Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,559,182
  • Total Topics: 106,348
  • Online Today: 719
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 05:00:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Moon Knight, new Disney Plus Marvel show

Started by samadriel, January 18, 2022, 12:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerzy Bondov

Oh yeah I forgot he's cancelled. I actually never liked his comics.

Artie Fufkin

Love Moon Knight. He crazy! Really looking forward to how this series pans out. Great bit of casting, I think (hope).
Yes, the Ellis run is brilliant. Well worth reading. I have both volumes of Essential Moon Knight which are also great.
I'm deffo Team Moon Knight.

Bad Ambassador

Gaspard Ulliel, who plays Midnight Man in the series, has been killed in a skiing accident.

Mister Six

Blimey, only 37, too.

In the comics he wound up horribly scarred, apparently, so maybe recasting won't be such an issue. But obviously that doesn't do much for those he left behind.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Anyone watching this then? I'm liking it so far, even if it feels like it's riding on Legion's coattails. Then again, I liked a lot of these Disney+ Marvel efforts in the early running, only to be disappointed as they went on.

Ethan Hawkman makes for a compelling baddie. Charismatic, imposing and seemingly well intentioned - although the show has already pointed out the flaw in his logic that could well see him become one-dimensionally evil come the finale.

Other than some dodgy CGI (particularly that pastel-shaded timber lorry in the first episode) it looks nice, with actual location shooting and crisp cinematography.

Isaacs' Estuary English accent seems to have sparked debate, but it sounds fine to my southeastern ears. It's certainly less distracting than Cummerbund Cabbagepatch's Doctor House Strange voice.

I'm sure Schizophrenia and/or Dissociative Identity Disorder are heavy things to deal with, but I was a bit annoyed by Stephen's refusal to let Marc take over during the big fight in episode 2. I would most certainly prefer to black out and let someone else deal with immediate mortal peril. How come he needs permission to fight the jackal anyway? He was able to take over for the mission to Germany in the first episode.

Another headscratcher: Why did Stephen stay in the museum after the baddies tracked him down? Was there a deleted scene, or do I need to watch it again?

Magnum Valentino

Yeah, I've been watching it. I really like Oscar and the accent and indeed the whole nature of his performance, from the wide eyes to the cadence of his reactions in certain situations, seem very keenly observed by a fan of British comedy. He's not just doing an accent, is what I mean - he's doing a British comedy character. It's the fact that the dialogue is peppered with token localisms that lets it down, and also his apparent unwillingness to refer to himself as 'mental' which is the very word that sounds best in that voice, but I believe would be offensive. Annoyingly he did then use it to describe something else.

As far as the mental health/disability issue, that's what makes me uncomortable, a wee bit, because it's hard to tell whether or not he's suffering from an actual condition or, in proper pulpy comic book fashion, he's hosting different entities in a single body. The latter is the stuff of cool imaginary storytelling, but the former is maybe not the best way to frame it. If that makes sense? I don't know why but it's not sitting well with me, whereas Split didn't bother me at all. Marvel's had other characters who shared a body - Rick Jones and Mar-Vell, arguably Bruce Banner and Hulk/Joe Fixit - but those portrayals were not exclusively grounded in the notion of a mental disorder.

The reveal that he had superpowers made it an easier sell though. Puts it more in the first camp.

I'm also struggling with the idea that one of his 'lives' inevitably has to be the lesser/assumed life, so to speak. Either his London life (house, job, shit coworkers) is a fabrication/delusion, or his American life (wife with implacable accent, adventuring) is. Does that mean one has to go?

Might be overthinking it but it does sit on my shoulder when I'm watching it.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on April 07, 2022, 08:18:41 AMIt's the fact that the dialogue is peppered with token localisms that lets it down,

Really? I think the "bruvs" and "ends" are the only credible part of his vocal delivery. His accent is wonky as fuck but maybe that is intentional.

The Culture Bunker

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on April 07, 2022, 09:23:29 AMReally? I think the "bruvs" and "ends" are the only credible part of his vocal delivery. His accent is wonky as fuck but maybe that is intentional.
I thought so too - to show "Steven Grant" is a bit of hastily put-together persona.

I had wondered why it wasn't brought up how a museum shop worker could afford such a big flat in London, but they stuck in a line yesterday about it belonging to his "mother". Presumably that'll come into play more later.

phantom_power

I think his accent is great and far more specific than the general "London" accent you normally get. He sounds almost exactly like Ben Chaplin, and his manner is very like him when he is in "meek" mode as well, like in The Truth About Cats & Dogs

I don't have a problem with the mental health aspect as he is clearly someone with two competing genuine personalities/entities inside him, rather than just some illness that makes him think that. Obviously he thinks the latter to start with because the former is too fantastic, but he pretty quickly realises his error

I am really enjoying this show, and loving the direction, acting and music. The latest episode was directed by Moorhead & Benson, the team behind The Endless and Spring

Lord Mandrake

From what I understand he studied, of all people Russell Kane for the accent. So an imitation of an imitation. It's broadly Essex aping proper East end.

colacentral

I would have bet it all on Rylen being his dialect coach.

Accent is fine, the dialogue just sometimes sounds an awful lot like an American trying to write a Simon Pegg character. The "1-1" line from the second episode being the worst example of that. Of course he stops mid fight to make a broad football reference like that, because he's British by the way.

