Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 20, 2024, 05:10:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Moon Knight, new Disney Plus Marvel show

Started by samadriel, January 18, 2022, 12:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

"Eye of Horus, please"

That particular rug pull has been done a bunch of times, but this one is unusual
Spoiler alert
for not really trying to pretend the asylum is real.
[close]

They're really building up the mystery third persona. I hope it's not leading to some deus ex machina ending (I know there are actual gods involved, but that wouldn't make it any better).

Quote from: Catalogue of ills on April 15, 2022, 08:51:12 PMIt's upsetting me that the Egyptian god has an American accent. Otherwise, it's good.
Yeah, that's a bit naff. Like everyone in the olden times, he should have an RP English accent.

Bad Ambassador

I'm halfway through and not really enjoying this at all. There's so much fantasy stuff thrown at the audience from the start, with no baseline of reality. Our viewpoint character has multiple personalities, both of which have superhero alter egos, chats with an Egyptian god and is played by a great actor, yet still manages to be boring and not very likeable. The stakes are vague and uninteresting. It apparently is just a one-off, so it doesn't seem like it's going anywhere. The Falcon and the Winter Soldier felt like a route march in a big empty circle, but this feels like the first real dud of the Disney+ series.

Dr Rock

I'm enjoying this quite a bit, but there's very little Moon Knight is there. In the old Hulk TV show Hulk was guaranteed to show up twice per episode.

kalowski

Quote from: Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth on April 21, 2022, 01:35:55 PMThey're really building up the mystery third persona.
Do you mean a third personality "inside" Stephen/Marc? I'm sure there is.
Spoiler alert
Do you think this personality was in the other sarcophagus in the hospital?
[close]

Hippo Woman is my favourite new TV character since Doctor Who's Dog Man.

Lord Mandrake

Ep5 Is hands down the best episode of Marvel tv yet and Oscar Issac will win an Emmy, get that clipped.

C_Larence

Spoiler alert
Might be misunderstanding something, but why did Steven only have pleasant memories of his mum when he was invented specifically to take the brunt of her abuse?
[close]

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: C_Larence on April 27, 2022, 02:46:37 PM
Spoiler alert
Might be misunderstanding something, but why did Steven only have pleasant memories of his mum when he was invented specifically to take the brunt of her abuse?
[close]

Spoiler alert
Can't say I fully understand the 'Alter' system but he appears to be maybe a 'gatekeeper' that just buries everything and is perhaps in denial even during the abuse. ie; "It's not my mum!"
[close]

Yes, that was all rather confusing.
Spoiler alert
I'm no psychologist, but it seems like the personalities are the wrong way around. Tough guy Marc should be the fake one, conjured up to defend the more passive and innocent Steven. The show even tells us that Steven's creation was inspired by the fearless hero of their favourite film, so why is Steven so weedy?

Also, Steven has spent a lot of the series resenting Marc's existence. It seems like it would have been more emotionally satisfying to have him finally realise how much Marc has done for him in their shared life. That could also be the moment that they balance the scales.
[close]

Bad Ambassador

Very bold for the fifth episode of a six-part series to not advance the plot one iota, but instead treat reveals of the bleeding obvious as though they were great revelations.

For all the claims of how amazing and Christopher Nolany the episode was, it reminded me of nothing more than
Spoiler alert
Life on Mars and the episode of Buffy where she's in an asylum and only thinks she's a Slayer.
[close]

Butchers Blind

It did feel a bit pop psychology by numbers, but the numbers were the wrong way round.

bakabaka

Quote from: Lord Mandrake on April 27, 2022, 12:02:43 PMEp5 Is hands down the best episode of Marvel tv yet and Oscar Issac will win an Emmy, get that clipped.
I'd put series 1 and most of series 2 of Legion above it, if only because of all the clichés in Moon Knight.
Spoiler alert

And getting the characters the wrong way round, as everyone else says, otherwise how come Steven suffers the abuse but Marc remembers it all? I assumed that the secondary character was created to protect the main one, but if one suffers physically and the other one mentally, what is the benefit?
[close]

Ant Farm Keyboard

Why no crossover episode with young Captain Picard and his mother?

