Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 05:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Señor Spielbergos

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, November 10, 2021, 06:07:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

An tSaoi

Quote from: An tSaoi on November 15, 2021, 02:22:18 PM
You get Colm Meaney when Brendan Gleeson turns you down. I think that's what happened with Alpha Papa.

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on November 15, 2021, 02:25:30 PM
Gleeson had actually started shooting on Alpha Papa and only left when it became clear there was no script.

Wow, I didn't know he went as far as shooting.

mothman

Often think about how Colm Meaney was originally down to play Gene Hunt in the US remake of Life On Mars, only to lose out when the show was re-tooled after the pilot, with the setting changed from LA to NY, and the role recast with Harvey Keitel. Wonder whether he feels he lost out, or dodged a bullet.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: mothman on November 15, 2021, 02:33:15 PM
Often think about how Colm Meaney was originally down to play Gene Hunt in the US remake of Life On Mars, only to lose out when the show was re-tooled after the pilot, with the setting changed from LA to NY, and the role recast with Harvey Keitel. Wonder whether he feels he lost out, or dodged a bullet.

Since it only lasted one season I doubt he's broke up about it. And only two years later he was cast in Hell on Wheels, which lasted for 4 or 5 seasons, so I think he got the better end of the deal.

Famous Mortimer

I was just reading about "The Farmer and the Belle: Saving Santaland", based on a true story, apparently, starring the people who the true story is about. Not a very exciting story, but popping up is model-turned-actor Natasha Bure, who you might also know as the woman you call when Brie Larson has turned you down due to you having no money and wanting to make some shitty faith-based Christmas movie:

Now that Bradley Walsh has eclipsed him in terms of fame and recognition, Brian Conley is what you get when you order that West End actor and soap star, who hosts The Chase, from Facebook Marketplace.

dead-ced-dead

Wasn't Bob Hoskins the Señor Spielbergo to Danny DeVito (and a bunch of other Italian American actors) for ages?

I think Hoskins even joked about it. After Roger Rabbit, if DeVito turned a role down, he'd get a call. And when they were making the Untouchable, they cast Hoskins as Al Capone. They had no intention of casting him, but DeNiro was asking for a ridiculous sum, so they cast Bob for $1m, which got Robert to lower his paycheque considerably.

Bob had a pay or play deal so he got payed for doing work, and he joked to De Palma, "Are there any other roles you don't want me to play?"

Bronzy

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on November 17, 2021, 12:00:30 PM
Wasn't Bob Hoskins the Señor Spielbergo to Danny DeVito (and a bunch of other Italian American actors) for ages?

I think Hoskins even joked about it. After Roger Rabbit, if DeVito turned a role down, he'd get a call. And when they were making the Untouchable, they cast Hoskins as Al Capone. They had no intention of casting him, but DeNiro was asking for a ridiculous sum, so they cast Bob for $1m, which got Robert to lower his paycheque considerably.

Bob had a pay or play deal so he got payed for doing work, and he joked to De Palma, "Are there any other roles you don't want me to play?"

Here's Bob telling the story on Wogan:
https://twitter.com/MrKenShabby/status/971841161827667969

Mr Banlon

Bryan Forbes dead ? Why not use Seth from Uhh Yeah Dude ?

The "Brucesploitation" subgenre of cheap action films is defined by having a Señor Speilbergo Bruce Lee in each one.

Jerzy Bondov

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on November 15, 2021, 12:13:26 PMHe even starred in a Lidl version of Venom, called Upgrade. It is actually the superior of the two films, though - which might sound like faint praise, since Venom was guff, but Upgrade is a an ace little film[nb]Lidl film[/nb] in its own right.
I love Logan Marshall Green, he is absolutely fucking brilliant in Upgrade, honestly up there with Paul Weller in Robocop in terms of what he does with movement. YES REALLY! I like Tom Hardy but I rate LMG more to be honest. I was listening to one of the new It's Always Sunny podcasts and one of them offhandedly mentioned hanging around with him when they were coming up with the show.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Quote from: Jerzy Bondov on November 26, 2021, 04:21:08 PMI love Logan Marshall Green, he is absolutely fucking brilliant in Upgrade, honestly up there with Paul Weller in Robocop in terms of what he does with movement. YES REALLY!
I would not disagree with you for a second. The way he essentially plays two roles at once - brutal fighter and horrified bystander - is amazing and utterly farts on the similar scenes from Venom.

I must admit, I wrote him off after Prometheus, which was unfair of me. It's not his fault he was lumbered with such a crappy character in that.

beanheadmcginty

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Jerzy Bondov

Famous Mortimer

Vinnie Jones is, of course, the Aldi Jason Statham, but what if you need the Aldi Vinnie Jones? The bins round the back of the pound shop version? Can I interest you in Craig Fairbrass?

Glebe

^Sean Bean has gone absolutely mental on the steroids.

beanheadmcginty

As any connoisseur of the Rise of the Footsoldier films knows, Fairbrass is an infinitely better actor than both Jones and the Stath.

dead-ced-dead

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on November 29, 2021, 03:33:57 PMAs any connoisseur of the Rise of the Footsoldier films knows, Fairbrass is an infinitely better actor than both Jones and the Stath.

He also pre-dates them both, he was part of John Lithgow's group of villains in Cliffhanger.

Famous Mortimer

Quality is a tricky measurement when you're talking actors of this calibre, but it's more the star power. Fairbrass is the guy you get if you write a script for Statham or Jones but they say "no thanks, I would like to be paid more than a tenner to be in this".

No hate towards Fairbrass, who's plenty of fun in everything I've seen him in.

Glebe

Just recently confused Kristin Schaal with SNL's Heidi Gardner.

dr beat

Mention of Craig Fairbrass reminds me I should watch Muscle at some point, but not a Christmas film by the sounds of it.  Guardian warning, but admittedly his interview with that paper is a very interesting read. Soz can't link on phone.

Poobum

Remember Craig Fairbrass from Stargate SG1, I just couldn't get on with a Jaffa with a London accent.

"...the pwide of Apoffis."