Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:43:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

we doing poppy bits this year or what

Started by madhair60, November 10, 2021, 11:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Z

gilbertharding

Quote from: Cuellar on November 10, 2021, 01:32:05 PM
As Alan Bennett said, there's no better way of forgetting something than commemorating it.

Ian Hislop made the same point in a documentary he did about war memorials he did about 10 years ago.

And, to be fair, forgetting the first world war must have been a tremendously attractive thing to do for most people in the 20s.

seepage

My dad forgot his instructor Thompson SMG on the Fenchurch St line lol

Shit Good Nose

I bloody hope so - CaB isn't the same without at least a couple of Boxing Day Shit threads.

..........oooohhhhhhhh, poPpy bits............

buttgammon

Quote from: Shit Good Nose on November 10, 2021, 03:30:27 PM
I bloody hope so - CaB isn't the same without at least a couple of Boxing Day Shit threads.

..........oooohhhhhhhh, poPpy bits............

What's Your November 12th Shit Like (Vol XXI)

Mr Banlon

touchingcloth

AHAHAHAHA DEAD AND CRIPPLED WAR FUCKING CUNTS AHAHAHAHAHA

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

When my grandfather was a young fella in the 1920s there were a few WW1 vets hanging around town. Missing limbs, drunk all day to block out the horror. The boys would tease them and they'd throw their crutches at them, and then of course they couldn't get up to retrieve the crutches. They'd joined up because they had nothing, said the Granda, and afterwards the British Government didn't care about them and neither did the Irish Government.

bomb_dog

I know you bunch of saps love a good poem from local papers. I don't think there's been a deconstruction of this bad boy's stanzas...

'The silence would be shattered
These men really got battered'

Mr Farenheit

Quote from: bomb_dog on November 11, 2021, 12:44:49 AM
I know you bunch of saps love a good poem from local papers. I don't think there's been a deconstruction of this bad boy's stanzas...

As the poppies come down?

Love the shell shock being 'to a certain degree'

Hopefully only a matter of time before the doom-laden, dreary war poems of Wilfred Owen, Siegfried Sassoon and the rest of those pussies are replaced with more stirring fare like the above.

Ray Travez

...and no-one thought it mattered
That they had been so twatted

Ray Travez

Quote from: Mr Farenheit on November 11, 2021, 01:24:27 AM
Love the shell shock being 'to a certain degree'

I liked that as well. He's a bit coy about the exact degree isn't he, also omitting to mention that they were often shot as 'cowards'.

Ray Travez

Brave, brave boys
Fighting amongst the noise
Makes you feel so proud
As the guns banged out loud

Bravely into battle
The rifle's rapid rattle
So much to be proud of
As mother lifts the shroud off

Proud, proud, proud
With poppies all around
I would not want to miss this
Remembering the armistice

For all our lives to save
Some fighters got in grave
We will remember them
As the clock chimes (Big Ben)

Shoulders?-Stomach!

jobotic

Those brave brave boys did us so proud
like Sarah Harding, Girls Aloud

shiftwork2

The horror of the trenches and the obscenity of the Somme is really nailed here

With guns blazing
The men were amazing

buttgammon

To be fair to the poet, the soldiers really were battered.

The leftist cucks see the poppy seller, turn heel and walk on,
The idea of grandad burning in a tank gives me a stalk-on

buttgammon

Having recently spent a fair bit of a time teaching students about the formal aspects of poetry, I'm fascinated with the idea that the only thing needed to write a poem is a rhyme at the end of every line.

JaDanketies

The First World War was fuckin orrible. It's a shame Remembrance Day is so fucked up. Like imagine nowadays if they had one million soldiers and the best you could think to do with them was grind them up in the trenches. Really WW1 Remembrance should be anti-authority. I'm gonna listen to WW1 - themed black metal

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

ah now be fair folks this was obviously written by a young child, I mean, an adult couldn't possibly

buttgammon

My great-grandfather was in the Royal Welsh Fusiliers during WWI and got court martialled, apparently for drinking water from a stagnant pool. He ended up getting one of his thumbs shot off, I think at Mametz Wood. He wasn't a hero, just a young fisherman who barely spoke English and probably didn't want to be there.

Johnny Yesno

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: idunnosomename on November 10, 2021, 02:08:19 PM
RBL actually replied to this issue, and surprisingly supportive of the wonderful Giant Poppy Watch account

https://twitter.com/PoppyLegion/status/1458397609907965963

Feel a bit fair fucks here really.

Nah, their 'we like funny pictures, we do' response is a weak effort to divert attention from the fact that their explanation of the Pull the Pin 'metaphor' is complete bullshit.

katzenjammer

'Remebered' lol

sevendaughters

Quote from: richjj1978 on November 10, 2021, 01:27:47 PM
The very youngest person who could served is now 82. If you

if you ran down the conscription office at 16 at the very last moment of WW2 you would have been born in 1929 and therefore 92.

In a decade there'll be none of 'em left. Then we'll need to get a shift on remembering. Poppies inserted into every school crest. Every new law has 'lest we forget' written in there somewhere. Bubble tea shops doing a minute's silence. I don't think we're going far enough frankly.