News:

Please let me know of any new bugs or issues in GB, thanks for your patience


Adele shuffles off

Started by shiftwork2, November 21, 2021, 04:14:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JaDanketies

I'd reckon of all the Adele singles I've heard, Skyfall, which was a Bond theme, is the 'best'. But the biggest earworm is Hello, which I would be surprised if Dr Rock hadn't accidentally heard a bunch of times.

Dr Rock


SteveDave

The only one I like is "Rumour Has It" apart from the slow bit in the middle. I've edited that out of the version I've got on my iPod.

sevendaughters

new album a Stygian act of self-justification bellowed at every conceivable opportunity, you couldn't CGI a mountain big enough for Adele to sing this one off. awful record.

Butchers Blind

She can sing but would anyone put her albums on their best list.


icehaven

Am I missing something with her, is she some kind of messiah or something? I mean obviously she's not my kind of music at all but even leaving that aside she's still just some bog standard OTT warbler but the way she's portrayed in the media is as if she's literally the second coming, it's bizarre. I know it's just the hype machine but come on, it's getting embarrassing.

Greg Torso

If you're an artist I don't think you have a right to try and dictate how people consume your product, especially if you make pop music. People have been listening to things on shuffle since CDs were a thing. It doesn't matter. An album isn't a novel or a film, no matter how preciously you try and dress it up as a journey that must be followed from this point to that point.* If you want to set it out as a chunk of fixed unnegotiable "ART" then mix it into one long track, and then people can't so easily skip to the pub talent contest level dreary power ballad they bought it for.

* (damn can't do footnotes anymore) Maybe comparable would be say if I published a book of poems, I might want you to read it in the order it's set in but nothing would be lost by you skipping around however you like, and it's not for me to demand you don't do that.

sevendaughters

this is the victory of poptimism and the vandalism of critique. you don't get snobby gatekeepers anymore but you have to accept that what will be put in front of your eyes and ears is predicated on who is best positioned to get it there.

sevendaughters

Quote from: Greg Torso on November 22, 2021, 11:32:53 AMIf you're an artist I don't think you have a right to try and dictate how people consume your product, especially if you make pop music. People have been listening to things on shuffle since CDs were a thing. It doesn't matter. An album isn't a novel or a film, no matter how preciously you try and dress it up as a journey that must be followed from this point to that point.* If you want to set it out as a chunk of fixed unnegotiable "ART" then mix it into one long track, and then people can't so easily skip to the pub talent contest level dreary power ballad they bought it for.

* (damn can't do footnotes anymore) Maybe comparable would be say if I published a book of poems, I might want you to read it in the order it's set in but nothing would be lost by you skipping around however you like, and it's not for me to demand you don't do that.

you're right, but stan culture will uphold this as a victory for the queen and dutifully fall in line

Greg Torso

. oops not used to the new system yet

Greg Torso

Quote from: Goldentony on November 22, 2021, 07:11:34 AMmichael jackson sleeping in an oxygen chamber style wind up/publicity for the album

Yeah just more free marketing from the BBC

JaDanketies

Quote from: icehaven on November 22, 2021, 11:28:15 AMstill just some bog standard OTT warbler

Quote from: Greg Torso on November 22, 2021, 11:32:53 AMpub talent contest level dreary power ballad

Who do you guys think is a good female singer then? Even my favourite female singers would have to admit that Adele has some pipes.

Butchers Blind

£90 - £500 to 'see' her in Hyde Park. Shut up and play the hits.

The Mollusk

Quote from: icehaven on November 22, 2021, 11:28:15 AMAm I missing something with her, is she some kind of messiah or something? I mean obviously she's not my kind of music at all but even leaving that aside she's still just some bog standard OTT warbler but the way she's portrayed in the media is as if she's literally the second coming, it's bizarre. I know it's just the hype machine but come on, it's getting embarrassing.

Yeah just to clarify I don't see her in that light at all, and whilst her success in the age of megahype doesn't particularly surprise me I do find it weird that she's deified to such a ludicrous degree.

I like Rumour Has It and the
Jamie XX mix of Rolling In The Deep
[close]
- the rest can do one.

