Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 06:34:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

when/why did you stop eating meat (serious thread)

Started by madhair60, November 12, 2021, 01:10:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lemming

Either eight or nine years old when I became a vegetarian, I think, much to my mother's initial chagrin. I think most kids experience a shock of guilt and distress when they learn THE TRUTH ABOUT SAUSAGES, but I never managed to repress it again, and neither of my parents could manage to explain to me why I was supposed to be okay with it. Oh, I also had a beloved pet fish and I wasn't able to understand the difference between Florence The Goldfish (beloved) and the fish getting minced to fuck and having their remains shoved into fish fingers, probably mixed with the remains of twenty other fish.

Don't remember anything about the actual experience of quitting really, other than that I missed turkey dinosaurs for a few weeks, and other people thought I was insane.

Can't remember when I became a vegan, I flirted with it for a while until one day there was a moment when I realised I'd done it without actually trying just because I'm so lazy that I can't be bothered making anything that requires any skill, so I just ate a shitton of sandwiches and nasty acidic-tasting homemade smoothies.

GoblinAhFuckScary

i stayed in iceland for an arts festival for a few weeks about six years ago at one of those 'pivotal-life-moments' you sometimes have. was considering giving up around that time, and the desire was cemented by quite a few gross out meat experiences. i was about 12 hours drive from reykjavik and in this remote place there was a fish factory with a whaling ship nearby and it was just such a visceral experience; it's the kind of thing I can shut my eyes and focus and bring back that smell which turns you inside out a lil. there was a restaurant which served puffin meat, next to a shop that sold cuddly puffins and it was like that bit in simpsons with the cute sheep

thenoise

Quote from: Retinend on November 12, 2021, 02:06:51 PM
are sperms a vegan ingredient?

Its a nut extract.

Sorry, same joke I made last time veggie thread, at least i got karma for it back then.

Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals is what did it from me, hits it from every angle. Then I realised every justification I had for not eating meat also applied to dairy so I cut that out too.

Piece of piss although I do treat myself to a bit of cheese on special occasions or when otherwise out of options.

madhair60

Quote from: LynnBenfield69 on November 12, 2021, 09:13:58 PM
Jonathan Safran Foer's Eating Animals is what did it from me, hits it from every angle.

thank you, I just purchased this. I am on holiday next week so I will try to get it read.

Twit 2

Just as TV Chattyman Allen Carr decreed you must continue to smoke cigarettes while you read his popular "How 2...Not!" book, I, Twit 2, command that you eat bacon sandwiches continuously while you read it. The ecstasy will duly give way to horror. Then you'll die of cancer, just like TV's former Chattyman, Allen Carr.

madhair60

Twit 2

Excellent, now if you could just get down on the awful fucking floor and open your mouth and open your anus, I'll just gently kick yellow stickered unsmoked lardons up your orifices till you hospice.

Cold Meat Platter

What if we were to go into space and find a race of evil but delicious space monsters that we could eat? Remember, they're wankers, so it's fine. Really nasty pieces of work.

Ferris

Still eat meat because I really like it, but I'm finding it harder and harder to justify. "Because I like it" is a shit reason to kill things (or have them killed on your behalf), to put it mildly.

I only buy posh meat and am trying to reduce my intake but I should stop altogether really shouldn't I?

What are some good vegetarian foods I should be cooking/making? Is there a pamphlet I can subscribe to?

SpiderChrist

Went veggie when I was 16 after watching The Animals Film on Channel 4. That didn't last long, cos I had next to no self-discipline. Stopped eating meat again about 20 years ago, initially for financial reasons but with a bit of guilt thrown in. I've always been a bit squeamish about eating meat anyway. By this time my lactose intolerance was getting worse (and I've always been allergic to eggs) so my diet became vegan by default. Nowadays just the idea of eating meat or fish makes me feel ill, and not eating it feels like the most natural and obvious choice.

Replies From View

Shoulders?-Stomach!

dissolute ocelot

I didn't have a really good reason. I kind of cut it out of my diet over a while in my 20s, initially I still ate fish for a few months, but gradually knocked it on the head without particularly telling anyone or any formal announcement, and finally told my mum on Christmas Eve when I was due round for Xmas dinner next day. Probably a mix of reasons, I knew some vegetarians, I was working near a farm so there were lots of livestock wandering around, and I never really learnt to cook meat or even to buy it (other than burgers and sausages). Went vegan much more recently, once you could actually get vegan food.

Ferris

Chicken kebab and chips for tea because Ferris Jr has been sick all day[nb]time of first vomit: 3:35am[/nb] and I was fucking knackered so limped round the place near us for sustenance.

Must do better.

Dex Sawash

Ferris

Quote from: Dex Sawash on November 18, 2021, 12:12:22 AM
Falafel is probably shit there anyway

There's a good falafel one but it's further away and I'm shattered. I shouldn't just default to meat though, don't know what the solution is. So very tired.

jfjnpxmy

Used to work in a slaughterhouse. Wasn't the guy who killed them, but I did the prepping and halving, and on days when the yardman was off I'd help hustle them from the lorry to the kill floor.

Didn't consciously know it was messing with me at first. Just found myself getting snappier and more irritable. Sleep got worse, started to feel tense and guilty all the time. Eventually got sacked when some cunt kicked fuck out of a pig with a broken leg and I lashed a half brick at him. Got the cunt right on the clavicle, didn't know he played one.

That was September 2010, made it my New Year's resolution to only eat humanely treated meat, realised that was a bollox and just went full veggie.

Be warned: tedious cunts making WOOAHAHAH VEGETARIAN jokes doesn't stop. Ever. I figure it's guilt talking.

PlanktonSideburns

Listening to hunt it kill it fuck it eat it brother spout roganisms is going to do it for me I think

Mobbd

I was 18. Had a veggie friend who put a good case for it.

I'm 39 now and have cheated on my vegetarianism perhaps 7 times in 21 years. Not too bad.

I freely admit to being veggie for moral reasons (unlike those who just don't like meat or whatever) but I tend not to get on my high horse or try to convert people. I do, however, hate it when meat-eaters quote Hillary Briss by saying "I know it's wrong but it tastes so good", so I usually point out how similar that remark is to what paedophiles say and wish them all the best with it.

Bob-Kate

When I was a teenager, in the late 80s. Nothing to do with The Smiths, saw a Food & Drink feature on the treatment of animals. My mum and I gave up red meat pronto and over the years we both cut more types of meat out of our diets.

I'm not strictly vegetarian as I eat prawns and mussels. If I was to eat meat, it would have to be of a high welfare standard. But that's never going to happen, feel queasy at the thought and don't even like meat substitutes that are convincing. Wasted a delicious mock duck curry in Thai restaurant once because I couldn't get it out of my head that it might really be duck.