News:

Please let me know of any new bugs or issues in GB, thanks for your patience


Pukka Pies for goalposts - a Football League/ National League thread

Started by holyzombiejesus, November 08, 2021, 04:10:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Bobloblawslawbomb on November 09, 2021, 02:21:02 PM
Superb stuff. Yeah Gannon seems to be an incredibly belligerent arsehole, but whatever he did worked for us.

Presume you've heard the story about his infamous dispute with sky

That's brilliant!

The Lurker

Quote from: imitationleather on November 08, 2021, 09:09:39 PM
I went to see Gateshead v Salford City a couple o' years back and their away support must have been less than two dozen then too. It was lovely to see.

I'd definitely follow Gateshead up here but their pitch has a running track around it. Such a vibe killer and so I cannot be arsed with that.

Hartlepool fan here so have done Gateshead away back when were in the National League*. Both were on Boxing Day so freezing cold with a terrible view - classic Vanarama

*God it feels good to talk about being in the National League in the past tense

The Lurker

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 09, 2021, 11:32:21 AM
Oh no! I really dislike Stockport (no offence). From their initials, to the offside goal they scored against us in 1994, to Kevin Francis always scoring against us, to the shittest ground in the league when we used to play you, to producing the biggest weirdo of a manager to ever grace Vale Park (Gannon) to now throwing money around and acting like big time charlies. Seems a bit off how you got Challinor in, I know the Hartlepool board and fans were very unimpressed.

Challinor's a funny one. The money is obviously a factor but if it was the main reason, he could have left to join Wrexham in the summer which he was offered. He signed a new three year contract with the club (still believed to be low pay for an EFL manager) just a few weeks ago so presumably something has gone in the background (heavily implied) for him to have fucked off so soon. Our chairman certainly falls with a lot of people - whether it be here, in business or when he was with our old friends Darlington.

He took over during our lowest moments and took us back to the EFL. Had he stayed and - let's say - kept us in the top half of League Two, he would have easily got himself a job higher up in the leagues. It does leave a slight bitter taste after the new contract and the way he threw our POTY Rhys Oates under the bus in the media going on about he'd left for more money and not done it in the right way. The fans giving his wife stick on Twitter are out of order though.

Either way, he's gone now. History. Manager's come and go and our caretaker manager Sweeney is certainly an excellent coach, student of the game and loyal to the club.

Nothing against Stockport but with all the money that's being spent in the National League this season, it would be hilarious if some perennial non-league team shithoused promotion. Or Torquay after we shafted them in the play-off final. My dark horses Solihull aren't doing too badly.

Quote from: The Lurker on November 09, 2021, 04:14:29 PM
Challinor's a funny one. The money is obviously a factor but if it was the main reason, he could have left to join Wrexham in the summer which he was offered. He signed a new three year contract with the club (still believed to be low pay for an EFL manager) just a few weeks ago so presumably something has gone in the background (heavily implied) for him to have fucked off so soon. Our chairman certainly falls with a lot of people - whether it be here, in business or when he was with our old friends Darlington.

He took over during our lowest moments and took us back to the EFL. Had he stayed and - let's say - kept us in the top half of League Two, he would have easily got himself a job higher up in the leagues. It does leave a slight bitter taste after the new contract and the way he threw our POTY Rhys Oates under the bus in the media going on about he'd left for more money and not done it in the right way. The fans giving his wife stick on Twitter are out of order though.

Either way, he's gone now. History. Manager's come and go and our caretaker manager Sweeney is certainly an excellent coach, student of the game and loyal to the club.

Nothing against Stockport but with all the money that's being spent in the National League this season, it would be hilarious if some perennial non-league team shithoused promotion. Or Torquay after we shafted them in the play-off final. My dark horses Solihull aren't doing too badly.

He's still based in the north west too, was apparently a factor. Was very surprised that we were able to get him. My tip in the national league are Dagenham and Redbridge, by far the best team I've seen us play over the last 12 months. Turned us over on the opening day.

The Lurker

Yeah, that's right. I believe he lives in Chester, his son plays for their academy. So Wrexham could have been a good fit, it looked a dead cert he was going there - they even delayed their decision while we were in the play-offs.

kalowski

By all rights I should be a Stockport fan, growing up in Edgeley as I did.
But I'm not.

Had no idea this place was so full of supporters of non-league clubs in Greater Manchester.

I'm a Hyde supporter, albeit one who - after 16 seasons of watching them home and away - stopped going six years ago because being outspoken about casual homophobia, racism and sexism led to threatening phonecalls and messages.

Even though there are some decent people involved, they're outnumbered by the arseholes. Maybe I'm overreacting but I don't feel like I'd be welcome back, and at a club that small it's not very easy to blend into the background.

So I'm not really a fan any more. But supporting a different team isn't something I think I could do.

finnquark

That's a shame, was the general atmosphere at Hyde like that or was it a minority of knobheads?

I'm backing Chesterfield for the league, they'll keep buying players for their unbearably arrogant manager until they go up. Thought Dagenham started well but they can't defend and they rely on MacCallum too much. Bromley are my outside bet.

