Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 12:03:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

we doing poppy bits this year or what

Started by madhair60, November 10, 2021, 11:41:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cloud

Quote from: Johnny Yesno on November 11, 2021, 08:50:40 AM
CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE

https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,90152.0.html

In fairness the title is not exactly obvious

2 minutes silence here at 11 which shouldn't be difficult being sat in silence most of the day.  Then I think there's a round of applause for the NHS for still just about hanging in there (much like my soon-to-be-removed tooth)

buttgammon

I'm listening to Cenotaph by This Heat, a song which nails it. "Poppy Day, remember poppies are red".

I once asked my grandfather why he didn't wear a poppy when everyone had learned at school that day how important it was to wear one (this was the late '80s - so proto-poppy-fascism).  He told me that he didn't wear one because of my great-grandfather; that he'd went to war as a young man, and lost an eye (and a good chunk of his face) at Passchendaele, and how he returned home after 'recovering' in hospital to find that he would need to return to the working in the pit promptly.  His father also told him of the venomous hatred that war induced in both his friends at the front and himself - not of the Germans, but of the bastards who'd sent them there, and had happily wasted millions of them for precious little.  Special hatred was reserved for Douglas Haig.  And to 7-year-old me's delight (because there is no greater pleasure for a child than hearing an adult swear), he would 'never buy fucking anything with that cunt Haig's name on it'.

N.B. I'm sure everyone here is aware, but for those who aren't - the poppy appeal was part of the Haig Fund, set up by the man who'd sent them off to be butchered in the first place.  Poppies used to have 'Haig Fund' written on them.  Because charity is ultimately for many a self-serving thing.

P.S. It is still lost on me how we can remember people we've never met.  Remembrance services no doubt had a poignancy to those scarred by the loss of loved ones in a mechanised war.  There's pretty much no-one alive who could have memories of those who fell in the Great War.  Once the last WWII veteran shuffles off, they really need to call time on the whole thing.

kalowski

Fambo Number Mive

Quote from: bomb_dog on November 11, 2021, 12:44:49 AM
I know you bunch of saps love a good poem from local papers. I don't think there's been a deconstruction of this bad boy's stanzas...

'The silence would be shattered
These men really got battered'

Somme does not rhyme with none.

"We're really proud of them the way they tried".
"They went as boys and came back men"

Really trivializes the horror of being stuck in a muddy trench being shot at. Interesting they don't mention WWII either.

Ironic how people who creates these front garden tributes to WWI and WWII and write to the local paper about it end up being the ones most disrespectful of it. Imagine showing that poem to someone who had come home from the war. They'd rip it up and make you eat it.

I think it is important to remember the World Wars, in a tasteful way, not with these ego-satisfying poems in local papers and garden displays.

JaDanketies

I'm kind of opposed to the whole concept of the British Legion, even if my mum worked for them. Looking after the people who were maimed and mutilated due to the whims of the British state should not be a charitable endeavour. It is the state's responsibility to ensure that these people are taken care of. There should be no charitable giving required or even wanted.

SpiderChrist

So, has "Lest We Forget" (fat fucking chance) replaced "Never Again"?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Cloud on November 11, 2021, 09:25:27 AM
In fairness the title is not exactly obvious

You should know by now that the dishing out of the CHECK OUT THIS DUNCE meme isn't about fairness.

Quote2 minutes silence here at 11 which shouldn't be difficult being sat in silence most of the day.

I might even make two minutes noise instead. It's the contrast with the surrounding time that's important, isn't it? Not the fact that it's silence. Perhaps I'll sing this at the top of my voice to show the neighbours I've taken the time out to celebrate commemorate: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUvu4Nc9adQ

buttgammon

I considered making noise too but the Irish context is different enough that I have to demonstrate to my new neighbours that I'm not one of those Brits.

shiftwork2

What has been the RBL's role in debasing the practice of quiet Remembrance and 'Never Again'?  Declining interest in their work as the old fellas they helped have gone combined with a lifeline thrown from 2007's Help For Heroes and its patriotic bullshit?

amateur

I don't wear a poppy, have never worn a poppy, and no-one has ever had an issue with it. Never had anyone even talk to me about it.

Sure it goes without saying that this is all performative online bollocks.

JaDanketies

It was just 11am on the 11/11/2021, 103 years since the signing of the Armistice.

imitationleather

Who's got their poppy buttplug in today, then?

Uncle TechTip

Oops I forgot about this. I'm having my minutes silence now.

There, all remebered.

imitationleather

JaDanketies

Quote from: robhug on November 11, 2021, 11:14:58 AM
we're you deliberately a second out?

in memory of the last person to die in WW1, at 10:59am, Henry Gunther. Is it okay to call this Henry Gunther an idiot? What a dumb way to die.

