Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
  • Total Members: 17,819
  • Latest: Jeth
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,577,470
  • Total Topics: 106,658
  • Online Today: 781
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 04:52:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical Egg on Musical Face

Started by markburgle, January 08, 2022, 09:52:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I.D. Smith

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 09, 2022, 04:34:26 PMWho was the berk on here who thought Chevy Chase was Paul Simon? Everybody knows that his actual name is Al as he tells you as much during the video.

Not quite the same, but I did think at the time that Chevy Chase was Paul Simon's older brother. My young mind at the time figured a) they look a bit like each other b) one is bigger than the other, and c) they're doing a song together, i.e. the kind of thing brothers do together, therefore they must be brothers, with "Chevy" being the older one because he's taller.

SteveDave

NoSleep

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on January 10, 2022, 01:13:11 PMThis reminds me: In Four Weddings and a Funeral, one of the characters thinks U2 is a Russian submarine and is presented as a dim bulb for doing so. A U2 is an American aeroplane though, so it's not actually that big a mistake. If anyone has egg on their face, it should be Richard Curtis.

The band U2 chose their name for its ambiguity, so they weren't specifically named after the Lockheed U-2. The U-2 submarine was a German U-boat that was sunk near Pallau (now Baltiysk, Russia) in 1944. So nobody gets out of this without an egging.

idunnosomename

ha it's Immigrant Song down a semitone. still a good sound tho

PaulTMA

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 09, 2022, 04:34:26 PMWho was the berk on here who thought Chevy Chase was Paul Simon? Everybody knows that his actual name is Al as he tells you as much during the video.

I was definitely one of them but for people born circa 1981 it's not such a massive stretch to make such a mistake (and not uncommon either).  I can remember the confusion upon seeing The Obvious Child video a few years later

First time I bought a grown-ups monthly music mag there was an article on Richard Thompson and I thought he might have been the same guy as Dòtaman but in his plainclothes role as a folk guy.  You know, bit like the difference between Neil Innes in Puddle Lane and reality

[/url]https://youtu.be/9GOj3Kj_74c?t=202[/url]

Brundle-Fly

I used to get Steely Dan and Steeleye Span mixed up.

PaulTMA

I remember seeing a band in Smash Hits who I thought were pronounced Cockatoo Twins

cosmic-hearse

For ages I thought The Psychedelic Furs were American, despite the singer's extremely pronounced English accent - I overthought it & assumed they were Bowie loving Anglophiles from New Jersey or someplace.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on January 10, 2022, 08:12:31 PMFor ages I thought The Psychedelic Furs were American, despite the singer's extremely pronounced English accent - I overthought it & assumed they were Bowie loving Anglophiles from New Jersey or someplace.
In your defence, for most of the 80s they had a higher profile in the States and even lived over there (still do, I think) with the core of the band (ie the Butler brothers) being supplemented by American musicians.

beanheadmcginty

It wasn't until adulthood that I discovered that the Only Fools and Horses theme tunes weren't sung by Rodney.

non capisco

Quote from: cosmic-hearse on January 10, 2022, 08:12:31 PMFor ages I thought The Psychedelic Furs were American, despite the singer's extremely pronounced English accent - I overthought it & assumed they were Bowie loving Anglophiles from New Jersey or someplace.

I thought exactly that until just now.

non capisco

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 10, 2022, 11:57:58 PMIt wasn't until adulthood that I discovered that the Only Fools and Horses theme tunes weren't sung by Rodney.

I thought it was "He's the one who's driving me berserk", referring to Del. Yeah, I know it says John Sullivan sings it in the end credits but I was too busy whiling out to the sick Hooky Street drum break.

imitationleather

Quote from: beanheadmcginty on January 10, 2022, 11:57:58 PMIt wasn't until adulthood that I discovered that the Only Fools and Horses theme tunes weren't sung by Rodney.

If it makes you feel any better, my Nan went to her grave thinking it was Rodney singing it.

Johnny Yesno

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 10, 2022, 03:32:29 PMI used to get Steely Dan and Steeleye Span mixed up.

Same.

Yes, I thought it was written by John Sullivan but Rodney sang it. Well, Terry sang the Minder theme, so why not?

JaDanketies

When I was 10 years old, I thought the lyrics to "Hit Me Baby One More Time" were 'Oh Bidum Bidum." I changed my opinion pretty sharpish but it became a running joke. Now that I listen to it, I figure the snare drum is louder than her voice, and it sounds like a consonant, more specifically a plosive phoneme. So there ya go, Rowley, I wish I had that explanation when I was 10.

