Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 01:09:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Petite Maman - new one from Céline Sciamma

Started by non capisco, November 20, 2021, 09:25:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

non capisco

I thought this was utterly wonderful. The premise of
Spoiler alert
a young girl visiting her mother's childhood home after the death of her grandmother and possibly meeting and befriending her own mother as a child in the woods
[close]
really did an emotional number on me, it's magical realism done exceptionally effectively. It reminded me of things like Graham Greene's short story 'Under The Garden' and Antonia Barber's 'The Ghosts' as much as any other film. I can't recommend this one highly enough. And, hey, this might sway ya - it's only 70 minutes long.

jobotic

Just heard Kermode on about this, sounds very good.

non capisco

He nearly choked up and started weeping at the end of his review on the show he does with Mayo just remembering the film. I'm with him on this occasion, it's one of them.

Small Man Big Horse

I loved Portrait Of A Lady On Fire so perhaps it's due to really high expectations, but I didn't like it quite as much as you. It is a very sweet, charming and quite lovely film, but I couldn't help but feel it was also a little slight, at 72 minutes long it could have been fleshed out a tiny bit more. That said it's something I'd definitely recommend others watch it, and many loved it a lot more than me, so perhaps I'm in the wrong here. 7.4/10

Exposition

I'm really looking forward to seeing it, Sciamma has always been great.

zomgmouse

I really really really loved this. I think it's the best film of the most recent three that I've seen of hers. As non capisco says the magical realism blended with enormous emotion truly makes this something very very special. Absolutely enamoured with this. Beautifully heart-tugging.

holyzombiejesus

Just bought a ticket to see this on Thursday night. Really looking forward to it. 75 minutes long!

peanutbutter

Quote from: holyzombiejesus on December 14, 2021, 09:26:33 AMJust bought a ticket to see this on Thursday night. Really looking forward to it. 75 minutes long!
oh damn, I didn't like her last film at all but suddenly I'm very interested in this one!

shoulders

Parents won't shut up about it so should try to see this soon.

El Unicornio, mang

This is a really nice little film. After seeing this and Portrait of a Lady on Fire, Céline Sciamma is definitely one of my favourite current writers/directors. Some saying that the boat/music scene didn't work as it feels too different from the rest of the film, but I felt it benefitted from that moment of release after all the quiet subdued scenes. Rare to see a film like this which is suitable for the whole family, and the two children were delightful and never annoying (also no mean feat).