QuoteGunther's unit, Company 'A', arrived at the Western Front on September 12, 1918. Like all Allied units on the front of the Meuse-Argonne Offensive, it was still embroiled in fighting on the morning of November 11. The Armistice with Germany was signed by 5:00 a.m., local time, but it would not come into force until 11:00 a.m. Gunther's squad approached a roadblock of two German machine guns in the village of Chaumont-devant-Damvillers near Meuse, in Lorraine. Gunther got up, against the orders of his close friend and now sergeant, Ernest Powell, and charged with his bayonet. The German soldiers, already aware of the Armistice that would take effect in one minute, tried to wave Gunther away. He kept going and fired "a shot or two". When he got too close to the machine guns, he was shot in a short burst of automatic fire and killed instantly. The writer James M. Cain, then a reporter for the local daily newspaper, The Sun, interviewed Gunther's comrades afterward and wrote that "Gunther brooded a great deal over his recent reduction in rank, and became obsessed with a determination to make good before his officers and fellow soldiers".

Kankurette

I just whacked on The Intense Humming of Evil as my Remembrance Day listening.
Quote from: TheBrownBottle on November 11, 2021, 09:33:18 AM
I once asked my grandfather why he didn't wear a poppy when everyone had learned at school that day how important it was to wear one (this was the late '80s - so proto-poppy-fascism).  He told me that he didn't wear one because of my great-grandfather; that he'd went to war as a young man, and lost an eye (and a good chunk of his face) at Passchendaele, and how he returned home after 'recovering' in hospital to find that he would need to return to the working in the pit promptly.  His father also told him of the venomous hatred that war induced in both his friends at the front and himself - not of the Germans, but of the bastards who'd sent them there, and had happily wasted millions of them for precious little.  Special hatred was reserved for Douglas Haig.  And to 7-year-old me's delight (because there is no greater pleasure for a child than hearing an adult swear), he would 'never buy fucking anything with that cunt Haig's name on it'.

N.B. I'm sure everyone here is aware, but for those who aren't - the poppy appeal was part of the Haig Fund, set up by the man who'd sent them off to be butchered in the first place.  Poppies used to have 'Haig Fund' written on them.  Because charity is ultimately for many a self-serving thing.

P.S. It is still lost on me how we can remember people we've never met.  Remembrance services no doubt had a poignancy to those scarred by the loss of loved ones in a mechanised war.  There's pretty much no-one alive who could have memories of those who fell in the Great War.  Once the last WWII veteran shuffles off, they really need to call time on the whole thing.
I didn't know about the Haig Fund, but I've heard other stories about veterans who had similar views to your great-granddad. They threw their medals in the bin and wouldn't wear a poppy, they hated all the pomp and ceremony surrounding it.

Did you see the Passchendaele commemoration a few years ago? I watched it and cried my eyes out, because one thing that got me - same with that Doctor Who two-parter with the Family of Blood, the only time I'd ever cried at a DW episode - was the fact they were sending literal children to die in the trenches. Boys barely out of school. And of course there was the class aspect of it as well. So many people forget why WW1 was fought in the first place. And all the WW1 vets are dead now, and soon all the WW2 vets will be dead, as will all the Holocaust survivors.

I'm ashamed to say I forgot to do the silence today because I was working, but I WFH anyway. But that's how ingrained it is in me, I guess.

Dex Sawash

There was a German named Hitler
He loved dogs and was a vegetarian
Sorry this limerick is shitler

Kankurette

Hitler had Blondi
She was an Alsatian
He sent her on
A permanent vacation

Blue Jam

I am wearing a (red) poppy today but I'm kind of glad the Scottish poppies are a different design. It makes me feel distanced from the poppy fascists and the Are Brave Boys lot.

Got my own reasons for wearing one but you're meant to keep these things quiet and personal aren't you? That's why Lawrence Fox getting #PoppyStories trending on Twitter last year annoyed me, you're meant to make a dignified and modest little tribute, not crow about your grandad's bravery to the entire world via a fucking hashtag.

Blue Jam

Quote from: Kankurette on November 11, 2021, 12:25:30 PM
Hitler had Blondi
She was an Alsatian
He sent her on
A permanent vacation

Why is this making me think of Ricky Gervais and that dog in After Life?

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Kankurette on November 11, 2021, 11:51:15 AM
I just whacked on The Intense Humming of Evil as my Remembrance Day listening.I didn't know about the Haig Fund, but I've heard other stories about veterans who had similar views to your great-granddad.

Yep, my dad was in the RAF during WWII and he wouldn't wear a poppy because of the connection with the Haig Fund (and other reasons including being anti-war).

Thursday

Work hasn't acknowledged the day at all. I don't think most real people care, outside of politicians, newspapers, and right-wing culture war people.

Johnny Foreigner

You've got to hand it to the First World War, though: it provided unprecedented employment opportunities for the building industry.

Captain Z

Remembrance day, what a terrible name for a commemoration. Reminds me of that tragedy.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Thursday on November 11, 2021, 03:26:34 PMI don't think most real people care, outside of politicians, newspapers, and right-wing culture war people.

London bubble? It was inescapable in Leeds. We even have rows of Heroes christmas lights so that we can REMEBER all the way through the festive season.