I thought Layla's accent was a lot worse, on account of it not being consistent at all. Seemed to be all over the shop but vaguely American when she first appeared on the bike, then almost British by the end of the episode.

letsgobrian

Quote from: colacentral on April 07, 2022, 10:35:12 AMI would have bet it all on Rylen being his dialect coach.

Accent is fine, the dialogue just sometimes sounds an awful lot like an American trying to write a Simon Pegg character. The "1-1" line from the second episode being the worst example of that. Of course he stops mid fight to make a broad football reference like that, because he's British by the way.

I thought Layla's accent was a lot worse, on account of it not being consistent at all. Seemed to be all over the shop but vaguely American when she first appeared on the bike, then almost British by the end of the episode.

The bike scene felt like wonky ADR. I think there's another spot with Ethan Hawke later where they cut away from him just for him to say "scarab" with a different room tone to the rest of the scene.

Magnum Valentino

Sounded to me at times like she was Irish too.

kalowski

Watched episode one with my son and we utterly loved it. Will watch Ep 2 on Sunday so I'll have a proper read of this thread then but after the scene at the end of Ep 1 my lad was just repeating "That was so cool" over and over. It's a hit with at least one kid.

That reminds me: Did anyone else hear him drop an f-bomb when he was kicking the mirror near the end of the second episode? It was partially drowned out by sound effects (which is reflected in the subtitles) but I could swear... and I'm sure he did, too.

Is this the first one of these series to have no prior connections to the films? Oscar Isaac is kind of a big deal, so I could imagine this setting him up as a future Avenger.

Lord Mandrake

The only connection to the larger MCU so far is a poster on a bus for the GRC. Oscar Issac isn't under contract for anything else beyond this series but it's not hard to imagine him popping up in a Midnight Sons movie what with Blade and Black Knight in development.

Artie Fufkin

Quote from: phantom_power on April 07, 2022, 09:36:29 AMThe latest episode was directed by Moorhead & Benson, the team behind The Endless and Spring
Oh, really!!? As in episode 2??

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: colacentral on April 07, 2022, 10:35:12 AMI thought Layla's accent was a lot worse, on account of it not being consistent at all. Seemed to be all over the shop but vaguely American when she first appeared on the bike, then almost British by the end of the episode.

Her performance is otherwise fine but unfortunately the accent goes for a tour of the British Isles in episode 3 whereas Oscar Issac really settles into Steven's voice and switches between him and Marc seamlessly.
Spoiler alert
Strong hints that Jake has been around all along
[close]

elliszeroed

Am enjoying it, but it seems to be lacking something... not sure what. Stakes perhaps? I just don't feel that Ammit or Etahn Hawkwind (who looked really old in the 3rd ep) is much of a threat, it feels a bit too abstract I guess.

letsgobrian

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on April 13, 2022, 03:19:40 PMHer performance is otherwise fine but unfortunately the accent goes for a tour of the British Isles in episode 3 whereas Oscar Issac really settles into Steven's voice and switches between him and Marc seamlessly.
Spoiler alert
Strong hints that Jake has been around all along
[close]

I'm guessing that
Spoiler alert
this unseen alter was who asked the woman to the date at the steakhouse back in episode 1, as it doesn't seem like Marc would have taken time off from being the Fist of Khonshu to go dating.
[close]

Continuing to enjoy how little this relies on previous MCU material, and how the presentation of an ancient pantheon is so different from how the Thor movies handled Norse mythology.

bakabaka

I'm finding it distracting that this is being played as a comedy while dealing with various mental problems. Steven is constantly flipping between angsty, learning to control the situation and Buster Keaton hapless victim with the obligatory Marvel snappy comebacks. Konshu was introduced as an emo teenager, all self-pitying outrage with the power to push furniture around. Even the fights, with their genre-breaking cutaways to avoid expensive choreography and effects, somehow feel as if we should be laughing when it returns to the aftermath. At least the Hawklord with his comedy crunch orthopaedic footwear is mostly sinister.

So when episode 3 tries to take it into more serious territory, it feels as if it's pulling against itself while we wait for the punchline.

Not sure that all the Arabic Tourist Board montages are helping the storyline either but presumably the director thinks that this will be his only chance to promote his native culture to the US, so is throwing it all at us.

Zero Gravitas

I'm really put out of this by how bumbling he is, I know it's for childen, but still, a little bit broad for my tastes.

Dr Rock

beanheadmcginty

Was that a deliberate Spy Who Loved Me reference?

Dr Rock

Both scenes took place in Egypt so I'd say yes.

The gods' inquiry was weirdly prosaic. No mind powers, omniscience or anything, just...

"Are you trying to free Ammit?"
"No."
"Alright then."

Catalogue of ills

It's upsetting me that the Egyptian god has an American accent. Otherwise, it's good.

Lord Mandrake

The beauty of the charachter/s is that the writers can have their cake and eat it, shit it out and go again. Ep 4
Spoiler alert
stretches credulity beyond tipping point before pulling the rug and then pulls the next rug minutes later.
[close]
Pacing still hectic and I read that a lot was cut from this episode.

mjwilson

They'll be loving this on the LOST forums.

bakabaka

And the weird tonal shifts continue. I particularly liked the Frank Spencer impression when they first entered the tomb, the Del Boy "You plonker" and the Pegg and Frost shot at the very end.

Also liking the action figures they're showing (presumably setting up the marketing), though we haven't seen the Konshu with bobblehead action figure yet, sadly.