Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,578,475
  • Total Topics: 106,671
  • Online Today: 1,086
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 03:40:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Wrestling 2021/2022: All Thread Everything

Started by madhair60, November 22, 2021, 08:51:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 23, 2022, 02:59:59 PMI'm wondering if Okada's involvement was up in the air until this week.

The story about his wife's childbirth being due this week was untrue. It's due in August, I think. But she did have a birthday and he obviously didn't want to miss it, especially with her being so heavily pregnant.

I suspect it was always going to happen, but New Japan were being tricky about what match they'd let him be booked in, as he's their crown jewel.

Magnum Valentino

What match IS he booked in? I've not been following.

Deanjam

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 23, 2022, 03:54:12 PMWhat match IS he booked in? I've not been following.

Jay White vs Okada vs Hangman vs Adam Cole.

Deanjam

This is the full card for anyone who hasn't seen it. It's been a disappointing build, and injuries have taken some of the potential dream matches away, but it still looks a quality card.

Magnum Valentino

Le Sex Gods.

Chris, why don't you fuck off?

Deanjam

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 23, 2022, 01:12:53 AMProbably Cesaro or Gargano.

Cesaro would fit BCC better than Gargano for me. Timothy Thatcher would be a great fit too.

Deanjam

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on June 23, 2022, 04:51:13 PMLe Sex Gods.

Chris, why don't you fuck off?

Jericho is dead to me since he won that hair vs hair match.

Gurke and Hare

To be fair, they've been called that pretty much since Dynamite started.

Magnum Valentino

Jericho not losing his hair and the entrance singalong is really upsetting the part of me that idolised him for forfeiting all that merch money when he comitted so much to being a heel he refused to sign off on any.

Maybe it's still to come, though. He has a good enough claim at several points in his career at being the best of all time, and that's earned a certain amount of faith from me.

But he's pushing it.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Deanjam on June 23, 2022, 04:52:28 PMCesaro would fit BCC better than Gargano for me. Timothy Thatcher would be a great fit too.

Yeah, I think it has to be Cesaro. He has the connection to Bryan (they were paired up in Bryan's last story before he left WWE even) and also has beef with Eddie, so it works on both levels (Bryan mentioned Eddie in the promo last night). Plus he's someone that can fulfill that technical wrestler promise.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Mobius on June 23, 2022, 02:18:03 AMBUT WHO IS HE AND WHY SHOULD WE CARE!!!!!!!!!1111111111111

For me, the ZSJ/Bryan segment highlighted the problems with the Okada one. Bryan talked up ZSJ as a threat, as one of the greatest ever technical wrestlers so now there is a reason for them to have a fight, just that small little thing and I'm already invested in a match featuring a guy I know next to nothing about. Contrast that with Okada who came out with no fanfare, no explanation and was put into a match seemingly at that last minute just for the fuck of it, no reason for him to be there other than "IT'S OKADA AND I NOW CARE!!!!!!!!!111111111".  I'm sure it will be a 5 star match and all the rest of it, but I'm not excited about it or invested in it at all.

Old Thrashbarg

But the commentators did put over Okada and the reason for him being there. The titles he'd won, White taking the title that's on the line off Okada (which Hangman mentioned last week), him being a top 5/10/whatever all time guy, etc.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Old Thrashbarg on June 23, 2022, 07:12:31 PMBut the commentators did put over Okada and the reason for him being there. The titles he'd won, White taking the title that's on the line off Okada (which Hangman mentioned last week), him being a top 5/10/whatever all time guy, etc.

Yep, commentary put him over huge and mentioned his accomplishments. Plus, as you said, Hangman also talked about him previously. Also, it's fucking Okada!

Deanjam

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Ja'moke on June 23, 2022, 07:56:39 PMAlso, it's fucking Okada!

Thank you for highlighting my point so succinctly.

Quote from: Deanjam on June 23, 2022, 09:58:13 PMHe's going to die, isn't he.

