Pukka Pies for goalposts - a Football League/ National League thread

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Guess we can include at least the earlier rounds of the cups in here too. Draw tonight. Out of people represented on here, we'll have Altrincham, Port Vale, Sheffield Wednesday, I think there might be a Gillingham fan knocking about too. Anyone else?

Great thread.

Kankurette


holyzombiejesus

No. I said the team I support was playing Accrington Stanley, not that I supported them.

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM
Guess we can include at least the earlier rounds of the cups in here too. Draw tonight. Out of people represented on here, we'll have Altrincham, Port Vale, Sheffield Wednesday, I think there might be a Gillingham fan knocking about too. Anyone else?

Some Wrexham and Newport fans here will be concentrating on the League - or Page 2, whichever comes sooner.

finnquark

Got Dagenham vs Salford on in the background, see the draw afterwards. Hilarious how much money the Class of 92 and Lim have spunked on Salford for them to be so shit. 24 away fans as well. Definition of tinpot.

imitationleather

Quote from: finnquark on November 08, 2021, 08:38:08 PM
Got Dagenham vs Salford on in the background, see the draw afterwards. Hilarious how much money the Class of 92 and Lim have spunked on Salford for them to be so shit. 24 away fans as well. Definition of tinpot.

I went to see Gateshead v Salford City a couple o' years back and their away support must have been less than two dozen then too. It was lovely to see.

I'd definitely follow Gateshead up here but their pitch has a running track around it. Such a vibe killer and so I cannot be arsed with that.

Kankurette

Grantham's has one as well. It's weird seeing lineys and ball boys running around on a track. Incidentally, something the Northern PL has that the EPL doesn't: fat refs. You know you're at a non-league stadium when you see a fat ref.

Salford are winning atm.

finnquark

Awful tie, but at least Nev and his mates were on TV. Anyway, I bet Alty draw Stockport away. Our last 10 cup draws have all been away!

holyzombiejesus

These adverts are so bad, that Micah Richards one is so awful.

I bet we get Portsmouth away. Would like Altrincham, Halifax or Stockport away.


Kankurette

"Awww, look at the small teams! They think they're people!"

Alty, should you get through, have Charlton! If we beat Plymouth, we're getting Notts County or Rochdale.

TrenterPercenter

Bournemouth were my second team for many years having lived there and worked at the ground.  They are too big now though.  Third team is AFC Wimbledon are they any good now? Have they got any peadz playing for them? would they be a good choice?

Kankurette

The only team I can think of atm with a paed in the squad is Everton, I think Wimbledon should be safe.

My stepbrother was at uni in Bournemouth when they got promoted and it was mad, they went from yer average Championship team to suddenly selling out of tickets like hot cakes.

holyzombiejesus

Looks like both Sheff Wed and Alty might get shown on the TV if they win their first round ties. Bit of a shit draw for Vale, we've never won at Burton although it's quite local and I think we're clearly able to beat League One opposition. Also, our previous chairman said he wouldn't employ their manager as our fans were too racist.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on November 08, 2021, 10:19:00 PM
The only team I can think of atm with a paed in the squad is Everton, I think Wimbledon should be safe.

My stepbrother was at uni in Bournemouth when they got promoted and it was mad, they went from yer average Championship team to suddenly selling out of tickets like hot cakes.

When I worked there Eddie Howe was still on the pitch and they were missing a stand at one end behind the goal (which meant they had to keep a constant supply of balls on the go).

Kankurette

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 08, 2021, 10:22:33 PM
Looks like both Sheff Wed and Alty might get shown on the TV if they win their first round ties. Bit of a shit draw for Vale, we've never won at Burton although it's quite local and I think we're clearly able to beat League One opposition. Also, our previous chairman said he wouldn't employ their manager as our fans were too racist.
Are they? I've not had much experience of Port Vale fans, except my history teacher in high school who was from Stoke. Are we talking Millwall here?

Wednesday fans lean rightwards, or at least the online lot do, though I've encountered some left-wing Owls in the wild.

Quote from: Kankurette on November 08, 2021, 10:09:21 PM
Alty, should you get through, have Charlton!

Checking in as a Charlton fan who's excited about this potential clash with the big CaB favourites. Not really sure where it is or anything but yeah, safe. Is it home to clowne?

Kankurette


Hat FM

Bromley fan here. unfortunately got drawn against a league one side in the cup so knocked out on saturday. can concentrate on the league so i can get out of this god damn thread!

Stockport fan here, had a decent trip to Bolton at the weekend, took over 5,000 fans. After decades of terrible ownership/management, we actually are throwing a bit of money around in an attempt to get back in the league. Have just poached former captain Dave Challinor from Hartlepool from league 2 to the annoyance of Jeff Stelling.

