Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:02:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Good old Columbo

Started by Nowhere Man, November 14, 2021, 01:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny_Jim

Those Japanese detective shows are wild though, ended up watching one called 'Massage Detective Joe', which as the title suggests, is about a introverted masseuse who can solve crimes by giving someone a massage.  So to see a homegrown version of Colombo is not surprising, especially considering these shows are very much like Columbo in that there are very formulaic episode to episode.

Also, can't talk about Massage Detective Joe without posting the slightly bonkers credit sequence

PlanktonSideburns

Jake Thingray

David Koenig's book discloses that "Dagger of the Mind" could have been even more phoney, as it was a comparatively late decision to allow extra shekels enabling location shooting in Britain. The first time I saw "The Conspirators", as a BBC1 afternoon repeat in 1995 and with the above in mind, I read the synopsis in the Radio Times and wondered if the ep, similarly, had any genuine filming in Ireland, or anything authentically Irish about it.

Oh dear.

George White

watched the last original ep - the Conspirators, which is set amongst the Irish community.
Clive Revill is fun, but it's full of errors. He doesn't have a Belfast accent, he says Londonderry despite being a Catholic and proud Provo, the only Irish person in the cast AFAIK is Sean McClory and the character of Kerry calls TVguides 'program logs'.

GoblinAhFuckScary

George White

ANyone else ever seen Mrs. Columbo?

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Replies From View on November 16, 2021, 08:48:50 AMdoes he have a glass eye or what

Yes, he says 3 eyes are better than 2 when he was going to help someone look for something, in one of those later ones. Gawd know what it was called.I think it was one of those with his real life wife in it.

Replies From View

Triple the pleasure babe, one extra eye

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: George White on December 16, 2021, 09:51:32 PMANyone else ever seen Mrs. Columbo?

Exactly the same but with a bow in her hair

PlanktonSideburns

Why on EARTH isn't there a mark gruffalo columbo reboot what the FUCK IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE

superthunderstingcar

If Columbo was rebooted today, how long would it take the usual suspects (Twitter, GB News, etc.) to complain about it being "woke"?

I'm thinking less time than it took me to type this post.

Sonny_Jim

Wasn't Monk a Columbo reboot of sorts, albeit without the reverse-whodunnit bit.

beanheadmcginty

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 09, 2022, 12:59:11 AMWasn't Monk a Columbo reboot of sorts, albeit without the reverse-whodunnit bit.
I always assumed Monk was an American version of Cadfael.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Sonny_Jim on January 09, 2022, 12:59:11 AMWasn't Monk a Columbo reboot of sorts, albeit without the reverse-whodunnit bit.

It eventually got in on the reverse whodunnit gimmick too.

MojoJojo

I always thought Monk was a modern Poirot, with the OCD and everything.

monkfromhavana

I always thought Monk was shit.

Key

Quote from: superthunderstingcar on January 08, 2022, 04:50:41 PMIf Columbo was rebooted today, how long would it take the usual suspects (Twitter, GB News, etc.) to complain about it being "woke"?

I'm thinking less time than it took me to type this post.

As soon as a black actor appears onscreen.