Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 08:37:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

New Theme

Started by H-O-W-L, November 18, 2021, 06:52:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Does the pink make your eyes bleed?

AAAAARRRGGHH!
68 (42.8%)
No, it's lovely
46 (28.9%)
Meh
9 (5.7%)
An tSaoi
21 (13.2%)
pff.
3 (1.9%)
it will be better when we are all allowed to press our penises together onto it
10 (6.3%)
rail moat
0 (0%)
raoul moat
1 (0.6%)
Raul Panther III
0 (0%)
pisspot poo Pope
1 (0.6%)

Total Members Voted: 159

Barry Admin

Quote from: olliebean on November 29, 2021, 10:31:15 PMYouTube embeds seem to work better on Chrome, presumably because Google tends to deprecate the performance of their services on non-Chrome-based browsers. Takes ages on Firefox on my PC.

Oh shit, okay. I use Yandex which is Chrome-based, so that explains it.

I didn't see any options earlier, I'll see what else I can find.

The Guppy

You went back to avatars instead of usernames for mentions. I don't see how it's practical unless you've learned everyone's pictures (which is gonna take me months).

The Mollusk

Quote from: The Guppy on November 30, 2021, 06:22:38 AMYou went back to avatars instead of usernames for mentions. I don't see how it's practical unless you've learned everyone's pictures (which is gonna take me months).

I'm not a fan either. Plus seems impractical if a user without an avatar is mentioned, and the way the square image breaks up the lines of text doesn't look nice.

Barry Admin

@The Guppy @The Mollusk I uninstalled and reinstalled it a bunch of times to try and get rid of an error, and set an option wrong evidently. Chill :-)

Quote from: The Guppy on November 27, 2021, 12:19:20 AMAre you using an iPhone? YouTube embeds became annoying a few months ago, on every site that uses them. I don't think there's a way to fix it, but you'll learn to avoid them while scrolling.
Quote from: Jackson K Pollock on November 27, 2021, 12:08:45 AMVery grateful for all the hard work you've put into this, B.A., and I like the look of the new theme.

My only niggle (and it may just be me) is that embedded YouTube videos seem to be a bit too trigger-happy to play, when I'm scrolling down a thread on my phone, leading to a few awkward situations in the dentists waiting room/on the bus/in bed, etc.

Not sure how that can be avoided, but it's definitely something that has caught me out more than once.

Embedded YouTube videos can be hidden behind a spoiler to avoid this
[close]

Paul Calf

Quote from: olliebean on November 29, 2021, 10:31:15 PMYouTube embeds seem to work better on Chrome, presumably because Google tends to deprecate the performance of their services on non-Chrome-based browsers. Takes ages on Firefox on my PC.

I'm using Firefox and it's loading as crisp as fuck. Please don't turn off embedded videos!

Barry Admin

Quote from: Paul Calf on November 30, 2021, 11:27:27 AMI'm using Firefox and it's loading as crisp as fuck. Please don't turn off embedded videos!

Ohhh good to hear that. It's tough to only hear negative things when you're doing stuff like this, cause you figure it must be like that for everyone.

Again though, YouTube embeds that can be turned off in your profile will come, only a matter of time.

Paul Calf

The workaround is the spoiler tag fix, but that relies on people knowing and remembering.

olliebean

If you have to put all the embedded videos inside spoiler tags, you might as well just have links to the videos like before. It's an extra click either way.

Zetetic

If your browser/device has problems with embedded YouTube videos, I assume that isn't CaB-specific and is easy to block in your browser.

Ideally: a per-user (or per-session) option in CaB, I guess. No idea if a non-shit mod exists for this.

Quote from: olliebean on November 30, 2021, 12:31:34 PMIf you have to put all the embedded videos inside spoiler tags, you might as well just have links to the videos like before. It's an extra click either way.

I like not having to leave CaB, especially in Oscillations.

Blumf

-1 for embedded YouTube for me, especially on phones, where they suck data and battery life, even if you don't play them.

YouTube links that had the video's title on them, however, would be nice.

Barry Admin

Just checked for modifications, nothing yet, sorry @olliebean - thought there might have been something I could add to let you turn it off in your profile.

That it's not already possible to do so from your look and layout settings is crazy, and I'd imagine will change.

I'll check the admin options again later today, but am near sure I couldn't see it there.

Barry Admin

Quote from: Blumf on November 30, 2021, 01:39:53 PM-1 for embedded YouTube for me, especially on phones, where they suck data and battery life, even if you don't play them.

