Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 12:57:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Will a cheap tablet run Minecraft?

Started by NattyDread 2, November 15, 2021, 10:47:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NattyDread 2

Kids have been badgering us for ages to get Minecraft for them. Is there a cheap-ish way to do it? Other than an old Wii, we've held off getting them any screens but now reckon they'd get a lot out of a game like Minecraft.
Is it worth looking at the Wii U as well?

Any advice welcome. Cheers.

The Guppy

I'd get a second-hand PS4 or Xbox One. Minecraft is best played with a controller or mouse (imo) and the Wii version hasn't been updated in years, so you'll be in for more badgering when the kids find out they're not playing the same thing their friends are.

Make sure you get enough controllers for everyone to play together.

NattyDread 2

Thanks for that. Good point about the controllers. Can 2 play together on the one screen then? That would be better than them squabbling over a tablet.
If it's not updated on older consoles, does that only affect online multiplayer stuff?
I'm not sure that would matter too much as we have totally shite internet speeds here so a fancier newer console might be overkill. Wouldn't mind a shot of the VR stuff right enough.

The Guppy

Up to 4 can play on one screen. And because it's such a simple-looking, easy to run game, it works really well that way.

After Microsoft bought the developers of Minecraft, they combined all the different console/PC/mobile versions into one, and they can all play together online regardless of platform. But the older console versions were abandoned at that point. So Wii U, PS3 and Xbox 360 can only run these obsolete versions that don't have llamas and parrots and bears. Your kids will hate you if you get the old version, it's a proper 4-stripe Adidas fuck up.

The cool kids are moving on to Xbox Series X/PS5, so you can probably find a bargain Xbox One/PS4.

touchingcloth

Micecraft looks bobbins. It wold probably run on a Gameboy.

peanutbutter

can you play 2 player minecraft with a pair of joycons on the switch?

Whats the story with the New 3DS version, is it the full modern version or some weird intermediary?

The Guppy

No, you need a pair each, or a full-size controller for one of the players.

I don't know anything about the 3DS version but I expect it's one of the dead ones.

MojoJojo

Quote from: The Guppy on November 15, 2021, 10:57:38 AM
I'd get a second-hand PS4 or Xbox One. Minecraft is best played with a controller or mouse (imo)

I have it on switch and ipads, and kids normally play on ipads. I think kids have adapted to touch screen controls. However a console will be better if they are sharing a device.