Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:30:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Clinic - Fantasy Island

Started by Peacock Johnson, November 08, 2021, 03:13:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Love a bit of Clinic and their new one was released the other week and, it's great of course; very Clinic-y as is their wont.

They do seem to now be a two-piece only now which is a bit of a worry for [any] live shows though.

imitationleather

I really loved Wheeltappers and Shunters so I'll be checking this out right now.

good times

Weirdly have completely forgotten to listen to this even thought they've been one of my favourite bands for about 20 years.

The 'fine dining' single was pretty lame sounding, but I liked the other snippets I've heard. Will definitely have to give it a spin this week.

Quote from: Peacock Johnson on November 08, 2021, 03:13:51 PM
Love a bit of Clinic and their new one was released the other week and, it's great of course; very Clinic-y as is their wont.

They do seem to now be a two-piece only now which is a bit of a worry for [any] live shows though.

What's that based on? Would make sense as they recently cancelled their 2021 dates, which would make it the 3rd or 4th time I've had tickets for Clinic gig which was then cancelled.

imitationleather

I saw them support The Residents once. Weirdly, they were on after them on a different stage in the same venue.

But anyway it was a truly incredible gig. Would love to see them again.

The shrinking to a two-piece is mentioned here;

https://www.stilllisteningmagazine.com/reviews/clinic-fantasy-island-review

and in a few other reviews etc. Shame as never seen them live as the original group. Guess one if those "how do they make money anyway" kinda things...

Those face masks must make them stand out a lot less now.

Key

I think they've been a 2 piece for a while. Wheeltappers and Shunters was also only credited to Ade Blackburn & Hartley.
They released an album in 2016 under the name 'Higher Authorities.' which sounds a lot like the current stuff. It doesnt really matter on record as they are both multi-instrumentalists. No idea why the tour was cancelled, you'd assume they had rehearsed before booking it.

I am enjoying this new phase though and glad they never called it a day. Mostly gone are the creepy piano ballads and surf rock, instead its a more rhythm/dub based approach, Ade's moonlit croon is now an effects soaked rasp. Theres even a bit of acid house on this new one.

Neville Chamberlain

Quote from: imitationleather on November 08, 2021, 04:49:41 PM
I saw them support The Residents once. Weirdly, they were on after them on a different stage in the same venue.

But anyway it was a truly incredible gig. Would love to see them again.

The Barbican, 2013 - my last UK gig before I departed for Deutschland.