Kankurette

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 09, 2021, 11:16:03 PM
Had no idea this place was so full of supporters of non-league clubs in Greater Manchester.

I'm a Hyde supporter, albeit one who - after 16 seasons of watching them home and away - stopped going six years ago because being outspoken about casual homophobia, racism and sexism led to threatening phonecalls and messages.

Even though there are some decent people involved, they're outnumbered by the arseholes. Maybe I'm overreacting but I don't feel like I'd be welcome back, and at a club that small it's not very easy to blend into the background.

So I'm not really a fan any more. But supporting a different team isn't something I think I could do.
Fucking hell, that's grim.

Quote from: finnquark on November 09, 2021, 11:51:08 PM
I'm backing Chesterfield for the league, they'll keep buying players for their unbearably arrogant manager until they go up.

Haha, he IS arrogant but he's also really good. Can't see many more signings, the squad is good and will improve when the ten (!) injured players return.

monkfromhavana

Had to Google him...James Rowe. Who is he and why is he so arrogant?

Reminds me of Graham Westley, apparently when he used to introduce himself to the squad after taking over a team he used to say "My kids call me medal-winner".

Quote from: finnquark on November 09, 2021, 11:51:08 PM
That's a shame, was the general atmosphere at Hyde like that or was it a minority of knobheads?

tbf it's probably a minority of knobheads, but some of them were on the board of directors.

A particular low point was when the then director of football tweeted this from the official club account:



A pal complained directly to him and was told to "get fucked".

It's Hyde. I don't expect it to be a socialist utopia. But I don't expect that sort of stuff to go unchallenged because of who people are.

Oh well. If I'd kept my nose out I'd probably still be going. But when your attendances are so low it's not easy to turn up somewhere where you could easily be stood within a few yards of someone who warned you not to come back.

Inspector Norse

Have you had any contact with any kind of authority about that stuff? I don't know if, say, Kick It Out get involved at non-league level.

holyzombiejesus

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 10, 2021, 01:24:43 AM
Haha, he IS arrogant but he's also really good. Can't see many more signings, the squad is good and will improve when the ten (!) injured players return.

One of the injured players wouldn't be Oyeleke, would it?

Kankurette

Carlton Palmer's resigned from Grantham Town, who are bottom of the Northern PL. Chairman's quit, so Palmer went with him. Some idiot Wednesday fans are hoping he comes to manage us. As much as I like ol' Carlton, I do not want him managing Wednesday. I get he loves the club and everything but that doesn't make him manager material. Moore's not even had a proper season yet and he has far more cred.

That Hyde tweet is grim as fuck.

ETA: on the subject of non-league and bigotry, this guy is the Grantham chairman who's just resigned. He's the same charmer who made a disgusting comment about refugees and inspired FC United to give a shit ton of donations to refugee charities. Antivaxx, anti-lockdown and anti-everything really.

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 10, 2021, 09:46:53 AM
One of the injured players wouldn't be Oyeleke, would it?

Nope, he's barely missed a game since he joined. Good player, too good for the national league.

As for the arrogance of James Rowe.. it's a bit overstated by opposition fans. He's a sore loser and incredibly ruthless with players and staff.. if he can see a better option you're gone even if you have only been there ten minutes. He also likes a bit of bullshit jargon , he's always on about 'final third insertions' and players reaching 'performance objectives' like its an office job. He's a tosser, but he's on our side and he's good at his job so I'll take it.

finnquark

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on November 10, 2021, 01:17:26 PM
Nope, he's barely missed a game since he joined. Good player, too good for the national league.

As for the arrogance of James Rowe.. it's a bit overstated by opposition fans. He's a sore loser and incredibly ruthless with players and staff.. if he can see a better option you're gone even if you have only been there ten minutes. He also likes a bit of bullshit jargon , he's always on about 'final third insertions' and players reaching 'performance objectives' like its an office job. He's a tosser, but he's on our side and he's good at his job so I'll take it.

I did the radio commentary for the Alty game at Chesterfield last year, and in an empty stadium, being able to hear everything, he came across as a complete bellend. Actually my main impression of that game was how basic his tactical approach was - very, very direct which I found a bit bizarre given the budget. Has he changed that this season? Chesterfield struck me as a side that our fans might say they don't want to watch every week, but I suppose he's under massive pressure to get up this year (like Stockport, Notts, Wrexham, etc.). When it's shit or bust, I suppose tactics are secondary to getting "the Big W".

I wouldn't say they are particularly direct, they mix it up and play some decent stuff. There have been plenty of goals this year.

We have improved but last year he came in and dragged us from the relegation zone to the playoffs so he must have some tactical knowledge.

Yussef Dent

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 10, 2021, 08:02:00 AM

Reminds me of Graham Westley, apparently when he used to introduce himself to the squad after taking over a team he used to say "My kids call me medal-winner".