Is there anyone that actually wants to see this?

Old Thrashbarg

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 23, 2022, 10:42:52 PMThank you for highlighting my point so succinctly.

Well no, your point was

Quote from: BeardFaceMan on June 23, 2022, 05:41:22 PMwith Okada who came out with no fanfare, no explanation and was put into a match seemingly at that last minute just for the fuck of it, no reason for him to be there other than "IT'S OKADA AND I NOW CARE!!!!!!!!!111111111".

which just isn't true.

Mobius

Ishii is injured so out of Forbidden Door, which really sucks. Replaced by Clark Connors, which isn't too exciting.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Mobius on June 24, 2022, 12:20:20 AMIshii is injured so out of Forbidden Door, which really sucks. Replaced by Clark Connors, which isn't too exciting.

This card is cursed.

madhair60

anyone who likes wrestling knows who okada is.

Buffalo Many Times

I thought that was a brilliant episode, but the best bit of it had absolutely nothing to do with Forbidden Door (Christian's promo).

I'll be watching the PPV, but can't say I'm particularly enthused about it and that is principally because I don't follow NJPW. I know a few of the names, I've heard the acclaim, but as someone who pretty much exclusively watches AEW I can hand on heart say there's about twelve people who only get featured on Dark I'd rather see on Dynamite than Okada or Tanahashi. I'm acutely aware I'm very much in the minority with that view though and if I'd watched a match or two on You Tube I would likely be salivating at the prospect of them being on the show. It is lovely to see how excited the crowds are when these various random lads wander out; I completely get why it's a big deal to a lot of people and the argument that the name value alone of these guys has sufficient clout that the matches matter. But, I'm honestly looking forward to them getting this all over and done with. Maybe the PPV will convert me though.

Ja'moke

Quote from: Buffalo Many Times on June 24, 2022, 01:04:34 AMIt is lovely to see how excited the crowds are when these various random lads wander out; I completely get why it's a big deal to a lot of people and the argument that the name value alone of these guys has sufficient clout that the matches matter. 

I think this is an important point. The crowd reactions add a lot. I remember Jericho debuting in WWF when I was a kid; I didn't watch WCW, so I had no idea who he was. But the crowd on Raw knew him and gave him an amazing reaction, so I was instantly drawn in.

The same thing when Tazz debuted at the Royal Rumble. I hadn't seen any ECW. But the New York crowd popped huge and so I was like, ok, this guy must be a big deal. Actually, that was what made me check out ECW for the first time.

BeardFaceMan

Quote from: Buffalo Many Times on June 24, 2022, 01:04:34 AMBut, I'm honestly looking forward to them getting this all over and done with.

Also an important point. I'm not saying it's not going to be amazing for people who know who all the wrestlers are, of course it is, but rather pointing out that's it's not so great when you don't know who everyone is. The promotion for this PPV has been awful and hasn't really done anything to excite people who are not also NJPW fans.

Quote from: Buffalo Many Times on June 24, 2022, 01:04:34 AMI thought that was a brilliant episode, but the best bit of it had absolutely nothing to do with Forbidden Door (Christian's promo).

Agreed on that, very much looking forward to some proper heeling from Christian.

Ja'moke

QuoteWON - AEW is going to have heavy involvement with Shark Week on the Discovery channel. There have been a lot of promos for it that have already been filmed and they plan on doing a gimmick match that week - it begins July 24th.

Luchasaurus versus a shark, please.

Or, more realistically, Jade vs Athena with Stokely locked in a shark cage.

Deanjam

Cunt Kane strikes again. Can't wait for replies from Mick Foley and Sean Waltman saying how disappointed they are again.

Ja'moke

Rosemary called him a literal piece of shit.

Magnum Valentino

Ah would you ever just fuck off, Kane.

Deanjam

kitsofan34

Nice to see an AEW show end with a mass brawl this week on Rampage.