Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 12:45:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Red Notice (sexy thief movie)

Started by Famous Mortimer, November 14, 2021, 02:54:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Famous Mortimer

Would you watch pretty much anything with the Rock, Ryan Reynolds and Gal Gadot in it? Then Netflix have the movie for you!

Aside from one quite surprising cameo, and an early goon role for Daniel Bernhart (star of several 90s fighting movies, and now pops up in all sorts of movies as "guy with a few lines who the hero beats up"), it's just the three of them and lots of no-name European actors in the background.

If you've seen "Once A Thief", or pretty much any light thievery / heist thing, then you'll feel entirely at home with this. If you get bored, you can spot the scenes where all the actors were filming their parts separately, due to schedules / COVID, and were spliced together later; or you can wonder why mega-budget movies still have large action scenes that look like bad computer game footage.

Famous Mortimer

Also, I'm beginning to wonder if Ryan Reynolds is secretly tired of playing the same character in every movie he's in.

Mister Six

If it's a made for Netflix thing, it's almost certainly not actually a mega-budget film in any way that matters. Their MO is to hire one or two (or three in this case, I guess) big-name celebs and then spend absolutely nothing on anything else, including SFX, directors or cinematography. It's why so many of the Netflix films that aren't obviously going for Oscar run look like dogshit.

C_Larence

The Netflix synopsis for this mentions a "Pulp Fiction joke" which seems like a very weird thing to put in a synopsis but I have to admit it's made me want to watch it. However, I will be strong and just ask here what the joke is.

Dr Rock

Ryan Reynolds's character has a watch his father used to have. He makes a reference to Christopher Walken's Pulp Fiction story.

C_Larence

Ah...I forgot to mention the fact that the synopsis calls it a "stellar" joke, which is half the reason it's so weird.

Dr Rock

I quite enjoyed this though. 7/10. Gal Gadot was surprisingly good imo.

Famous Mortimer

Quote from: Mister Six on November 14, 2021, 04:51:33 AM
If it's a made for Netflix thing, it's almost certainly not actually a mega-budget film in any way that matters.
The budget is $200 million, which I think is an appropriate amount to describe as "mega-budget".

It wasn't bad, certainly, but it wasn't anything you've not seen dozens of times.

Catalogue Trousers

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 14, 2021, 02:59:20 AM
Also, I'm beginning to wonder if Ryan Reynolds is secretly tired of playing the same character in every movie he's in.

Well, I'm certainly fed up of him doing it.

QuoteAh...I forgot to mention the fact that the synopsis calls it a "stellar" joke, which is half the reason it's so weird.

They're called clickbaits, and everybody has them.

chveik

i'm boycotting netflix and gal gadot

dissolute ocelot

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 14, 2021, 03:50:06 PM
The budget is $200 million, which I think is an appropriate amount to describe as "mega-budget".
Same as Eternals or Wonder Woman 1984 then. I've been falling behind on my Netflix and Amazon mega movies, they all seem designed to put on in the background while you're doing the ironing. And I don't do that much ironing.

sevendaughters

the poster of it makes it look like something that should be on re-run on ITV4 after the Champions League of snooker or something

Mister Six

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on November 14, 2021, 03:50:06 PM

It wasn't bad, certainly, but it wasn't anything you've not seen dozens of times.

Jesus Christ, I stand corrected.

Custard

'er not indoors wanted to watch this, and although I was kinda dreading it, I ended up laughing quite a bit

It's a daft bit of light-hearted fluff, entertaining enough for a couple of hours

The surprise cameo, although it's someone I usually can't stand, made me laugh quite hard, especially his
Spoiler alert
"I was in Game Of Thrones!"
[close]
line

3 baaags

bgmnts

Bloody hell isn't Gal Gadot sexy, she's so sexy, look how sexy she is.

Bloody hell isn't Ryan Reynolds funny, he's so funny, look how funny he is.

Bloody hell the Rock is big, he's so big, look how big he is.

Saying that, I did actually enjoy it for what it was. The bit
Spoiler alert
where Reynolds fails to smash the glass did make me laugh as obvious as it was.
[close]

Weird that they must have spunked hundreds of millions on the three leads but hired a nobody to play the end villain.

Butchers Blind

Ryan Reynolds playing Ryan Reynolds.
Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock playing Dwayne Johnson aka The Rock.
Gal Gadot ?

El Unicornio, mang

I thought this was pretty good fun, the 2 hours flew by. The two male leads doing their usual thing but that's no surprise, Gadot playing a bit against type and getting all dominatrix which I'm in favour of.

Goldentony

this looks lik a cunts film, utter shit hose on full blast

MojoJojo

I thought this was a bit shit, although I guess if Reynolds was working for me it would have been better..

I haven't checked but I'm guessing the production has links to the Robert Rodriguez spy kids/we can be heroes people. It felt very much like an adult version of those. And by adult I mean no child actors and swears.

[edit] huh, no obvious link. I'm surprised. [/edit]

phantom_power

I thought it was good fun. It lagged a bit as it went on and but it was suitably twisty-turny and the leads had good chemistry, though I'm not a fan of Gadot. Funny to see Russ Hanniman doing a crazy English accent

George White

All shot in Atlanta due to COVID, hence the heavy reliance on green screen.
Basically, HOllywood's reliance on shooting in Atlanta (massive tax cuts there) has made a lot of these films look completely anonymous.