Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:51:27 PM

Login with username, password and session length

"It is die, de Klerk!"

Started by Huxleys Babkins, November 11, 2021, 10:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic
FW de Klerk, the last president of segregated South Africa has died at 85.

Dismantled apartheid and was bald, so clearly a great bunch of lads, unless one of yous dredges up a forgotten incident where he buggered a puppy or called Mandela a wanker or something.

Jittlebags

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 11, 2021, 10:40:56 AM
Dismantled apartheid and was bald, so clearly a great bunch of lads, unless one of yous dredges up a forgotten incident where he buggered a puppy or called Mandela a wanker or something.

Clearly he was no Pik Botha.

imitationleather

A load of South African cunts really hate the guy, so he must have been a good'un.

dissolute ocelot

Formerly chair of the Law Society of Vaal Triangle, which sounds a bit Harry Potter-ish.

Kankurette

Now presumably hanging out with Mandy in Heaven.

I'll always be glad that ol' Nelson outlived Thatcher.

Alberon

Quote from: dissolute ocelot on November 11, 2021, 11:39:11 AM
Formerly chair of the Law Society of Vaal Triangle, which sounds a bit Harry Potter-ish.

Star Trek actually.

robhug

when he was getting the most airtime in the late 80's he must have only been 50 odd. Must have on old face.

Butchers Blind

I've never met a nice South African

Johnny Foreigner

Them Afrikaners certainly talk funny, as though they speak incredibly corrupt Dutch. I have always found it hilarious to read South African Jabberwocky; it is like Dutch from a five-year-old.
Ek kan Afrikaans verstaan. Dit is amper dieselfde taal, maar dit klink baie vreemd vir my.

Mr Banlon

Quote from: Alberon on November 11, 2021, 12:13:33 PM
Star Trek actually.

Star Trekkers/Voortrekkers it's all the same to me.

Captain Z

Could have sworn he already died several years ago.

Mr Banlon

Dex Sawash

Not even the best DJ in Die Antwoord

Shit Good Nose

Catalogue of ills

Was he a GBOL, or did he see the way the wind was blowing and decide not to risk a revolution and go for a managed transition where the whites got to keep the real power and money?

Ferris

Quote from: Butchers Blind on November 11, 2021, 12:33:53 PM
I've never met a nice South African

I used to work with an impressively dull one. He could sap the atmosphere out of a packed boozer at 30 paces.

Impressive really.

gilbertharding

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on November 11, 2021, 08:27:42 PM
Was he a GBOL, or did he see the way the wind was blowing and decide not to risk a revolution and go for a managed transition where the whites got to keep the real power and money?

Apparently he decided to destroy so many documents they had to use an actual blast furnace.

robhug

Quote from: gilbertharding on November 12, 2021, 09:49:57 AM
Apparently he decided to destroy so many documents they had to use an actual blast furnace.

Being practical is always a positive character quirk imho

Kankurette

Amazingly, I have met a couple of nice South Africans. We had a trainee rabbi at my synagogue who was South African. Couldn't understand a bloody word he said in Hebrew OR English.

monkfromhavana

I have also met a nice South African, used to live 4 doors down and played professional football in South Africa. His name was Gary.

The Dog

His name 'De Klerk' actually means 'The Klerk' in Afrikaans, or 'Africans' as we say in English.

Gurke and Hare

'Kerk' is Dutch for church, so presumably 'Klerk' means chlurch. So his actual name is The Chlurch.

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on November 11, 2021, 08:27:42 PM
He was more moderate than his precedessors such as PW Botha and John Vorster who were actual Nazi sympathisers in the 1940s and members of far-right paramilitary groups; de Klerk was more your efficient bureaucrat. But he certainly wasn't chosen as leader of the National Party for his sensitive side and message of racial tolerance. It was generally accepted by the late 80s that South Africa would have to transition to some form of majority rule (due to a combination of sanctions, disinvestment, lack of international support, and the South African armed forces being beaten in Namibia by an alliance of blacks and communists) and he seems to have decided to do it peacefully while ensuring the whites lost as little as possible.

JamesTC

Johnny Foreigner

His ancestors were Huguenots going by the name of Le Clercq. De Klerk is just Clerk or Clark.  A very ordinary name indeed; I have known several De Klerks, spelt various ways.

beanheadmcginty

Captain James De Klerk, Starship Enterprise