only seeing each other for about six weeks a year.