Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,377
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 02:56:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

the god father (gangster film)

Started by madhair60, November 07, 2021, 09:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SweetPomPom

Quote from: Elderly Sumo Prophecy on November 21, 2021, 08:56:53 PMIt always surprises me that Adrienne from Rocky is in it.

She's ok in 1 & 2 but dreadful in Part 3 - far worse than Sofia, the red cardie and Andy Garcia.
Good in Rocky tho!

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

Talia Shire/Adrian from Rocky is Coppola's sister, so her being in the Godfather films isn't that surprising.

And yeah, she's really good in the Rocky films. I don't remember her making much of an impression in the Godfathers though (I've only seen the third film once, years ago).

An tSaoi

She didn't seem to be involved in the family business in the first two, being the innocent daughter shielded from the worst of it, but by the third one she's Lady Macbeth. I don't get it at all. I know people can change over time, but her progression seems to have no basis.

Shit Good Nose

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 21, 2021, 08:02:36 PMI was lucky enough to meet Francis Ford Coppola briefly a few years ago, and I mentioned how impactful The Godfather had been on my naive ambitions to try and be a filmmaker. He responded saying "what's The Godfather?" before realizing I was talking about that really famous film he was really famous for. Knew I should've led with Jack instead.

He's been better described as a wine maker who does the odd film on the side as a hobby for the last twenty-odd years now.

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 22, 2021, 03:48:26 PMShe didn't seem to be involved in the family business in the first two, being the innocent daughter shielded from the worst of it, but by the third one she's Lady Macbeth. I don't get it at all. I know people can change over time, but her progression seems to have no basis.

IIRC, it's covered in the books, but left out by Coppola with all the other ropey soap opera stuff that Puzo wrote. 

(I've read the books once each, years ago.  They are not great.)

Noodle Lizard

I've just watched Part 2 (again, for the first time since I was a teenager probably). I used to go along with the consensus that 2 was better, but now I think I prefer 1 overall.

Michael's arc in 2 is nowhere near as interesting as it is in the first; it's basically just an extended version of the final act of Part 1. The Vito stuff is still great, but it also made me wish I was just watching that instead (time to bring out Once Upon A Time In America yet again) and I didn't find the transitions between the two eras as well-paced as I'd previously thought - it's downright frustrating sometimes to leave Vito for more shots of Michael looking moody about something.

It's still a great film, one of the best crime dramas out there, but I now find Part 1 to be more consistent and less flabby.

phantom_power

I think 2 is seen as better because it is more expansive and audacious but I agree that I think part 1 has less flab and says everything the second film does with more economy