Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 10:07:54 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Government can now remove people's citizenship more easily

Started by Fambo Number Mive, November 18, 2021, 01:10:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fambo Number Mive

Somewhat sinister:

Quote...The new clause would remove the need for notification altogether in a range of circumstances. It would also appear to be capable of being applied retrospectively to cases where an individual was stripped of citizenship without notice before the clause became law, raising questions about their ability to appeal.

Maya Foa, the director of Reprieve, said: "This clause would give Priti Patel unprecedented power to remove your citizenship in secret, without even having to tell you, and effectively deny you an appeal. Under this regime, a person accused of speeding would be afforded more rights than someone at risk of being deprived of their British nationality. This once again shows how little regard this government has for the rule of law.

"The US government has condemned citizenship-stripping as a dangerous denial of responsibility for your own nationals. Ministers should listen to our closest security ally rather than doubling down on this deeply misguided and morally abhorrent policy."

Other proposed rule changes in the bill have already attracted criticism, including rendering claims from anyone arriving in the UK by an illegal route inadmissible, while criminalising them and anyone who seeks to save their lives, and giving Border Force staff immunity from prosecution if people die in the Channel during "pushback" operations...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/nov/17/new-bill-quietly-gives-powers-to-remove-british-citizenship-without-notice

Does seem to have been ignored by most of the media, most probably because it suits their owners to do so.

Bernice

This is exactly what contentious issues like Shemima Begum's are seized upon to do. The general support for the government's decision in that case paved the way for this deeply sinister attack on fundamental rights. I know we're all broadly on the same page on here, but I do wish there was a way of communicating with people that human rights only work if they're universal, and the minute you start eroding at them in the name of paedos and terrorists and the assorted wretched of the earth, you are building a prison for all of us.

Cuellar

flotemysost

Cheers for sharing this Fambo, I agree it's incredibly sinister. Perhaps if we, I dunno, stopped contributing to situations where people are left with no other option than to put themsleves at unimaginable risk and hardship in the hope of merely being allowed to live, while we sit in our comfy homes whingeing about how you can't say anything these days, maybe they'd stop having to come here "illegally"?

The bit about criminalising anyone seeking to save their lives is fucking creepy as well. I have a journalist pal who often interviews/reports on cases of refugees in the hope of drawing attention to their plight and helping their case to be granted asylum - would indirect stuff like that be criminalised too?

"British citizenship is a privilege, not a right" - yeah, apparently not one that's afforded to anyone who's too foreign, despite the fact that the British empire this lot love so much was literally founded on the labour, displacement and deaths of the ancestors of immigrants from Commonwealth nations. (And where we instilled things like homophobic laws in societies there, forcing many more people to try and come here so that they can literally just live.)

Bet Powell is wanking in his grave. I seem to see the River Thames foaming with much cum

dissolute ocelot

The rules for refugees are directly against international agreements on refugees which say it doesn't matter how you enter a country, and prospective refugees should not be treated as criminals for illegal entry. And obviously drowning refugees is forbidden by international maritime rules and human rights law and agreements. So I've seen media pundits say it will never become law and it's just politicking and it will be amended or even withdrawn. I'm not so confident.

Paul Calf

QuoteHome Office powers to strip British nationals of their citizenship were introduced after the 2005 London bombings but their use increased under Theresa May's tenure as home secretary from 2010, and they were broadened in 2014.

Another occasion on which Blair has said "I'll just leave this thing that would have the Stasi shitting themselves with delight here," and the Tories - who love freedom so much that they're happy to see people cast out on the streets and starved to death in its name - have joyously seized on it  with cum-stained hands.

Fambo Number Mive

Stripping someone of their citizenship after they have committed a horrific crime makes no sense. We have a (very flawed) justice system which allows for people to be sentenced for such cases. If someone commits a horrific crimes, serves a couple of decades and is then deported, all it does is mean that if they do reoffend it will be against people in a different country. How does that help anything?

And there's no guarantee this will only be used against people who have committed a serious crime.

