News:

It's still under construction, so please bear with me


The Big December 19th Trans Fundraising Topic

Started by canadagoose, November 12, 2021, 04:21:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

canadagoose

November 12, 2021, 04:21:07 PM Last Edit: November 12, 2021, 04:39:49 PM by canadagoose
Right, I'm biting the bullet, here it is. (A spinoff of https://www.cookdandbombd.co.uk/forums/index.php/topic,90604.0.html) Charities I've seen listed:


Suggested hashtags:
#TransCaBal
#TransEnBee
#thedaythecavalrycame
#NotBannedFromTwitter (probably a joke)
#JKRowling (again, probably a joke)
#GlinworkJ
#bananafund

I got those through searching for "#" on a couple of pages so I may have missed some out.

Also this might go better in GB but the banana cunt topic is in here so I put this in here too.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Don't have any ideas for the hashtag myself but i would say if it comes to a choice between an excellent pun or reference needling Glinner that casual observers might not understand or one likely to trend and attract donations, go for the second.

canadagoose

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 12, 2021, 04:29:28 PM
Don't have any ideas for the hashtag myself but i would say if it comes to a choice between an excellent pun or reference needling Glinner that casual observers might not understand or one likely to trend and attract donations, go for the second.
I reckon we could have a poll? Foolishly though I forgot to add one. Maybe folk could add a couple more suggestions and then some nice admin (cough, cough, Neil?) could edit a poll into this topic?

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 12, 2021, 04:29:28 PM
Don't have any ideas for the hashtag myself but i would say if it comes to a choice between an excellent pun or reference needling Glinner that casual observers might not understand or one likely to trend and attract donations, go for the second.

Yes, I've come around on this (despite championing #bananafund, which I still like). However, it's hard to get away from the fact that a good part of the significance of this fundraising is that it exists in opposition to Glinner's stupid idea.

Not really making a suggestion one way or the other - maybe it is better to have a more generic hashtag and then explain give it a bit more context in Twitter posts or whatever.

The Guppy

Stonewall was mentioned too. I don't think they're the best choice because they're not trans-focused, but they are under attack for being trans-inclusive.

Mermaids are cool and they've got previous with Linehan. But yeah a poll is a good idea.

canadagoose

Quote from: QDRPHNC on November 12, 2021, 04:37:37 PM
Yes, I've come around on this (despite championing #bananafund, which I still like). However, it's hard to get away from the fact that a good part of the significance of this fundraising is that it exists in opposition to Glinner's stupid idea.

Not really making a suggestion one way or the other - maybe it is better to have a more generic hashtag and then explain give it a bit more context in Twitter posts or whatever.
Duly added - I must have missed that somehow. Adding Stonewall as per The Guppy's suggestion too.


QDRPHNC

Since this is an "adding up the receipts at the end" type of fundraising, why not narrow it down to maybe 5 - 10 recommended organizations to donate to and leave it at the discretion of the individual?

Could also encourage people to say a little something on Twitter about why they donated to a particular charity, could #drive #engagement #driveengagement

Mister Six

^ Yes, that. Give options, let people decide what's chimes with them.

Just want to say that I too love #bananafund, but CaB in-jokes are a nonstarter if we're hoping for this to go viral. And probably ignoring Glinner is the best choice, as the cunt wants attention more than anything. And we'll always compare poorly with Hbomberguy's livestream from a few years back anyway, if we make that connection.

I've got professional experience of fundraising and would be very happy to share some tips on how to make this work. If whoever's in charge wants to PM me then I can arrange a conversation or can send some information over.

I don't want to piss on the bonfire, but it would be a really good idea to just focus on one cause and set up a JustGiving page or similar. The next best option would be to have a central fund that you can then use to donate the money to the different charities, but you'll miss out on Gift Aid that way.

That way, everyone can see exactly how much has been raised. The more money that's raised, the more likely others are going to join in. That won't happen as well if you're relying on people to DM their receipts, because less than half will bother to do that (especially if it goes viral and attracts attention outside of CaB) - and a lower visible total means fewer donations.

You also don't want to make people have to think about which cause to give to. You need to make it as easy as possible, and you can do that by just fundraising for one charity.

FalknerHinton

Quote from: Wayman C. McCreery on November 12, 2021, 06:01:11 PM
I've got professional experience of fundraising and would be very happy to share some tips on how to make this work. If whoever's in charge wants to PM me then I can arrange a conversation or can send some information over.