Westley is such a bizarre figure, he's mentioned a lot by guests on Undr The Cosh (I think that's mainly because Jon Parkin hated him and likes other players who played under him to have a pop), he just seems like a complete nightmare to play under. Ridiculously intense training sessions that last all day, hour long breakdowns of games straight after the final whistle, very direct football and nothing ever seems to be his fault. I think he also inherited a multi-million pound business off his father? Kevin Blackwell is another one (the Clarke Carlisle episode is an interesting one as he'd played under Westley and Blackwell), it's like nobody in the game seems to have a good word about him. I know people who've worked in the press who've had to deal with him and their experiences of the bloke were overwhelmingly negative.

Grantham are such a weird club and one I hope the non-league club I support, Belper, never have to come across again. They seem to have a "no-one likes us we don't care" approach, deliberately antagonistic and revelling in the dislike from supporters of other teams. Their fans threw a bin on our pitch during a match once to much merriment. Generally, non-league clubs like to be seen as welcoming places, we're all in this together to promote the game at grass roots level and get people down. Some are more hospitable than others but they do try, however Grantham are an anomaly.


The Lurker

Meanwhile at Hartlepool, we've put up some big pictures on the front of the ground in which we've managed to spell the surname of one of our former players wrong. It's alright though, it's only the club record appearance holder, player of the century and three time player of the year Ritchie Humphreys. Or should I say Ritchie "Humphereys"?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FD1oqTfXIAcqOYM?format=jpg&name=large

Kankurette

Poor Ritchie. I mean, Ritchiyee.
Quote from: Yussef Dent on November 11, 2021, 12:10:56 AMGrantham are such a weird club and one I hope the non-league club I support, Belper, never have to come across again. They seem to have a "no-one likes us we don't care" approach, deliberately antagonistic and revelling in the dislike from supporters of other teams. Their fans threw a bin on our pitch during a match once to much merriment. Generally, non-league clubs like to be seen as welcoming places, we're all in this together to promote the game at grass roots level and get people down. Some are more hospitable than others but they do try, however Grantham are an anomaly.
I don't know much about Grantham's fans but given what an absolute bollock of a man Darren Ashton is, it really wouldn't surprise me if they had that attitude. I guess it filters down. The fans did behave themselves at FC United but there weren't many of them, which probably helped. I don't know if Ashton's vile comment about refugees was the reason why he lost his job but he has form for being a cunt on social media - apparently he got into an argument with Wednesday fans on Twitter and was offering them out (I'd look for it but I don't fancy wading through his timeline, it grossed me out). Tango Man could crush him like a grape. And the club seems to have been badly run in general. I mean, naming a 55-year-old as a sub. WTF. I know Palmer is in good shape for his age, but still.

You mentioning Belper has reminded me of Kevin Pressman, and I'm assuming he's going to be leaving Grantham now Palmer's gone, since IIRC Palmer was why he joined. Which sucks for Jim Pollard (their goalie) because he seems to have built up a decent relationship with Pressman. I hope he finds a home somewhere, he's one of those people who is much happier being involved in the game than just sitting around playing golf and doing the odd after dinner engagement.

finnquark


imitationleather


The Lurker

It is very local but I can't imagine too many people being interested in Boreham Wood v St Albans. Enjoyed the St Albans game v Forest Green though and there's every chance I'll watch anyway cos I'm a sad act

(I'd also rather watch that than the Salford wankfest)

Kankurette


Quote from: Inspector Norse on November 10, 2021, 09:01:42 AM
Have you had any contact with any kind of authority about that stuff? I don't know if, say, Kick It Out get involved at non-league level.

Yeah, they definitely do. They were very good when I contacted them about some racism at an away ground. Though the issues mentioned are from years ago now and, entirely selfishly, I don't have the energy to pursue them given the threatening reaction I got when I questioned the behaviour at the time.

Great to see that this thread is destroying the stereotype that all non-league clubs are always friendly places that'll welcome you with open arms. I've witnessed so much behaviour in NL that you just wouldn't get away with in the Premier League.

Kankurette

Yeah, I get the impression FC United - whose ground did have a very friendly atmosphere, I'd love to go again - are a rare beast. There's less regulation going on in the lower-tier leagues, and you end up with cunts like Darren Ashton in power and idiots yeeting bins on pitches.

Quote from: Kankurette on November 11, 2021, 08:53:59 PM
Yeah, I get the impression FC United - whose ground did have a very friendly atmosphere, I'd love to go again - are a rare beast. There's less regulation going on in the lower-tier leagues, and you end up with cunts like Darren Ashton in power and idiots yeeting bins on pitches.

West Didsbury & Chorlton seem pretty welcoming and inclusive too. They're maybe bit more Dulwich Hamlet than Clapton, but I might head to a game at some point.

Everything I've typed about about Hyde - who were once a massive part of my life - has made me realise that I'm probably never going to go back. I've never been comfortable with the idea of finding a new club to support having spent most of my life following Hyde, but I think it's just sunk in that they've abandoned me rather than the other way round.

kalowski

Where do West Didsbury & Chorlton play?
Edit: Like a grown-up, I just looked it up.