Quote from: Hat FM on November 09, 2021, 08:56:03 AM
Bromley fan here. unfortunately got drawn against a league one side in the cup so knocked out on saturday. can concentrate on the league so i can get out of this god damn thread!

Are you making the trip to edgeley this Saturday?

Just bought my ticket for Solihull Moors replay

This will make it 7 FA Cup games this season, and a potential 8th in either Walsall vs Swindon or Kidderminster vs Halifax.

Went to see my actual team at the weekend as well - solid 2-1 away win with an 18 year striker scoring his first goals for the club. Lovely.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on November 09, 2021, 09:01:29 AM
Stockport fan here, had a decent trip to Bolton at the weekend, took over 5,000 fans. After decades of terrible ownership/management, we actually are throwing a bit of money around in an attempt to get back in the league. Have just poached former captain Dave Challinor from Hartlepool from league 2 to the annoyance of Jeff Stelling.


Oh no! I really dislike Stockport (no offence). From their initials, to the offside goal they scored against us in 1994, to Kevin Francis always scoring against us, to the shittest ground in the league when we used to play you, to producing the biggest weirdo of a manager to ever grace Vale Park (Gannon) to now throwing money around and acting like big time charlies. Seems a bit off how you got Challinor in, I know the Hartlepool board and fans were very unimpressed.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 09, 2021, 11:32:21 AM
Oh no! I really dislike Stockport (no offence). From their initials, to the offside goal they scored against us in 1994, to Kevin Francis always scoring against us, to the shittest ground in the league when we used to play you, to producing the biggest weirdo of a manager to ever grace Vale Park (Gannon) to now throwing money around and acting like big time charlies. Seems a bit off how you got Challinor in, I know the Hartlepool board and fans were very unimpressed.

I remember some good games against vale in the 90's when we were both in the old division 1 (championship) including a Brett Angell hat trick of header in front of the sky cameras.

It's a bit weird having money to spend, basically not had a pot to piss in for our entire history, seen us have various stints in administration and as a result, relegated from the 2nd tier to the 6th tier. So I don't feel too guilty about a local guy with a bit of dough backing us.

By all accounts doing a great job, aside from the unnecessary sacking of Gannon. (Club legend for us (1000 games, 4 promotions as player and manager, fighter of Geoff Horsfield when Vale manager). Appointed Brighton's u23 coach, Simon Rusk in his place, woefully out of his depth, now former club captain Challinor in charge seems like a lot better fit.

KennyMonster

Good to see someone has started a Thread for proper spit n sawdust football.

See you guys in a few months!

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on November 09, 2021, 12:50:50 PM
I remember some good games against vale in the 90's when we were both in the old division 1 (championship) including a Brett Angell hat trick of header in front of the sky cameras.

It's a bit weird having money to spend, basically not had a pot to piss in for our entire history, seen us have various stints in administration and as a result, relegated from the 2nd tier to the 6th tier. So I don't feel too guilty about a local guy with a bit of dough backing us.

By all accounts doing a great job, aside from the unnecessary sacking of Gannon. (Club legend for us (1000 games, 4 promotions as player and manager, fighter of Geoff Horsfield when Vale manager). Appointed Brighton's u23 coach, Simon Rusk in his place, woefully out of his depth, now former club captain Challinor in charge seems like a lot better fit.

I remember that. I also remember Vale having such a woeful shot that it smashed a window of some building outside the ground. I also remember John Peel coming to watch the Autoglass Trophy final between us at Wembley as the people who wrote our old fanzine, 'The Memoirs of Seth Bottomley' offered him a ticket. Last time I saw us play each other was back in 2010 and we won 5-0 at your place.

There seem to be quite a few loaded clubs in the National League and it must be really galling for those who try to legitimately abide by the FPP rules.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 09, 2021, 01:00:53 PM.

There seem to be quite a few loaded clubs in the National League and it must be really galling for those who try to legitimately abide by the FPP rules.

I did have that view also, right up until the point we got rich! National league is extremely competitive this year to be fair. Loads of former football league clubs in there.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 09, 2021, 11:32:21 AM
Oh no! I really dislike Stockport (no offence). From their initials, to the offside goal they scored against us in 1994, to Kevin Francis always scoring against us, to the shittest ground in the league when we used to play you, to producing the . biggest weirdo of a manager to ever grace Vale Park (Gannon)  to now throwing money around and acting like big time charlies. Seems a bit off how you got Challinor in, I know the Hartlepool board and fans were very unimpressed.

What made Gannon quite such a spectacular failure at vale park then? Probably our greatest ever manager and did a reasonable job with Peterborough and Motherwell.

King Cold

Carlisle United fan here...lurking in the dark corners of the Warwick Road End.

