Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 11:07:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021/2022: All Thread Everything

Started by madhair60, November 22, 2021, 08:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Psybro

The Bunny has been injured for a while which explains why AEW haven't been able to capitalise on the ratings since she ran Roman off TV.

Old Thrashbarg

I feel like they do mostly give enough background for someone not familiar with the other companies to know who someone is, who they're allied with and who they're feuding with. Even if that's just Excalibur giving a quick rundown. We don't need to know the full detail of the last year's story; it's enough to know that A dislikes B because C and in the world of pro wrestling that means they're going to fight. And for those who either already have put in the time or those who are willing to, there's more depth there to be delved into.

It has felt a bit different this time because there are so many different faces showing up from NJPW, but as someone who doesn't watch that and doesn't know the current stories, I've not felt like I've been left scratching my head wondering what's going on.

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 22, 2022, 08:36:33 PMWWE already provides the simple stories that exist within a bubble that don't require too much brain power.

Brain power? It's not the fucking Wire. It isn't some storytelling masterplan in action, they just aren't always good at hitting the important points, or even having important points.

That Cody Rhodes thing went on for an age with people saying it was a subtle  masterclass in modern day no heel/ no face wrestling. Was it bollocks, they had no clue what they were doing.

AEW is far better than WWE but it has flaws: you can rightly slag off WWE but at its peak it did stories better than AWE ever has (although that was a long time ago now).

They also need to lay off the belts, there is no need for this Atlantic thing and leave ROH off Dynamite.

Spode

I still think they suffer from (this month excluded) the time between PPVs. Storylines just meander for too long without a pay off, waiting for the big show.

This Jericho thing is a prime example. Looked like a feud with Kingston and has just drifted around aimlessly with too many other people involved and is now at blood and guts.

Buffalo Many Times

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 22, 2022, 09:16:29 PMWe don't need to know the full detail of the last year's story; it's enough to know that A dislikes B because C and in the world of pro wrestling that means they're going to fight.

That would be fine, that's basic, solid storytelling. But AEW have a tendency to introduce A disliking B because of C, then get sidetracked by D getting involved and having a go at A, forming an alliance with B, leading to E, F and G to jump in, so A needs to fight E,F and G, with the backing of H and I (and briefly J before a legit injury removes him from the storyline) before finally taking out D and getting us back to A and B finally going at it - by which point no fucker remembers what C was originally or cares why anyone is fighting. Yes, A vs B then did get 4 and half stars, and maybe that's enough, but it's still poor story-telling and it is a shame that they don't put a little more effort into addressing that.

BeardFaceMan

Overbooking is a definite problem AEW has, not every story and match needs all the bells and whistles thrown at it. Still unsure as to why Jericho and Ortiz had that hair v hair match, why either man was afraid of losing their hair (turns out they weren't) and why we should give a fuck either way. And I know they have had one or two long-running storylines so let's get that out of the way first, but they do have a tendency to speed through their angles, they could do with just simplifying and slowing down a bit.

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: Buffalo Many Times on June 22, 2022, 10:02:31 PMThat would be fine, that's basic, solid storytelling. But AEW have a tendency to introduce A disliking B because of C, then get sidetracked by D getting involved and having a go at A, forming an alliance with B, leading to E, F and G to jump in, so A needs to fight E,F and G, with the backing of H and I (and briefly J before a legit injury removes him from the storyline) before finally taking out D and getting us back to A and B finally going at it - by which point no fucker remembers what C was originally or cares why anyone is fighting. Yes, A vs B then did get 4 and half stars, and maybe that's enough, but it's still poor story-telling and it is a shame that they don't put a little more effort into addressing that.

Oh yeah, I'd agree that the storytelling has, certainly over the last few months, become convoluted for much of the roster. I think that's probably in large part down to the size of the roster now and trying to keep so many wrestlers on TV regularly enough.

I meant more specifically the introduction of NJPW wrestlers for the upcoming PPV, I think they've done a reasonable job of introducing the new faces and their motivations.

BeardFaceMan

I wonder how excited the NJPW fans who are not that familiar with AEW feel about all this Forbidden Door stuff? I imagine it's a bit different for them as a lot of people in AEW have wrestled in NJPW so they're not new faces, but the lion's share of this stuff does seem to be taking place on AEW TV.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Wentworth Smith on June 22, 2022, 09:23:48 PMBrain power? It's not the fucking Wire. It isn't some storytelling masterplan in action, they just aren't always good at hitting the important points, or even having important points.

That Cody Rhodes thing went on for an age with people saying it was a subtle  masterclass in modern day no heel/ no face wrestling. Was it bollocks, they had no clue what they were doing.

AEW is far better than WWE but it has flaws: you can rightly slag off WWE but at its peak it did stories better than AWE ever has (although that was a long time ago now).

They also need to lay off the belts, there is no need for this Atlantic thing and leave ROH off Dynamite.

Has about as many characters as The Wire, haha. But yeah, brain power was probably the wrong term. But I mean requires a bit more attention and outside knowledge than the average WWE story.

