News:

It's still under construction, so please bear with me


Chinese takeaway - do you always get the same?

Started by Barry Admin, November 20, 2021, 05:40:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Always the same?

Same dish for years
Alternate between a small number
Different every time

Barry Admin

Gonna maybe treat myself and dunno whether to get the usual honey or chilli salted chicken/beef.

monkfromhavana

I didn't have my first Chinese takeaway until...last year I'd say. Always at the very bottom of the takeaway league table. If we have it now, tend to have beef chow mein, which is nice, but can't say it blows my mind. I remember everyone years ago banging on about how chips from the Chinese takeaway were amazing which I could never quite get my head around. Got some with an order and they were dreadful.

It's just all so meh.

SpiderChrist

Always get mushroom chow mein with salt & pepper tofu. Problem is that all the chinese takeaways round here are fucking gash...

seepage

Usually the same:
Crispy Duck/Lamb to share, then:
Me:
Fried Salt & Pepper Duck things
Sweet & Sour Prawn Balls [don't touch the sauce]
Partner:
Mushroom Curry, Singapore Rice Noodle AND Chips

QDRPHNC

From a Chinese place I'll usually get the General Tso because I'm boring, along with egg rolls and maybe crispy beef.

From a Hakka place, the dry chili chicken is always the best thing.

And I recently discovered a new dim sum place near me that delivers fantastic deep fried squid, siu mai, har gow, BBQ pork buns.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse


Butchers Blind

Of course, in China it's just called 'takeaway'.

Poobum

Been ages since I've had Chinese takeaway but it was always crispy shredded chili chicken, beef udon, prawn crackers, and a litre of coke (pop you silly sod :D). That was 4 stone and loadsa running ago. 

bgmnts

Yup literally always been the same. Chow mein and fried rice. Not a huge fan of overpowering flavours.

Probably autism or some shit I'd be diagnosed with but not arsed really just like what I like.

Wonderful Butternut

Usually pick between:

Standard Order: Chicken Kung Po
Alternates: Cantonese Roast Duck
Beef Chow Mein
Want to feel my arteries being clogged by batter: Sweet & Sour Chicken Balls

The Chinese near me is very patchy though, so I don't go there that much. They're grand when they're not busy. But when they are busy they're liable to be shit.

Pimhole

Salt & pepper chicken. Someone once speculated that in the episode of Futurama with the "popplers", a delicious delicacy which turns out to be the unhatched eggs of a very war-hungry alien race but people still physically can't stop eating them to the point where the alien race goes extinct - salt & pepper chicken. I would agree with that.

Pink Gregory

Bean curd cashew nut with no white onion please

Mix vegetable rice noodle with no white onions please

Crispy seaweed with no fish powder please

chips

Emma Raducanu

My daughter's friend is Chinese and comes to our house with her mum fairly often. She always suggests getting Chinese. She orders in Chinese and always gets really good things I've not seen before. Last time we had lamb spines and aubergine and sea bream, broccoli and chilli. Otherwise I always get chicken Cashew nuts and pair it with something really spicy and egg fried rice. I always love the anticipation of the doorbell ringing and the Chinese arriving. I almost always wish I'd just cooked my own dinner. Same as with any other takeaway really.

Quote from: monkfromhavana on November 20, 2021, 05:44:47 PMI didn't have my first Chinese takeaway until...last year I'd say. Always at the very bottom of the takeaway league table. If we have it now, tend to have beef chow mein, which is nice, but can't say it blows my mind. I remember everyone years ago banging on about how chips from the Chinese takeaway were amazing which I could never quite get my head around. Got some with an order and they were dreadful.

It's just all so meh.

British style Chinese takeaway places, ie 95% of all places can be very hit and miss, but if you manaage to find a more traiditonal place, like the amazong SoJo in Oxford (was) then it's some of the best cusine in the world.

Anyway re the chips, garlic and chilly chips are nice, was it those that you had?

flotemysost

I'm lucky to live near an embarrassment of Chinese restaurants, including some that do Northern recipes as well as the Cantonese style (AFAIK anyway) dishes that seem to be more standard in UK takeaways. Love the almost anaesthetic aniseed burn of Dan Dan Noodles, but I'm equally happy with a greasy luminous tangle of Singapore vermicelli from any old place. With some discs of crustacean-flavoured polystyrene on the side.

When I go out I tend to be more adventurous in general - takeaway for me is more of a rare solo treat, so regardless of cuisine I'm more likely to stick to the comforting old faithfuls, the cheugy choices.

