Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,492
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:16:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

when/why did you stop eating meat (serious thread)

Started by madhair60, November 12, 2021, 01:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madhair60

hello

further to the other thread about kicking fuck out of a horse, I'd like to know the process by which people who previously ate meat went about knocking it on the head. I find personally that the only reason I eat meat is that I always have and i like it, which is a good enough justification to myself but not actually a good reason. So what I'm interested in is what people went through when they packed it in. Cheers.

Pink Gregory

1 - being in a long term relationship with a vegetarian

2 - Simon Amstell's Carnage film

Obvs it's a slow process but those were the two major factors.  That and not particularly liking it, and finding it easy to replace.

Also I definitely wouldn't have done it myself were it not for Ms. Gregory making the decision for herself first.  Also the variety of not too expensive alternatives has basically exploded in the last 5 years, so living in a city as well, it's been easier than it ever would have been.

Alberon

I freely admit I enjoy it too much to give up. Though there are a few substitutes (like some Quorn stuff) which I like almost as much as the real thing. As soon as vat-grown meat becomes a commercial reality I'm switching to it though.

Mrs Alberon has switched to being a pescatarian in the last few years mainly out of a growing hatred of animal cruelty in farming. All eggs and meat we do get has to be humane as possible to the livestock.

Fr.Bigley

I've considered it, but I find the only protein that satiates me is animal protein.

Retinend

QDRPHNC

I eat very few types of vegetables, but at home I've replaced eating meat with Beyond and Impossible meat (in whatever form). If I go out I try to stick to seafood dishes. Not much, but it's a start.

bgmnts

Saw some guy in a doc throw puppies in an oven to kill them, i think during religious studies and politics class, fuck knows why. I couldnt get those whimpers out of my head and I very quickly realised oh yeah cows and pigs and chickens all go through that every day and fucking hell it's wrong.

Think I was 14.

It's absolutely piss easy to give up meat and dairy. Probably the easiest thing I've done in terms of a decision in life.

Ray Travez

I was going out with a woman who was vegetarian. This was a long time back, when I was 18 or so. She said she found it weird that all her friends were vegetarian, but I ate meat. She said, "You don't need it." I said, "No, I suppose not," and that was it. It wasn't a big deal. I just stopped.

Dex Sawash

Thanks to mh for setting me up retell one of the 6 boring stories I tell about me.
Been a meat heavy carb dodger for most of this millennium. Preferred meats from battery raised animals. Turned off when I go to farmers market and see the bearded hipster cunts vendors selling sausage with a sign that it was made this week from Donnie the pig with a picture of smiling Donnie covered in mud. Don't want to eat eggs from your backyard birds. Still gobbled down meat from he store on the reg.

About 5-6 years ago was prepping the Thanksgiving turkey and noted how similar that was to giving the dog a bone bath and didn't eat any of it that year (but drank a quart or so of luxurious turkey gravy). Wife got herself an Instant Pot on a black Friday deal. Went mad making roasts and chicken tingas. Sometime that winter a batch of tinga was done, pulled the chicken out to disassemble it while the sauce reduced. Got grossed out and told wife "I don't think I eat meat anymore" and binned the lot. Not really strictly off eat 1000%, will flick a bit of sausage off of a pizza slice.

Fake edit- research has shown Jan 2018 is when I stopped eating meat. CaB is good for learning about my past.

Quote from: Dex Sawash on January 02, 2019, 09:49:25 PM
I paused eating meat last January.  I'm not eating meat right now. I'm not one of those vegetarians who go on and on. I'm just not eating meat right now. Not a thing really. I'm not eating meat right now. Peole keep trying to label me vegetarian. I'm not one of those people, I'm not eating meat right now. See the difference? I don't go on about it at all. I'm just not eating meat right now.

This has made me very popular.

no_offenc

Mid 2012, I was halfway through a burger in an O'Neill's and just thought "oh I'm done after this one". Haven't touched the stuff since. Went vegan about 4 years later and haven't looked back. Still a fat get, though.

The Mollusk

Does eating ass count as eating meat (serious question)

madhair60

Pink Gregory

Retinend

Kankurette

2004. I am pescatarian but don't eat fish that much either, tbh. My dad was pescatarian and my mum loved veggie food so we ate quite a lot of it as kids, but when she remarried, my first stepdad who is a cunt was a massive carnivore and we often had Sunday roasts, barbecues, things like that. I am quite picky about food, possibly due to autism, and I hate certain tastes and textures. I have the 'cilantro is disgusting' gene. Things like gristle and fat were among the things I hated. I went to university in 2003 and did eat meat at first, but then just stopped eating it one day and that was it. I don't know exactly how it happened, I just suddenly thought, "I'm not going to eat meat anymore" and that was it. I have some great veggie cookbooks, Cranks, Food for Thought, that sort of thing (I'm doing a Food for Thought meal tonight). Mum was fine about it, I said I'd cook my own meals if it was an inconvenience to her, though my auntie kept whingeing about BLOODY VEGETARIANS when we went over to hers for dinner later that year. I eat a lot of Quorn/protein/paneer/seitan/pulses instead. Paneer is great in curries. I'd go vegan but I like cheese too much. I have switched to oat milk though. At Christmas, I just eat vegetables. My stepsister is a veggie now so IIRC we're having turkey crown this year as my current stepdad and my brother eat meat, though the parents are cutting down on the amount of meat they eat for environmental reasons. When I go to barbecues, I am happy to bring my own veggie sausages. It makes keeping kosher easier too, I don't live in a Jewish community so no friendly local kosher butcher, and I don't have to have separate fridges or plates.

I have had a very occasional bit of chicken but don't miss it. And I can't eat meat now anyway because it gives me the shits. (And I don't enjoy sucking cock that much, tbh, unless it's very big.)

your dad

I stopped eating all mammals about 2 or 3 years ago, for compassionate and reasons of solidarity. Still eat fish and chickens, although it's pretty easy to have a day when I don't eat any kind of meat. Could never be vegan though, I love cheese, eggs and milk too much. These are my choices.

Kankurette

Mr Banlon

I was never too keen on meat to start with. I couldn't stand the smell, taste or the way it sat quite heavy in my gut after eating it. So in 1991 I just stopped eating it. I don't miss it, because I didn't like it.

Pink Gregory

Kankurette

The Mollusk

Famous Mortimer

It was the book of "John Dies At The End" for me, about...ten years ago? Presumably I've mentioned it on here before. There's a bit in there where the magic pills that the two main characters take give them hyper-awareness, and one of them looks at a chicken sandwich and knows the thoughts that were going through the chicken's head before it died. This rattled around my head for a few days, until I just went "guess I'm not doing that any more, then". Never looked back (although I do occasionally miss the mixed grills that my old local used to do on a Thursday night).

chveik

five years ago, after watching wonder showzen's first episode

Retinend

Neville Chamberlain

Hah, still not watched that! I've heard mostly really good things about it, from vegans and non-vegans alike.

Norton Canes

Gave up about 28 years ago when I was a workshy dole scum fed up of eating really cheap meat (freeflow mince etc.)

The Ombudsman

Both parents were, so brought up one. Never eaten the meats (including fish).

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: Neville Chamberlain on November 12, 2021, 02:34:12 PM
Hah, still not watched that! I've heard mostly really good things about it, from vegans and non-vegans alike.

It's one of the best pieces of British satire since Brass Eye (genuinely my view)

Buelligan

Always loved meat best.  Then I loved cooking.  Tried cooking vegetarian for a week, never went back.  Slowly moved further and further away from all it touches.  I also get on extremely well with non-humans so the thought of contributing in any way to their suffering is out of the question.