But hey, maybe sexy NXT is the way to go, seeing as it's finally seeing its ratings go up and had its first Top 10 finish in months last night.

Quote from: Buffalo Many Times on June 22, 2022, 10:02:31 PMThat would be fine, that's basic, solid storytelling. But AEW have a tendency to introduce A disliking B because of C, then get sidetracked by D getting involved and having a go at A, forming an alliance with B, leading to E, F and G to jump in, so A needs to fight E,F and G, with the backing of H and I (and briefly J before a legit injury removes him from the storyline) before finally taking out D and getting us back to A and B finally going at it - by which point no fucker remembers what C was originally or cares why anyone is fighting. Yes, A vs B then did get 4 and half stars, and maybe that's enough, but it's still poor story-telling and it is a shame that they don't put a little more effort into addressing that.

On this point, I think that's to avoid the WWE trope of constant rematches. Introducing other people into the feuds and having the roster interact means they can do fresh matches each week while still playing into the larger feud. Rather than say, like, Becky and Asuka having had 7 one-on-one matches over the past couple of months.

I do agree it can sometimes get too convoluted though. That JAS/Mox/Tana segment being a prime example last week of too much going on. Again, I get that things got thrown for a loop with Punk and Bryan out, and need to build for B&G at the same time as Mox v Tana. But I think it would have been better handled in two separate segments.

I'm not sure what the alternative is though for doing a more simplified feud without having them wrestle each other every week. You could have them barely wrestle like MJF and carry the feuds in weekly promos, but I don't think everyone can do that nor should they, as people would probably get annoyed with that too.

Ja'moke

I'll give you this though, the just announced match of Hangman vs Silas Young makes no sense.

Gurke and Hare

Jeez, at this point I don't think they should be saying "Trust us, it'll be someone good" and then having another walk-in who only the hardcore know.

Gurke and Hare

They should just get Mox to put every match over.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 23, 2022, 01:11:35 AMJeez, at this point I don't think they should be saying "Trust us, it'll be someone good" and then having another walk-in who only the hardcore know.

Probably Cesaro or Gargano.

Ja'moke

Aussie Open are great.

Man what a pop for FTR. I love how over they are as babyfaces.

Ja'moke

Ja'moke

Ok sorry about what I said about Silas Young. He's ace, haha.

Gurke and Hare

He's good, but you're right that it's a weird booking - there's no reason to bring a random in for this match. They've got plenty of midcarders on the roster who could have filled that role.

Ja'moke

Mobius

Gurke and Hare

Ja'moke

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mobius on June 23, 2022, 02:18:03 AMBUT WHO IS HE AND WHY SHOULD WE CARE!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

The crowd wasn't chanting OKADA they were chanting WHO ARE YA?

Ja'moke

Shingo and Hiromu on the card too! Would have been nice to see them in singles matches but I'll take a badass multi man.

Mobius

Dudes With Attitudes is my new favourite stable

Ja'moke

Waiting until the very last Dynamite to announce almost every exciting name on the card was certainly a choice

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 22, 2022, 10:28:11 PMI wonder how excited the NJPW fans who are not that familiar with AEW feel about all this Forbidden Door stuff? I imagine it's a bit different for them as a lot of people in AEW have wrestled in NJPW so they're not new faces, but the lion's share of this stuff does seem to be taking place on AEW TV.

got to be relief to see them in front of crowds who are allowed to react if nothing else. Certainly seems to be the case for the wrestlers anyway

Spiteface

Quote from: Gurke and Hare on June 23, 2022, 02:21:27 AMThis Stokely guy is great.

I'm glad he's managing Jade now. I never thought Mark Sterling did anything for Jade's act.

I do like her and the "baddies" as a stable though.

letsgobrian

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 22, 2022, 10:28:11 PMI wonder how excited the NJPW fans who are not that familiar with AEW feel about all this Forbidden Door stuff? I imagine it's a bit different for them as a lot of people in AEW have wrestled in NJPW so they're not new faces, but the lion's share of this stuff does seem to be taking place on AEW TV.

AEW Dynamite and Rampage air on New Japan World in Japan both in English and with New Japan wrestlers doing Japanese commentary, so if you're a New Japan fan and want to consume an inordinate amount of professional wrestling you're covered on that front.

I think promotion in Japan was missing an AEW star showing up at Dominion to challenge one of the New Japan stars. Which I guess should have been Andrade before CMLL stuck their oar in and nixed participation of all the Mexican wrestlers who they hold a grudge against.

Certainly an Andrade/Rush/Dragon Lee vs United Empire feud would have been more novel than Orange & Roppongi Vice. And potentially have teased a Los Ingobernables reunion with Naito down the line.

petril

Quote from: Stone Cold Steve Austin on June 23, 2022, 04:20:47 AMWaiting until the very last Dynamite to announce almost every exciting name on the card was certainly a choice

I know they do a lot of nods to WCW, but I think that's taking the piss a bit

Ja'moke

I'm wondering if Okada's involvement was up in the air until this week.