And yes I am fully aware that we are an utterly appalling football team this season thank you very much.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on November 09, 2021, 01:26:15 PM
I did have that view also, right up until the point we got rich! National league is extremely competitive this year to be fair. Loads of former football league clubs in there.

What made Gannon quite such a spectacular failure at vale park then? Probably our greatest ever manager and did a reasonable job with Peterborough and Motherwell.

Partly because he was an utter arse who spent much of his tenure alienating the players, partly because there was quite a dodgy culture at the club, exemplified by Gary Roberts turning up to training pissed all the time and also because he seemed to go through about 8 formations a game and did weird things like play right backs up front. Signed some awful players too. Presume you've heard about 'busgate'?

QuotePort Vale chairman Bill Bratt was trying to diffuse a row between Valiants' manager Jim Gannon and assistant Geoff Horsfield after the pair were embroiled in a furious bust-up that led to the pair leaving the team bus.

Gannon met his legal representative at a service station on the M6 and Horsfield was ordered off further along the route to Aldershot as the team made its' way to Hampshire for this afternoon's League Two fixture.

Valiants' manager Gannon, who has turned out to be a disastrous appointment since inheriting a side from Micky Adams that was lying second in the table, is now fighting for his job after being embarrassed in front of his own players.

Trouble had flared after Horsfield, who remained in situ after Adams's departure to Sheffield United, asked formally for a day off on Thursday to attend to a family matter.

He was granted leave by Gannon to do so. However, Horsfield was staggered to learn on Friday, minutes before the coach left Vale Park, that a letter had been written by the club's manager, complaining about his conduct.

He was called to see a director and the letter was produced. When Horsfield boarded the coach he confronted Gannon who initially denied the existence of the correspondence.

When the former Birmingham and West Brom forward argued that he had seen it with his own eyes, Gannon was forced into an embarrassed climbdown that led to him disembarking, but not before he had sworn at his number two.

Horsfield remained with the team but then received a phone call ordering him to return to the Potteries. The coach continued to Aldershot without a member of the management team on board.

Vale 'keeper Stuart Tomlinson said on Twitter: "Awesome events on the team bus."

Another source said: "Gannon is universally unpopular and has ostracised Horsfield and youth team coach Mark Grew since the day he arrived. If it came down to a straight choice between the manager and the assistant, Geoff would win hands down."

Bratt would only say: "It is an internal matter that will be dealt with on Monday."

QuotePort Vale have had a turbulent few years but Geoff Horsfield's bust up on the team coach with Jim Gannon is one of the most infamous episodes.

Manager Gannon and his assistant Horsfield set off from Vale Park for an away game at Aldershot in February 2011, but after a row en route, neither was on the bus by the time it pulled up for the game.

Now Horsfield has given his side of the story and what he describes as an 'absolutely shocking' relationship with Gannon.

Horsfield had been assistant manager at Vale to Micky Adams but, when Adams left for Sheffield United in December 2010, he remained at Vale Park to work under Adams' replacement Gannon.

Speaking to the Under The Cosh podcast, Horsfield says he and Gannon didn't get on and matters came to a head on that bus journey to Hampshire.

He says that began when he asked Gannon for the Thursday off and the manager agreed. However, Horsfield says he then came in on Friday and was called into chairman Bill Bratt's office to be given a note accusing him of going AWOL from training

Horsfield says he was furious with Gannon and rang Micky Adams for advice.

He said: "Micky said, 'You're joking. Don't hit him! If you hit him you are out of football for good.'

However, Horsfield said he was still fuming when they got on the bus for Aldershot that day and confronted Gannon during the journey.

He said: "I went straight over and grabbed him and pulled him down.

"The worst thing about it, I went into a rant and when you get angry sometimes you don't know what you are saying.

"I had a house with a pool at the time and I did mention a swimming pool and say 'you'll never get one!' or something like that. That was bang out of order because I'm not like that, I'm not big headed.

"Then I mentioned Match of the Day and said have you ever been on Match of the Day?"

He added: "I said 'listen, you'd better get off the bus. If you don't get off the bus I will kill you, and I mean it, you are getting it off me."

He added: "He was walking down the hard shoulder and all the lads were banging on the bus going 'cheerio, cheerio.." 


Superb stuff. Yeah Gannon seems to be an incredibly belligerent arsehole, but whatever he did worked for us.

Presume you've heard the story about his infamous dispute with sky

QuoteGANNON IN SKY BLACKOUT

Stockport manager Jim Gannon is refusing to co-operate with Sky Sports ahead of his side's League Two play-off final against Rochdale - because of a dispute over his defective Sky+ box.

Gannon is believed to have had problems with his personal video recorder for nine months, and is protesting against Sky's inability to correct the problem.