I don't want to piss on the bonfire, but it would be a really good idea to just focus on one cause and set up a JustGiving page or similar. The next best option would be to have a central fund that you can then use to donate the money to the different charities, but you'll miss out on Gift Aid that way.

That way, everyone can see exactly how much has been raised. The more money that's raised, the more likely others are going to join in. That won't happen as well if you're relying on people to DM their receipts, because less than half will bother to do that (especially if it goes viral and attracts attention outside of CaB) - and a lower visible total means fewer donations.

You also don't want to make people have to think about which cause to give to. You need to make it as easy as possible, and you can do that by just fundraising for one charity.

I'm not a pro fundraiser but this certainly feels like sound advice. If we want to attract attention away from CaB I think people have a certain perception about what a charity fundraiser looks like and we're far more likely to get them to part with cash if it's as simple as possible and looks like what they're expecting.

Do all the fundraising sites (justgiving etc) take an admin cut?

Kankurette

It would definitely be easier to focus on one specific charity.

typeforty

My comment is, like Graham, no longer relevant.

Milo

This will be my first charitable donation since the last Richard Herring one.

Mister Six

Quote from: FalknerHinton on November 12, 2021, 06:15:51 PM
I'm not a pro fundraiser but this certainly feels like sound advice. If we want to attract attention away from CaB I think people have a certain perception about what a charity fundraiser looks like and we're far more likely to get them to part with cash if it's as simple as possible and looks like what they're expecting.

Do all the fundraising sites (justgiving etc) take an admin cut?

Some of them use a tipping function, where they ask for donators to throw 1-3 dollars or whatever in on top of their donation.

touchingcloth

Quote from: canadagoose on November 12, 2021, 04:21:07 PM
Also this might go better in GB but the banana cunt topic is in here so I put this in here too.

This is GB, sorry. What's the banana cunt topic?

FredNurke

Something that Mars executives will probably regret.

Kankurette

Quote from: touchingcloth on November 12, 2021, 09:11:48 PM
This is GB, sorry. What's the banana cunt topic?
The Glinner thread in the Comedy bit. It's where the idea was conceived.

Mister Six


pigamus

The email I got back from Trans Aid Cymru, for reference.

Quote from: pigamus on November 10, 2021, 01:16:01 PM
Reply from Trans Aid Cymru:

Hi Adam

This is awesome, we're going to set up an event for you all to set up to donate to the Opencollective. This is a test event, so similar to what it would look like. https://opencollective.com/test-ebbaa6b6

All you need to do is Title, description and a cover photo, so get photoshopping.
A few titles I've come up with from the top of my head.

"Chris Morris Fan Coming Out day "

#ComeOut4ChrisMorris

Feel free to share this reply in the forum, link and all.



Thanks

Shash Appan

Trans Aid Cymru Media Person and Sysadmin

Pronouns: She/her

Website: transaid.cymru
Donate: https://opencollective.com/transaidcymru
Twitter: https://twitter.com/transaidcymru

Barry Admin


Quote from: Barry Admin on November 12, 2021, 10:52:34 PM
Can't have anything to do with CM on there.

Yeah, as good as this idea is, I don't think he should be roped into this mess

Mister Six

Should deffo get Reece Shearsmith and Steve Pemberton to promote it, though. Work off some of the bad karma from Babs...

Quote from: Shoulders?-Stomach! on November 12, 2021, 04:29:28 PM
i would say if it comes to a choice between an excellent pun or reference needling Glinner that casual observers might not understand or one likely to trend and attract donations, go for the second.

I expect you'd find the donations dishearteningly meagre if you were to remove the kiwifarms aspect.

We ain't on the 13th 100-page trans comrades thread, let's put it that way.

I say lean into it.

flotemysost

Just catching up but obviously this is a stellar idea.

Forgive my ignorance re: the fundraising side of things (I have read the Comedy Chat thread but just wanted to be sure) - but what form is this going to take exactly - like, will it be a purely Twitter hashtag/social media/viral type thing, aimed mainly at those who are already aware of/involved in all the online stuff? Or, will there be link/s to fundraising pages that could be shared independently with anyone who wants to help trans causes (like, just something you could share over WhatsApp with your family/mates, for example - rather than anything specifically CaB/Twitter/glinner related)?

