Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,583,400
  • Total Topics: 106,741
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:03:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

New Theme

Started by H-O-W-L, November 18, 2021, 06:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does the pink make your eyes bleed?

AAAAARRRGGHH!
68 (42.8%)
No, it's lovely
46 (28.9%)
Meh
9 (5.7%)
An tSaoi
21 (13.2%)
pff.
3 (1.9%)
it will be better when we are all allowed to press our penises together onto it
10 (6.3%)
rail moat
0 (0%)
raoul moat
1 (0.6%)
Raul Panther III
0 (0%)
pisspot poo Pope
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Old Thrashbarg

Worth pointing out in case it hasn't been clear so far that it's the forum software that's been updated. So there's no way of just 'going back' to the old theme. The old theme won't be compatible with this version of the software. So work will be needed to either find a similar compatible theme that already exists or customising things to create something similar.

Dex Sawash

Can't get old colors. Will display old layout, on mobile, if you choose desktop version.

QDRPHNC

Sorry to contribute to the pile-on, but I'm finding this very difficult to read. Dark text on light background is always the way to go for readability.

Lordofthefiles

So this is goodbye?!

I get incredible Migraines from light on dark.

Byegraines!

Cloud

Any thread about forum redesigns in the history of the internet:

I'm a fan of either dark on light or better still, those fancy new ones that adapt to your OS's "dark mode" or "light mode", but it looks decent enough barring a few contrast tweaks.

Attila

Also finding the screen very hard to read -- the blue on blue means short-sighted me is squinting, and the white text is blurry due to astigmatic me (we both live together).

Every time I look away from the screen, too, I have bright lines still reflecting on my eyeballs, if that makes any sense.

Dark text on a lighter background, please -- I can't stay on to read the site at all now without feeling the edges of a headache brewing due to the eye strain, and I really like coming here (super invested at the moment in the STTNG watchalong/review).

So it's bye for now from me -- will check back with hope that the colour scheme's been sorted, but at the moment, it's hurting too much to stay for very long :(.

Norton Canes

Hi Barry really appreciate all the work you've had to do getting this theme sorted but I'm another one asking for light on dark, sorry.

thr0b

I've just installed this in Chrome:-
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/color-changer/nmdgidofjbajhphomaniiekgckpioifp/related?hl=en-GB

Which lets me change the key background/text/link colours. Improves readability until any changes are made to the theme proper.

fflip

I have a bookmarklet which simply runs through a document and inverts all the CSS colour values it can find, and when I try it here the result looks surprisingly reminiscent of old CaB.

If you want a starting point for a light theme, Barry - or if anyone else wants temporary 'light relief' - maybe it'll help.

See here: https://jsfiddle.net/str0ychx/

thr0b

Quote from: fflip on November 18, 2021, 11:55:46 AMI have a bookmarklet which simply runs through a document and inverts all the CSS colour values it can find, and when I try it here the result looks surprisingly reminiscent of old CaB.

If you want a starting point for a light theme, Barry - or if anyone else wants temporary 'light relief' - maybe it'll help.

Ooh, that's better than the one what I found. Bookmarked.

Norton Canes

Oh yes, liking that.

olliebean

Have got something more readable and vaguely similar to the colours of the old theme, using the Color Changer addon mentioned above by thr0b (Firefox version: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/site-color-changer/).

I guess the forum software update means the Ignore Topics script won't work at all in the new forum version, whatever the theme. Hopefully it will be updated soon. Until then I may have to go back to my old, much more faffy method of hiding topics I'm not interested in with uBlock Origin's element picker.

<edit> OK, the Color Changer addon doesn't work properly. (Not on Firefox, anyway.) It only changes the colours when you manually edit them. It doesn't automatically apply the preferred colours when a new page is loaded, even though I ticked the "Always" box. So that's no use. Maybe there's another similar addon that actually works.

<edit again> It only works when changing tabs, not when opening a new page in the same tab. I guess I can maybe live with that.