YouTube links that had the video's title on them, however, would be nice.

I'm on a phone, it just loads the thumbnail when you scroll to it? Doesn't seem like a big deal honestly.

pigamus

Not anything Barry can do anything about but I'm having that problem somebody mentioned on the iPad - you try and quote text and it goes mental, zooming you up the page. Must be something wrong with the focus or summat.

Blumf

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 30, 2021, 01:43:28 PMI'm on a phone, it just loads the thumbnail when you scroll to it? Doesn't seem like a big deal honestly.

And a bunch of JS that runs and loads other assets.

Admittedly, it's not as bad as a Twitter page which goes fucking crazy on the JS and asset grabbing, even for images never mind video.

Barry Admin

Yeah @pigamus I don't have an iPad to replicate that, sorry. I'll do another update at some point today, and hopefully that will iron out more proflems. I'm amazed that the "new post since your last reply" issue is still going.

holyzombiejesus

Sorry to ask again but can the Members button either be moved from directly above the 'forums' button or changed so it doesn't automatically become a drop down menu? Lost count of the times I've seen the memberlist when I've just wanted to see the forums.

Barry Admin

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 30, 2021, 01:57:30 PMSorry to ask again but can the Members button either be moved from directly above the 'forums' button or changed so it doesn't automatically become a drop down menu? Lost count of the times I've seen the memberlist when I've just wanted to see the forums.

Can you give me a screenshot to illustrate what you mean?

I can't see a forum link under it in landscape mode. Note that you can click the banner graphic to go to the front page of the forums.

Pseudopath

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on November 30, 2021, 01:57:30 PMSorry to ask again but can the Members button either be moved from directly above the 'forums' button or changed so it doesn't automatically become a drop down menu? Lost count of the times I've seen the memberlist when I've just wanted to see the forums.

That thing with the horizontal lines is called a hamburger menu and is supposed to display a drop-down navigation menu. As Barry mentioned, you can easily tap the new banner graphic (or tap "Cook'd and Bomb'd" in the breadcrumb bar) if you want to see the forums.

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Pseudopath on November 30, 2021, 04:26:32 PMThat thing with the horizontal lines is called a hamburger menu and is supposed to display a drop-down navigation menu. As Barry mentioned, you can easily tap the new banner graphic (or tap "Cook'd and Bomb'd" in the breadcrumb bar) if you want to see the forums.

That's a good tip, cheers. I was finding that Members button super-sensitive, and you also need to roll off it pretty far to get the dropdown to disappear, so clicking the banner is much better.

Barry Admin

Ohhhh finally I understand, I thought you were talking about the members link in the blue bar. Thanks for clearing that up @Pseudopath

QDRPHNC

Quote from: Barry Admin on November 30, 2021, 04:40:42 PMOhhhh finally I understand, I thought you were talking about the members link in the blue bar. Thanks for clearing that up @Pseudopath

I thought that was what everyone was talking about. I don't think it's a hamburger icon like @Pseudopath thinks. And yet their solution works regardless. So. Good.

holyzombiejesus

Yeah, it's this. I think I'm used to bringing the mouse down on to the (obscured in the screenshot) forums button so I keep on ending up clicking on view the memberlist. No worries though, I didn't realise I could use the banner. Will retrain myself. Thanks again for everything Barry.

Pseudopath

Ah...gotcha. I thought you were referring to this button, which appears if you view the site on a mobile or a very narrow desktop window:

I can see how that might be a bit annoying if you're used to using the breadcrumbs, but the banner image (or Home option in your screenshot) should hopefully be your friend.

amateur

New theme is brilliant for both reading and posting on mobile so huge thanks to Barry and everyone involved.

Barry Admin

Quote from: amateur on December 01, 2021, 06:10:30 AMNew theme is brilliant for both reading and posting on mobile so huge thanks to Barry and everyone involved.

Thanks, glad you like it :-)

Pseudopath

Yep. Absolutely stellar job, Neil. Looks clean and modern, yet weirdly familiar. Well aware of how stressful it is upgrading and tweaking a live system and dealing with irate users, so kudos for dealing with us all so calmly.

Barry Admin

Ha, thanks very much, I really appreciate that :-) I was gonna do another upgrade at about 7am this morning, but I've barely slept in days and my brain has really shit the bed. It's rough knowing what to do next, and I'm deluged with spammers again which is a time-consuming bore.  Reallt love all the new features though and am glad it's finally so much better for us mobile users.