I'm not on Twitter and don't use social media much, but I was wondering if it's the kind of thing that I could, say, share internally on my work intranet closer to the time - that sounds a bit pathetic, but it's a big company with lots of LGBTQ+ employees, and I know they're actively trying to step up their support for trans colleagues, so I'm sure there'd be some traction.

The only thing I can think they might have an issue with is if the tone of any linked stuff is very obviously "*specific public figure* is a massive cunt" - it's a media company which represents lots of entertainment-type figures so they'll be conscious of PR, even if it is only shared internally - and I doubt they'd want any association with all the Twitter/CaB/internet stuff either - but I fully appreciate that might be the case, given the reasons behind this idea's conception! (Tbh I'd be very surprised if no one at my workplace is aware of CaB already, but that's by the bye.)

Apologies if I've completely got the wrong end of the stick though.

Shoulders?-Stomach!

Quote from: ImmaculateClump on November 13, 2021, 04:55:58 AM
I expect you'd find the donations dishearteningly meagre if you were to remove the kiwifarms aspect.

We ain't on the 13th 100-page trans comrades thread, let's put it that way.

I say lean into it.

That's here though. Not really surprising that we know all our own in jokes. Or that a UK comedy forum is interested in the catastrophic turn of one of the most high profile UK comedy writers.

I'm not saying remove all reference to the prejudice and day to day abuse transpeople face, or even the fact that is made many times worse by the ignorance, egos and mendacity of certain public figures.

NIP leaned into their noisy twitter following. Net result: 500 votes.

Kankurette

We've got to keep Linehan's name out of it. That prick does not need publicity and you know he'll try to turn it to his advantage.

The Guppy

I think it's alright to mention the stupid "GC coming out day" shite, and that the fundraiser was born from a desire to turn a negative idea into a positive one. But don't mention the wanker himself, or allude to him in any way.

Quote from: flotemysost on November 13, 2021, 10:39:52 AM
will it be a purely Twitter hashtag/social media/viral type thing, aimed mainly at those who are already aware of/involved in all the online stuff? Or, will there be link/s to fundraising pages that could be shared independently with anyone who wants to help trans causes (like, just something you could share over WhatsApp with your family/mates, for example - rather than anything specifically CaB/Twitter/glinner related)?
I hope it'll be the latter. I'm sure I can whip up a few extra donors if it's not a CaB-exclusive thing.

flotemysost

Quote from: Kankurette on November 13, 2021, 11:33:16 AM
We've got to keep Linehan's name out of it. That prick does not need publicity and you know he'll try to turn it to his advantage.

Agreed (IMHO).

Quote from: The Guppy on November 13, 2021, 11:48:11 AM
I hope it'll be the latter. I'm sure I can whip up a few extra donors if it's not a CaB-exclusive thing.

That's it - I mean, I suppose there's nothing stopping anyone from encouraging their mates/family/colleagues etc. to donate to charity/ies on that date anyway, regardless of any CaB stuff, but I guess it makes sense for it to be a cohesive thing.

My work has a LGBTQ+ working group/committee and I was thinking I could maybe see if they'd even be interested in setting up some kind of company fundraiser type thing - the actual date's a Sunday, and given most of us are WFH it wouldn't be an in-person thing anyway... but I'm sure I could think of something. However I'd be way more inclined to pitch this if it was a "let's drum up some much needed support for trans causes" angle, rather than "let's get back at bizarre transphobe glinner", or any strong emphasis on Twitter/CaB/internet stuff - or in fact direct mention of any specific public figures really, which might just come across as a bit weird and niche and offputting (and in the case of my employer is most likely a definite no-go).

Btw I'm absolutely not trying to dictate the direction of this, or take away from it being a CaB thing at all - just trying to get my head around what the plan is I suppose, and think of the most fruitful way of getting it out there.

Kelvin

Keep Linehan out of it, keep any of that transphobic cult's in-jokes / references out of it, keep our in-jokes out of it. Maybe include an obvious reference to CaB, and make it a positive, pro-trans pitch, rather than something pettily raised in opposition to a niche sub-group of bigots and weirdos.

A lot of people here (or at least in that Linehan thread) are very, very immersed in all the obscure references, language, and news stories around this issue and specifically Linehan's little gang. But if you want to reach beyond people who know those references, the fundraiser needs to be more accessible.