Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 01:19:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Football Thread 2021/22 Part 2 - Matt Le Tosser, Dejan Moron and Thickie Lambert

Started by JamesTC, April 06, 2022, 08:28:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Kankurette on May 22, 2022, 07:28:59 PMOh FFS, this is why we can't have nice things. I hope Martinez is OK, I like him.

If this sort of thing keeps happening, they're going to start putting fences up and nobody wants that.See you down there.

Martinez wasn't playing today it was Olsen our 2nd keeper.

jobotic

Quote from: king_tubby on May 22, 2022, 07:25:31 PMI'm back! Some City twat attacked the Villa 'keeper.

https://www.mancity.com/news/mens/club-statement-aston-villa-63788839

Dock them points. Let the cunt cost them the title.

Also give the play-off final to Sheffield Utd by default. Let that cunt cost them promotion

Kankurette

Jasha

Can't be happy with 2 penno cups while missing out on the big one Clive

Inspector Norse

Indeed, Liverpool can claim the title on moral grounds not having got the benefit of any dodgy decisions whatsoever this season, Clive.

JamesTC

Manchester City win the league and all people talk about it Liverpool.

Inspector Norse

When you don't like any of the teams involved it's far more enjoyable to focus on the ones who didn't win.

I'm still hoping some suit pops up and goes "remember me?" and deducts a million points from all the ESL teams and we wind up with Brighton v Sassuolo in next year's Champions League.

JamesTC

The ESL was a replacement to the CL, not the PL (the ESL teams did not pull out of the PL). And now the CL have essentially reformatted the competition to be a Super League Light starting in 2024. Strange how little resistance to those changes that people have had.

Uncle TechTip

It would have killed off mid-week football, it would have led to severe changes in competitions.

Bernice

Yeah, they aren't quite the same, as shitty as the CL changes are. Ultimately, the direction of travel is one way, and it's not pretty. You can sit here and play 'Who's scumbage billionaire owner is worst' all day, and the difference between them isn't exactly trivial, but all the ire should be directed at the forces of capital that piss in the face of the game. Partisanships all a bit of fun inside the stadium, outside it's our collective heritage that's being sold off to the highest bidder, wether that's a sovereign wealth fund or a yank VC.

On a happier note, I went the Everton Arsenal game today, sat in the home end cos a gunner mate had a spare ticket. We were shite, Arsenal looked decent and I could just enjoy being at a game since the financial meltdown relegation would bring has been averted, for at least a year. Atmosphere was decent – away fans kept on singing as the City goals rolled in.

I left the ground and my pal to head home. On the way to the tube station I bumped into some old school friends who'd been in the away end. We went for a few pints, chatted with some sound Arsenal fans, swapped songs, reflections on this season, expectations for the next. Without wanting to be trite, Clive, that's what it's all about, really.

Kankurette

Zinchenko sobbing into his team mates after the City game, bless him. And wrapping a Ukrainian flag around the trophy.

Also Pep Guardiola is trying to compete with Roberto Martinez in the Bald Catalan Managers' Dad Dancing Contest. Sorry, Pep, but there can only be one.
Quote from: Bernice on May 22, 2022, 10:39:59 PMYeah, they aren't quite the same, as shitty as the CL changes are. Ultimately, the direction of travel is one way, and it's not pretty. You can sit here and play 'Who's scumbage billionaire owner is worst' all day, and the difference between them isn't exactly trivial, but all the ire should be directed at the forces of capital that piss in the face of the game. Partisanships all a bit of fun inside the stadium, outside it's our collective heritage that's being sold off to the highest bidder, wether that's a sovereign wealth fund or a yank VC.
This, and it's another reason why I've become more interested in lower league and non-league football (and even that isn't safe from inequalities or corruption either, see Pukka Pies thread for reference). Marco Silva's worried about next season, and with good reason. He knows he and Fulham just can't compete with the big cheeses.

JamesTC

Spending money isn't the direct ticket to success. It is how the money is spent. Fulham were relegated in 2019 with one of the highest net spends that season. Everton just narrowly escaped relegation with one of the highest net spends over the last few seasons whilst barely escaping FFP sanctions.

I feel like it is starting to reach a point where survival is about management and recruitment rather than money. No team can really cry poverty on the lower end of the table with the amount of money the league brings even to those relegated. It is only when you are pushing higher that things get more difficult. Would have been nice if West Ham could have gone above United and broke the "Top 6" but que sera.

Thursday

It would also have been funny if Man Utd finish 7th - the same place they were when they sacked Ole. Ah well them finishing with 0 goal difference is funny.

Thursday

Anyway I'm both annoyed that we aren't getting the Summer World Cup to which we're entitled, but thinking ahead with excitement to the November/December world cup. The final is on the 18th December it's going to be incredibly weird, disorientating and chaotic.

Norton Canes

The 2022 World Cup can get in grave, along with most of its migrant construction workers

Kankurette

Even I can't watch it. Obviously I want England to do well but the whole thing leaves me cold.

bgmnts

World cup is world cup, not arsed when it's on really or which shitty nation hosts it.

DrGreggles

It would be good to see a few big names boycotting it.
Once a handful start calling it out, maybe others will follow.

As it's FIFA the tournament will still go ahead, but it can be rendered pretty worthless if the best players aren't there.

Inspector Norse

Won't happen. Gareth Southgate said a while ago that the English FA and many others were in regular contact with Amnesty among others and they weren't calling for the tournament to be called off or boycotted but for constructive and progressive work to highlight the situation, call out the issues and those responsible, put together reparations and push for change.

I imagine there will be some kind of protest or statement, possibly something with the big Euro countries coordinating. There've been a few things during qualifying but minor things like the Dutch wearing t-shirts.

DrGreggles

Southgate is a company man, he's hardly going to rock the boat.

druss

I have some mates who support Liverpool and part of me wanted them to get the quadruple but then I remembered Jamie Carragher exists and still has a punditry job after spitting on a child.

Utter Shit

I don't understand why there's so much confusion, it's very simple. Liverpool's fans are worse than the UAE's many humanitarian atrocities.

bgmnts

To be fair, Glenn Hoddle said that disabled people deserve to be disabled as punishment for sins in a former life, and he is freely commentating regularly.

Football is just gash.

Utter Shit

That still makes me laugh now, what an insane thing to get sacked for. Get sacked for not qualifying for the 2008 Euros - fine. Get sacked for getting knocked out by Iceland in 2016 - fine. Don't get fucking sacked for saying disabled people are being punished for sins in a former life, it's so undignified.

Kankurette

Simon Jordan is a homophobic piece of shit and is still a regular on TalkSport.

Utter Shit

Is he? That's a shame, I've always had him on my "surprisingly not a cunt despite their appearance" list along with Jay Rayner and Lawrence Llewellyn-Bowen.

JamesTC

Quote from: Kankurette on May 23, 2022, 10:38:17 AMSimon Jordan is a homophobic piece of shit and is still a regular on TalkSport.

Yeah but that is TalkSport. Football's answer to GB News.

Kankurette

Which is exactly why I never listen to it, that and it has Sam Allardyce on a lot. (Jordan approvingly retweeted a horrible homophobic article from the S*n.)