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: bakabaka on April 28, 2022, 03:04:04 PMI'd put series 1 and most of series 2 of Legion above it, if only because of all the clichés in Moon Knight.
Spoiler alert

And getting the characters the wrong way round, as everyone else says, otherwise how come Steven suffers the abuse but Marc remembers it all? I assumed that the secondary character was created to protect the main one, but if one suffers physically and the other one mentally, what is the benefit?
[close]

Yeah I meant the Disney ones. Legion is operating on a different level but the comparisons are inevitable.

Lord Mandrake

The alter confusion is probably going to be cleared up
Spoiler alert
by Jake - whom I'm quite confident was in the episode even though it seems to have gone over most peoples heads
[close]

C_Larence

Actually his third alter is Reed Richards/Mephisto

Glebe

I've only watched the first two episodes but it's fairly action-packed and cinematic so far.

Dr Rock

The last episode - was it possible to wrap everything up in some kind of satisfactory way? Yes. It was pretty fucking good.

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Do he and his friend Dinosaur Man work together to foil the machinations of the evil Sky Rake?

Dr Rock

elliszeroed

Thought this was great.

Interestingly, in the comics, the different identities were originally just alias', until at some point they became alternate personalities.

Link to CBR about Moon Knight's alias' origins

Mister Six

Is this worth watching if I'm bored of Marvel and don't know anything about Moon Knight, but would like to watch a quality action-adventure type show?

Dr Rock

Watch the first episode, it's very well put together, you'll be intrigued. Then after that it starts to get weird then more weird. It's not really like any other Marvel thing.

C_Larence

That was shit. Glad they interrupted the action so a young girl could ask
Spoiler alert
Layla if she was an "Egyptian superhero"
[close]
just to make sure nobody missed how great and diverse Marvel is.

To clarify, my issue is with how clunky and shoehorned in it was, not that there is an Egyptian superhero, same as the scene in Endgame with all the female superheroes.

Alberon

Not bad at all, perfectly fine. But going by how badly shows like the two live action Star Treks are fucking up this isn't as easy as it looks.

There are rumblings of a second season. If there is
Spoiler alert
the third persona has to be the antagonist. No idea how that'd work, but he has to be.
[close]

bakabaka

Particularly liked the 'Sienkiewicz Psychiatric Hospital'*

*Bill Sienkewicz (pronounced 'St. Kevitch') was the original Moon Knight artist who loved loonies like Moon Knight and Legion. The original mad scratchy Marvel artist.

7/10 - Would watch second series.

Mister Six

Quote from: Dr Rock on May 04, 2022, 08:19:30 PMWatch the first episode, it's very well put together, you'll be intrigued. Then after that it starts to get weird then more weird. It's not really like any other Marvel thing.

Cheers, I like Doom Patrol and loved Legion until it went up its own arse so this sounds promising.

Lord Mandrake

Quote from: C_Larence on May 04, 2022, 09:30:47 PMThat was shit. Glad they interrupted the action so a young girl could ask
Spoiler alert
Layla if she was an "Egyptian superhero"
[close]
just to make sure nobody missed how great and diverse Marvel is.

To clarify, my issue is with how clunky and shoehorned in it was, not that there is an Egyptian superhero, same as the scene in Endgame with all the female superheroes.

Yeah maybe, I don't know how else you reveal that in such a brisk finale.
Spoiler alert
Abdul El Fouly/The Scarlet Scarab was a villian and Egyptian nationalist in the comics. It resolved her accent at least.
[close]
Hope they do more it was a good time and Oscar Issac was superb.

All the punching was fun, but I'm not sure there was much actual plot in the finale. The expected thing would be that Marc and Steven learning to accept each other would give them the strength to save the day. Formulaic, maybe, but narratively satisfying. Instead, neither of them are really involved in beating Harrow. WandaVision may have ballsed things up on a thematic level, but at least the climactic fight was resolved in a clever way.