Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 19, 2024, 11:23:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Musical wankers' gear thread

Started by DJ Bob Hoskins, March 19, 2022, 02:22:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ferris

Nearly got the equivalents for my epiphone ES. I've embraced wanker-dom at this point. Can't escape it.

Rich Uncle Skeleton

Quote from: Ferris on May 10, 2022, 08:29:12 PMBeen scoping out a Fender Noventa series jazzmaster in walnut. Think this is the one - you can keep yer SGs and Nighthawks, 3x P90s with a big headstock and hideous '70s colour palette, yes please.

Phwoar

Sherman Krank

Ferris

I'll get one of these on the back

I've spotted a pedal that I want. A boss HF2 that flanges the higher overtones rather than the full signal.

Flange is the wankiest effect, yes?

Ferris

Flange is up there with wah/envelope filters for me Clive.

Following from a post in the Gervais comedy board thread, I did a search.

There absolutely has to be some Cabbers regretting this association right now.

Can I interest anyone in hiring a skip?

Ferris

Ah, so he actually has photos with both of my Gretsch acoustics (even the resonator).

A shame because they're quite good guitars, but yes please drive the skip over here at your earliest.

Sherman Krank

That white stratish one he's holding seems to be a Charvel so I'm fine.

Ferris

Two different colours of White Falcon too.

Why does he have so many photos of himself with guitars? He's not a musician and they're not plugged in so they're props, but ones that make him look absurd. He's doing a self-mocking pose with some, but others he's absolutely serious straight down the camera like its a shoot for his new album cover.

What a strange little man.

Wonderful Butternut

No basses. I'm golden.

Quote from: Ferris on May 13, 2022, 07:06:22 PMTwo different colours of White Falcon too.

Why does he have so many photos of himself with guitars? He's not a musician and they're not plugged in so they're props, but ones that make him look absurd. He's doing a self-mocking pose with some, but others he's absolutely serious straight down the camera like its a shoot for his new album cover.

What a strange little man.

Cos he's a sad, pathetic wanker?

Spiteface

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on May 11, 2022, 10:01:28 PMI've spotted a pedal that I want. A boss HF2 that flanges the higher overtones rather than the full signal.

Flange is the wankiest effect, yes?

It's the whammy pedal for me.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Rich Uncle Skeleton

always feels so good to have Klon buyers there to make myself feel okay about that £150 I spent on a twin Bender 3. worth it, mind.

Bought a duo sonic lol

Don't think it's wanker territory, but I simply must tell as many people as possible.

Ferris

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 26, 2022, 01:36:11 PMBought a duo sonic lol

Don't think it's wanker territory, but I simply must tell as many people as possible.

Any fender offset is well into wanker territory, and I should know.

Good choice, I've always fancied one. What colour you go for? The gold player series ones look properly wanky aka very tempting.

Metallic ice blue.

It was on eBay for £300(!) and I got offered a code for 10%. Find it astonishing it didn't go sooner. Collection only is my guess, but the thing is in as new condition. Still selling for 520 online and I've got it for nearly half that.

DJ Bob Hoskins

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 26, 2022, 01:36:11 PMBought a duo sonic lol

Nice, enjoy it!

Is it one of these ones, with the humbucker in the bridge? Because those are worthy of inclusion in anybody's spank bank.

Ferris

Quote from: drummersaredeaf on June 26, 2022, 06:52:56 PMMetallic ice blue.

It was on eBay for £300(!) and I got offered a code for 10%. Find it astonishing it didn't go sooner. Collection only is my guess, but the thing is in as new condition. Still selling for 520 online and I've got it for nearly half that.

Lovely bit of (wanky) business, congrats!

Ferris

I swapped out the cheap red plexi tortoiseshell scratchplate on the Ferriscaster for a 3 ply mint green affair and it looks fucking brilliant. Dead chuffed about it. Wasn't gonna mention it but the thread was bumped so 🤷.

Also gonna buy that p-90 jazzmaster any day now once I get slightly pissed. I can just feel it.

I was anti mint pickguards until about 12 hours ago.

Ferris

And just to reiterate, that's an absolute steal for your Duo Sonic. Terrific price, great guitar.

Forgive my ignorance @drummersaredeaf - is it short scale?

Quote from: Ferris on June 27, 2022, 12:14:21 AMAnd just to reiterate, that's an absolute steal for your Duo Sonic. Terrific price, great guitar.

Forgive my ignorance @drummersaredeaf - is it short scale?

24", yes. So not a kiddy guitar like the original 22.5 inchers. Bit cramped at the top end but whatever.

Still trying to work out what to restring it with. I'll whip out some calipers to see what's on it already and go from there. Guy said it was a lockdown project (otherwise an acoustic player) and it still has the factory fitted strings on, but they feel heavier than 10s.

I like the fight in heavier strings. Got 11-54 on an LP scale and it makes picking much more accurate, but it's VERY fucking hard to bend a 22 gauge G string in E standard.

Ferris

I got a set of 8-42 hyper-slinkies (I think) on my tele and am loving it. Anything past a 9 is unnecessarily hard going I reckon.

Then again, I'm a total gear wanker offering a wanky gear opinion in a thread about wanky gear so take that with a pinch of salt.

Sherman Krank

The general rule of thumb is the shorter the scale length the heavier the string gauge.

On something with 22.5 you'll likely have tuning stability issues if you try to go lighter than
10's as the strings won't have quite enough tension in them when tuned to pitch.

It's said that 10's on a Les Paul will feel like 9's on a strat/tele but it can vary from guitar to guitar and also different brands of strings can have a different feel to them.

Sherman Krank

Meant to say that while duo-sonics look fine from the front (better than Mustangs anyway), from the back though...

What are those ferrules doing way up there, that ain't right.

Quote from: Sherman Krank on June 27, 2022, 12:26:23 PMMeant to say that while duo-sonics look fine from the front (better than Mustangs anyway), from the back though...

That guitar looks VERY familiar!

Ferris

Quote from: Sherman Krank on June 27, 2022, 12:26:23 PMMeant to say that while duo-sonics look fine from the front (better than Mustangs anyway)

REPORTED

Quote from: Ferris on June 27, 2022, 01:01:07 PMREPORTED

I was upset with him for commenting on my missus's undercarriage too.

PlanktonSideburns

Quote from: Sherman Krank on June 27, 2022, 12:26:23 PMMeant to say that while duo-sonics look fine from the front (better than Mustangs anyway), from the back though...

Looks like Simon fuckin cowell