Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 07:32:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

IMAX

Started by Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth, November 21, 2021, 01:02:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

notjosh

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 23, 2021, 12:51:34 AMThe problem comes when cinemas are forced to cut corners and have massive issues with projection/audio, which makes it a far less worthwhile experience.

Basically no point going to anything other than IMAX or 4DX Super Mega Extreme XX or whatever system the cinema has that guarantees some level of quality control. Any other screen you're stuck with a soft-focus image projected by a 40W bulb.

buzby

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on November 23, 2021, 02:30:43 AMThey proper Imax in Glasgow at the Science Centre never reopened after the Covid lockdown and it still boils my piss.

I remember seeing my first ever film there and being overwhelmed by the clarity and sound. Even the most mundane scenes were a joy to see.

The second rocket launch sequence from the Hubble film was the most incredible thing I've ever experienced in a cinema, the sound was outrageous. Came out in a daze and almost everyone we passed was waxing lyrical about the bit.

For that 60 seconds alone, Imax has a special place in my heart.
Cienworld bought it from the GSC in 2013 and used the Covid lockdown as a handy excuse to surrender the lease on the site. It did have it's 15/70 film projector decommissioned after they took it over, and since then has only been a 4K IMAX Digital theatre. The Science Museum IMAX theatre in London has not yet reopened either.

Replies From View

Quote from: Noodle Lizard on November 23, 2021, 12:51:34 AMI honestly dread the day where films are produced only with the ultimate destination of "streaming" in mind.

Oh man that would be so great

Blinder Data

I can't speak for the "inferior" multiplex version because I've only been to "proper" IMAXes: Printworks and Glasgow Science Centre. Seeing Gravity at the latter was one of my best experiences in a cinema - my tummy went woo-woo when the camera shifted.

It's such an amazing facility, it would be awful to lose it. Maybe Glasgow Film Theatre can stop fannying about with tiny screens and make a bid for it. Imagine, Tokyo Story at the IMAX...!

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 23, 2021, 02:05:09 PMI can't speak for the "inferior" multiplex version because I've only been to "proper" IMAXes: Printworks and Glasgow Science Centre. Seeing Gravity at the latter was one of my best experiences in a cinema - my tummy went woo-woo when the camera shifted.

It's such an amazing facility, it would be awful to lose it. Maybe Glasgow Film Theatre can stop fannying about with tiny screens and make a bid for it. Imagine, Tokyo Story at the IMAX...!

The sentiment behind that idea is admirable, but I think the GFT is too inexorably linked with the Rose St cinema. It's also the only old school cinema in Glasgow AFAIK.

Interesting insight regarding the decommissioning of the proper projector in the Science Centre Imax. I know they were still showing the standard 40 minute educational Imax films up until it closed, but that was mostly during the day, with the blockbuster movies at night.

buzby

Quote from: Blinder Data on November 23, 2021, 02:05:09 PMI can't speak for the "inferior" multiplex version because I've only been to "proper" IMAXes: Printworks and Glasgow Science Centre. Seeing Gravity at the latter was one of my best experiences in a cinema - my tummy went woo-woo when the camera shifted.
If you saw Gravity at an IMAX it was in IMAX Digital as they never did a 15/70 print of it (or any type of print). Also the 3D version will have been in 2K resolution (IMAX 3D uses 2 2K projectors).

Quote from: Cuntbeaks on November 23, 2021, 02:39:47 PMInteresting insight regarding the decommissioning of the proper projector in the Science Centre Imax. I know they were still showing the standard 40 minute educational Imax films up until it closed, but that was mostly during the day, with the blockbuster movies at night.
The educational shorts are available in DCP format for IMAX Digital systems. Here's a tweet from Cineworld from November 2013 confirming the film projector had been removed.

Cuntbeaks

Quote from: buzby on November 23, 2021, 02:56:30 PMThe educational shorts are available in DCP format for IMAX Digital systems. Here's a tweet from Cineworld from November 2013 confirming the film projector had been removed.

Really hate the cheery aspect of that tweet. Fuck off Cineworld.

Replies From View

Hi guys, yeah would just like to confirm we've taken out all the vintage seats and replaced them with all modern ones 👍