Bunty Levert

QuoteAlso this new theme has broken the Ignore Topics script. Massive drop in usability, as well as readability.
I've updated mine (the Chrome version is still pending review, which can take a few hours)

https://github.com/insin/cookdandbombd-ignore-topics#cookd-and-bombd-ignore-topics

chveik

olliebean

QuoteI've updated mine (the Chrome version is still pending review, which can take a few hours)

https://github.com/insin/cookdandbombd-ignore-topics#cookd-and-bombd-ignore-topics

Thank you! That's the one I'm using. Unfortunately it seems to be incompatible with the Color Changer addon - works fine without it, though - so the search for an alternative method of changing colours continues... (Fingers crossed for a readable theme in the forum settings soon.)

PaulTMA

Someone may have said this already, but the layout of each member's personal text isn't ideal on the mobile version of the site... Personally, I keep reading these when my eyes want to fall on the actual posts.  Wonder if they can be disabled on mobile site?

I only read on mobile so can't easily add fancy Chrome plugins. Usually it's just a case of getting used to new stuff but I can't really read the text any more, so those in the snooker thread waiting for me to post a photo of Stuart Bingham in a tight jersey may be left disappointed.

I also can't see avatars at all on mobile, no matter what I do with my settings.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: olliebean on November 18, 2021, 12:18:09 PMso the search for an alternative method of changing colours continues...

Quote from: fflip on November 18, 2021, 11:55:46 AMI have a bookmarklet which simply runs through a document and inverts all the CSS colour values it can find, and when I try it here the result looks surprisingly reminiscent of old CaB.

So open that jsfiddle page, bookmark the link in the bottom right box, then click the bookmark when you're on CaB.

ASFTSN

It's a bit weird looking, but this version seems to be loading a hell of a lot quicker for me when clicking through topics/pages. Is that my imagination?

Icehaven

Quote from: thr0b on November 18, 2021, 11:53:35 AMI've just installed this in Chrome:-
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/color-changer/nmdgidofjbajhphomaniiekgckpioifp/related?hl=en-GB

Which lets me change the key background/text/link colours. Improves readability until any changes are made to the theme proper.

Oh that's great, cheers! I can feel my retinas again.

Old Thrashbarg

QuoteSomeone may have said this already, but the layout of each member's personal text isn't ideal on the mobile version of the site... Personally, I keep reading these when my eyes want to fall on the actual posts.  Wonder if they can be disabled on mobile site?

Nothing built-in to remove that currently, but with a bit of tweaking of the styling it's possible:

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on November 18, 2021, 10:33:28 AM

So at some point there'll either be an option that allows it or the theme could be edited to allow it.

QuoteIt's a bit weird looking, but this version seems to be loading a hell of a lot quicker for me when clicking through topics/pages. Is that my imagination?

Gonna need to know how fast your imagination works as a benchmark.

ASFTSN

Quote from: Huxleys Babkins on November 18, 2021, 12:38:17 PMGonna need to know how fast your imagination works as a benchmark.

Ok try me, give me something to imagine, just anything, go, now, just go, right now, NOW

Quote from: ASFTSN on November 18, 2021, 12:39:51 PMOk try me, give me something to imagine, just anything, go, now, just go, right now, NOW

Linford Christie in his prime.

Bet you imagined his so-called "lunchbox" rather than him running, didn't you? Absolute waste of everyone's time.

Midas

Spoiler alert
I don't like these new spoilers.
[close]

Barry Admin

I'm back now, I don't think making CaB blue again would be quite so controversial and off-putting. It's fine, it's just gonna take a little bit of time; in particular, I need to learn how the new themes actually work in terms of layout editing.

I'll likely throw you all over to some light theme while I work on this one, not sure. But I've hardly touched this one yet, so please bear with me here.

It's very early days, don't panic.

Mr Farenheit

Can't see avatars using Opera on an android phone....
Similar gripe to the last new theme (which I otherwise loved) is that 'width=' setting doesn't work for inserting images... example where all images are width=600

pigamus

Yeah but Keith Harris is always that width

Midas

Spoiler alert
I don't like these new spoilers.
[close]

Looks like you have to be logged in to read spoilers now too.