There's a Chinese restaurant near me called After Taste, which I always thought sounded hilariously offputting but it's always a full house when I go past.

SweetPomPom

Same place but mix it up.
Hard to resist shredded duck pancakes tho, amazing.

Spent a week on the Yangtse going up to Chongqin in 2001 and the evening meal was catch of the day. Veered between amazing and absolute terror. Traditional apparently meant eat what you can, when you can.

Catalogue Trousers

Special Egg Foo Yung
Special Chow Mein
Special Fried Rice
Two fucking enormous Spring Rolls

get it down you sunshine

Glebe

Not had a Chinese for ages but it's normally just chicken with lemon sauce and boiled rice because I am a childishly picky eater.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: Mrs Wogans lemon drizzle on November 20, 2021, 06:49:41 PMBritish style Chinese takeaway places, ie 95% of all places can be very hit and miss, but if you manaage to find a more traiditonal place, like the amazong SoJo in Oxford (was) then it's some of the best cusine in the world.

Anyway re the chips, garlic and chilly chips are nice, was it those that you had?

Standard chips, my reasoning being that if they were shit, no type of seasoning would rectify them.

pigamus

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 20, 2021, 06:45:59 PMI always love the anticipation of the doorbell ringing and the Chinese arriving. I almost always wish I'd just cooked my own dinner. Same as with any other takeaway really.

ARE YOU MENTAL

Sebastian Cobb

Nah, I have several different go-to's.

Chicken Curry
Special Fried rice with curry sauce instead of bbq
That crispy chilli beef stuff

Always get prawn toast though.

paruses

Quote from: SpiderChrist on November 20, 2021, 05:45:53 PMAlways get mushroom chow mein with salt & pepper tofu. Problem is that all the chinese takeaways round here are fucking gash...

Same but adding chilli-salted prawns into the rotation (the rotation being slightly shorter than HALLEY'S comet).

Also like crispy seaweed and prawn crackers and vegetarian spring rolls if I am feeling flush.

Not a takeaway but I saw that Y Ming in Soho has closed. Haven't been for years but really liked it Of course in Wales it's called The Ming.

icehaven

Depends on whether or not they do a separate black bean sauce. If they do great, it's that and chicken fried rice. If not it's freefall, anything from chicken and green pepper in a black bean sauce to something else with black bean sauce and I take it from there. I like black bean sauce.

SpiderChrist

Quote from: DolphinFace on November 20, 2021, 06:45:59 PMMy daughter's friend is Chinese and comes to our house with her mum fairly often. She always suggests getting Chinese. She orders in Chinese and always gets really good things I've not seen before. Last time we had lamb spines and aubergine and sea bream, broccoli and chilli. Otherwise I always get chicken Cashew nuts and pair it with something really spicy and egg fried rice. I always love the anticipation of the doorbell ringing and the Chinese arriving. I almost always wish I'd just cooked my own dinner. Same as with any other takeaway really.

I was hoping that was a typo but I guess not.

Johnny Foreigner


Ferris

Deep fried chicken balls and that luminous orange plum sauce.

Hard to see past that I'm afraid.

Dex Sawash

New place; will try a new thing until that place's thing is settled on. Then pretty much that thing at that place only. The one near home I get homestyle tofu with no corn foetuses please. The one near work I get Genghis Khan Tofu. Brown rice both places.

Chinese places have mostly been replaced by Mexican places here so not so many choices now (aside from grim steam table strip mall pan-asian hell holes)

pigamus

Quote from: Pink Gregory on November 20, 2021, 06:45:02 PMBean curd cashew nut with no white onion please

Mix vegetable rice noodle with no white onions please

Crispy seaweed with no fish powder please

chips

Far too important to tolerate onions

Sebastian Cobb

i realise this is a takeaway thread but the canned mock duck you can get in the supermarkets is great, just need to chop it up a bit and fry it, add spring onions and a bit of watered down hoisin and shove in pancakes.

thenoise

I've had proper Chinese food a handful times but its all cheap n cheerful takeaways round here,1980s decor and a shop consisting of a counter you can barely see over and nowhere to sit while you wait and nothing to read but the takeaway menu and yesterday's copy of the Express of all things (a paper i haven't seen outside of a takeaway since the 90s).

I have a selection of:
The vegetarian noodle option
The vegetarian egg fried rice option
And maybe one of them Chinese omelette if they do one.
And veg mini spring rolls and sweet chilli sauce, I know they buy them in frozen and they are the same everywhere but they really hit the mark.