Giving Border Force staff immunity from prosecution if people die in the Channel during "pushback" operations is disturbing as well - we should be welcoming these desperate people not putting their lives at risk further. If someone is going to risk their lives in a small boat crossing the English Channel or further they are clearly in need of help - they aren't just coming over because they prefer British television or something. It looks like these refugees aren't treated very well in France: https://www.hrw.org/news/2021/10/07/france-degrading-treatment-migrants-around-calais. Not that the UK treats them well either.

It's ironic that some of these people might have the skills that we desperately need as well. Allowing asylum seekers to work and paying them a decent wage could solve the lorry driver shortage, for example.

JaDanketies

I remember when the Tories were concerned about restricting individual liberty back when they were in opposition. Shame that they were just pretending to hold these beliefs in order to make legislating more challenging for the government.

Pink Gregory

Is it not illegal to make someone stateless?

I suppose this is under the flimsiest of claims to a second nationality though, as seen with Begum

flotemysost

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 21, 2021, 11:05:42 AMSIf someone is going to risk their lives in a small boat crossing the English Channel or further they are clearly in need of help - they aren't just coming over because they prefer British television or something.

Exactly - and the crossing the Channel bit might well be after they've already endured having to survive punishing outdoor conditions, hunger and disease, getting past armed border forces in other countries they've passed through, putting themselves at the mercy of people who might physically or sexually abuse them, and having to leave behind loved ones not knowing if they'll ever see them again. Hardly a fucking cakewalk.

Also, surely any cunt knows that making something illegal will not make it stop happening, people will just come up with more and more dangerous and desperate means of making it happen. Especially if you continue to exacerbate the reasons it's happening in the first place.

Key

Quote from: Fambo Number Mive on November 21, 2021, 11:05:42 AMIf someone commits a horrific crimes, serves a couple of decades and is then deported, all it does is mean that if they do reoffend it will be against people in a different country. How does that help anything?

Well then they'd be killing Johnny Foreigner, so wins all round.

Johnny Foreigner

But if he's forked out 1600 quid, sat the Life in the UK test and a language test and all that, and they strip him of his citizenship, does he get reimbursed for it?

flotemysost

Don't be silly, the very fact that he was graciously allowed to exist here in our wonderful British society, which is without exception so welcoming and kind to non-British people, would be ample payment surely.

Quote from: Key on November 21, 2021, 12:05:09 PMWell then they'd be killing Johnny Foreigner, so wins all round.

Bit harsh, they're a great poster.

chveik

Quote from: flotemysost on November 21, 2021, 11:35:28 AMAlso, surely any cunt knows that making something illegal will not make it stop happening, people will just come up with more and more dangerous and desperate means of making it happen. Especially if you continue to exacerbate the reasons it's happening in the first place.

it's been clearly said by the US government during the COP26 (and i assume the UK, being their vassal, has the same outlook) that they aren't going to stop funding the military even though it's an incredible harmful industry to the environment since they need to deal with the result of climate change. which means that given the chance they will definitely massacre migrants directly.

Johnny Foreigner

Quote from: flotemysost on November 21, 2021, 06:01:27 PMBit harsh, they're a great poster.

Much appreciated, but I am just one person, and without a cervix. Somehow, it still sounds awry to me to refer to one person as they, because of complex-grammar-in-other-languages-than-English-and-stuff. (For it is he, etc.)

chveik

Johnny Foreigner

Because I am a Restoration Man.

Eux, il/elle était un homme de la Restauration, ce qui fut toujours leur ambition.

flotemysost

Yeah, just didn't want to assume (obviously I meant "they" in the "neutral/undisclosed" sense).

Quote from: chveik on November 21, 2021, 07:25:53 PMit's been clearly said by the US government during the COP26 (and i assume the UK, being their vassal, has the same outlook) that they aren't going to stop funding the military even though it's an incredible harmful industry to the environment since they need to deal with the result of climate change. which means that given the chance they will definitely massacre migrants directly.

This is pretty horrifying. Entire nations will likely be displaced in the near future by the climate change we're currently facilitating and hastening? No problemo, just mince the cunts