DrGreggles

Quote from: JaDanketies on November 22, 2021, 11:41:22 AMWho do you guys think is a good female singer then? Even my favourite female singers would have to admit that Adele has some pipes.

You can be the best singer in the world, but it doesn't mean a thing if the songs you're singing are shit.

monkfromhavana

Quote from: DrGreggles on November 22, 2021, 12:27:30 PMYou can be the best singer in the world, but it doesn't mean a thing if the songs you're singing are shit.

This. I have no beef with Adele, but it's just dreary ballads about finding / losing love all done exactly the same way to make people who don't really like music feel like they like 'music' instead of their normal jigging about to Black Eyed Peas on Heart FM.

I remember hearing that eminem has a wider vocal range than adele, or something like that. Is that true?
Ha, looks like it's true! - https://www.concerthotels.com/worlds-greatest-vocal-ranges

Quote from: Rev+ on November 21, 2021, 08:53:26 PMExcept for listeners in the UK, because there was some sort of mastering fuck-up with the CD and Fingertips was just one track.

Oh, is that right? I think I I bought John Henry and my friend bought Apollo 18 and we taped them for each other, we'd do that with bands we both liked to save a bit of money. This was in the days before you could just turn on a compooper and steal the universe.

Retinend

Quote from: The Mollusk on November 21, 2021, 04:40:26 PMWhat about if there's an album like "Naked Lunch" where the artist intended for it to be listened to in whatever order the listener saw fit?

Do you mean B.S. Johnson's The Unfortunates? Naked Lunch was written that way but not presented that way.

Petey Pate

Whenever I stream The Return Of The Durutti Column I make sure my hard drive gets slightly damaged each time to make up for the lack of a sandpaper sleeve.

An tSaoi

An old tag on here once described Adele as "music for thick people's funerals". I can't shake remembering that line every time she comes up.

Pauline Walnuts


Twit 2

Music for people who don't like music, really. She took a long break, didn't she? Laugh if when she tried coming back everyone was like nah. Seven copies sold and she has to work on the tills in B&M till she's 67.

kalowski

Quote from: the science eel on November 22, 2021, 12:03:49 AM'Fuck Off, Then' is her best. She doesn't so much sing it as sigh it
Is that a real song? (I know I could look that up, but I don't want to. It seems like a childishly "provacative" title to me)

rue the polywhirl

Liked this album more than I thought I would although no one song really stands out. Lacks a stand-out song that even her last album had, namely the first song Hello. The anti-shuffle ethos stands out as a shining oddity considering that the new album has no order or sense of sequence and that all the songs can be enjoyed equally as much in any order.

The Culture Bunker

Much like with Ed Sheeran, I find her popularity a bit baffling as the songs float right past me like some featureless gas. I know I've heard some of them, but I've zero memory of how they go. I saw a trailer of her doing some "An Audience With..." type thing just the other day, and all I can remember is seeing Samuel L Jackson. It's not that I find it 'bad' or whatever, just... it doesn't seem to sink in at all.

I suppose the lad from Semisonic never needs worry about money again because of her, so there's that much in her favour.

peanutbutter

I think she's just deliberately milking it to saturation point this time round and has no real intention of doing anything again for maybe a decade.

Either that or people are struggling to grasp that someone not releasing anything for 6 years alone isn't enough to warrant this level of comeback coverage. Feels like she never really went away, right? Has she actually been quiet for that patch?

Rev+

The one thing I'll say for her is that she has a very surprising stage presence, on the evidence of a bit of a live show I saw a while back.  She's a combination of Peter Kay and Vera Lynn.  Running about the stage, 'ey oop, that lot over there are a bit miserable, we got more smiles on this side?  C'mon missus, give us a chuckle' between dreary ballads.

amateur

The shuffle thing is weird - whenever you load an album on Spotify, it has a big green PLAY button at the top (which used to shuffle) but I've never once used it.

I always hit play on the first track of the album itself - like I would have in WMP or MusicMatch Jukebox or whatever other programmes I had. Have clearly got out of the habit of clicking on "play" buttons.

Used to have an iRiver MP3 player that had a "stop" button on it, might have been the last generation to have one of those. No real need for it to have that, no mechanical parts that needed to be released, but I imagine they thought people coming from physical media might have been freaked out were it not there.