I remember once saying to a guy called Kieran that "a great concert would be Choking Victim supporting Leftover Crack," and him being like "derrrr poser warning, they're pretty much the same fucking band, Choking Victim broke up and Leftover Crack formed," and me thinking, "that doesn't mean it wouldn't be a great concert." Never really liked that Kieran kid.

So much fucking bullshit about musical knowledge and poserness when I was an old teenager. I recall witnessing someone slagging someone else off because "they thought the Slayer song where Tom Araya repeats 'God Hates Us All' in the chorus was called God Hates Us All! That's the name of the album, the fucking wannabe, the song is called 'Disciple'."

This shit is particularly terrible in 'extreme' music and I kinda purposefully avoided identifying as a member of any specific subculture, perhaps as a direct result. Even nowadays, if I'm at a concert and a stranger asks me "who are you here to see?" or "what album is your favourite? What did you make of the new album?" I think, "fuck off with your fucking purity questions,"  when they might just be being nice and having a chat.

jobotic

Quote from: imitationleather on January 11, 2022, 10:47:55 AMIf it makes you feel any better, my Nan went to her grave thinking it was Rodney singing it.

Ha ha ha what an idiot!

Actually if I'd have gone to my grave a couple of years ago I'd have thought that too.

boki

Quote from: imitationleather on January 11, 2022, 10:47:55 AMIf it makes you feel any better, my Nan went to her grave thinking it was Rodney singing it.
Bit harsh to do her in over such a trivial misunderstanding, if you ask me.

Hex Triplet

It was only very, very recently that I learned that The Hollies were not in fact "Buddy Holly's backing band" :LOL

Famous Mortimer

I thought the popular Australian band's name was pronounced "Inkses" for quite a few years in my youth.

Sean Ymphs

Quote from: SweetPomPom on January 11, 2022, 03:40:55 PMAmazing vocals from Robert Smith compared to the rest of the album.

Laugh out loud

dr beat

One for the pop crazed youngsters - its 'oh what wow, he's the greatest dancer', not 'I wonder why...'

beanheadmcginty

For far too long I was under the mistaken impression that Harry Chapin's "Cats in the Cradle" was by Cat Stevens. Not helped by the song being mislabelled as such on Napster.

idunnosomename

Quote from: Hex Triplet on January 11, 2022, 04:33:23 PMIt was only very, very recently that I learned that The Hollies were not in fact "Buddy Holly's backing band" :LOL
yeah, they were Buddy Cricket's

JesusAndYourBush

Quote from: Famous Mortimer on January 11, 2022, 05:55:51 PMI thought the popular Australian band's name was pronounced "Inkses" for quite a few years in my youth.

I saw an interview with INXS on Music Box (the strand of music programmes shown late night on ITV in the late 80's) where a member of the band pronounced the bands name as "Inks".

non capisco

Off topic but I'll never not be amused by the fact that one of INXS is called Garry Gary Beers. OI OIIIIIII! ALL ABOARD THE BANTER BUS!!!!

markburgle

Quote from: Brundle-Fly on January 10, 2022, 03:32:29 PMI used to get Steely Dan and Steeleye Span mixed up.

Me too, there's a few like that, it's easily done when you've not actually heard one or both of them.

I used to think Nick Cave, Nick Drake and Nick Kent all had basically the same name. The Birthday Party and The Wedding Present went in the same box in my head for a while. Television and Magazine. Public Enemy and Public Image.

jamiefairlie

Quote from: dr beat on January 11, 2022, 06:34:36 PMOne for the pop crazed youngsters - its 'oh what wow, he's the greatest dancer', not 'I wonder why...'

Yeah but nobody knew this 'fact', I'm still highly sceptical to be honest.

phantom_power

Quote from: markburgle on January 11, 2022, 10:24:19 PMMe too, there's a few like that, it's easily done when you've not actually heard one or both of them.

I used to think Nick Cave, Nick Drake and Nick Kent all had basically the same name. The Birthday Party and The Wedding Present went in the same box in my head for a while. Television and Magazine. Public Enemy and Public Image.

I accidentally referred to Public Enemy as Public 'Enery in one of my first TV appearances

earl_sleek

I remember asking a lad in science class if he'd heard "My Name Is" by Eminem. "It's the NME!" he sneered at me. No Kevin.