Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,585,780
  • Total Topics: 106,776
  • Online Today: 949
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 28, 2024, 02:51:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Daniel Kitson 2022

Started by up_the_hampipe, April 22, 2022, 05:48:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paddy72

Quote from: Tiggles on February 21, 2023, 12:09:48 AMHebden Bridge #1 was heaps of silly fun. Just such a pleasure to spend 90 minutes in his company. V glad he's back doing his job, there really is no other comedian I enjoy as much mucking around with the audience and reading stuff out of his book then forgetting to say the punchline. Some quite splendid turns of phrase as well. Looking forward to seeing where he takes this when he's cooked it a bit more in Australia.

Yeah, Hebden was great. The last time I saw him do something so unstructured would have been 2004-ish in Exeter, when he walked on, declared himself completely bored with his show, and just did a Q&A instead. It is a real pleasure to listen to him just do crowd work.

Thanks to @holyzombiejesus for hooking me up with a spare ticket!

Looking forward to seeing Tree again tomorrow night, so it's quite a Kitson-heavy week.

Tiggles

There were a very few empty seats at The Trades Club last night but nothing terrible. It's February, people get ill. Plus he's only doing the two dates up north.

In London there was always a problem with cheap wip of people buying the ticket then not going. I remember Emma at The Hob operating a three strikes system for a bit, and sending a really scared email to her the one time I couldn't make it at the last minute.

Tiggles

Also, last night he said something about "must get on the merch". He was most likely kidding (it was all of a theme with his explanation for returning to stand-up) but it did make me think about what Kitson merch I'd like in my fantasy world, aside from the actual recordings of his actual stuff.

I think I'd love something like a beautifully produced script of Tree, or Everything's Alright Now... , possibly with some photographs, a nice introduction/ contextualisation and related artwork along with a physical copy. I'm not really one for T-shirts.

Would anyone else want to throw money at him for his art?

Tomsidg

Quote from: Tiggles on February 21, 2023, 10:58:39 AMWould anyone else want to throw money at him for his art?

Would love a nice Faber edition of Stories for the Skylit Sky.

I really enjoyed Tim Key's two recent books which were illustrated by Emily Juniper. Something similar would work really well for his story shows.

Tiggles

Really enjoyed Tree just now, the back-and-forth is genuinely funny and they are both so excellent in it.

I occasionally got the sense that the sound wasn't always fully lined up - or was it just my stream being wonky?

Pimhole

I loved that so much. It was more like a Kitson story show than I expected, not sure why I expected it to be all that different.

The sound wasn't out of synch for me but it did buffer a few times meaning I missed bits of dialogue and also I felt they could have recorded the sound better, Tim was very loud but I had to have the volume right up to hear Kitson at all. I get that it was probably an attempt to replicate how it would have sounded in the room but it would not have been the same at all, the acoustics in the room itself would have made hearing both parts a lot easier.

Also my neighbour came round halfway through to collect a parcel I'd taken in for her FUCKING DAYS AGO, swear to god.

Still, just glad I got to see it.

Anyway roll on a DVD release with subtitles.

Tiggles

Good to hear it was most likely my wonky stream.

Yep I found it hard to hear Kitson as well. Although tbf I remember I didn't catch a lot of his part of the dialogue in the Old Vic either!

Timothy

Gonna watch it tonight. Can't wait. Have been wanting to see this show for years.

CaledonianGonzo

My word it's a very shouty show.

DrGreggles

I watched it last night and I'm pretty sure I was in the audience for that recording.

Great to see it again.

DrGreggles

They sort of have to shout a fair bit

CaledonianGonzo

Quote from: DrGreggles on February 24, 2023, 02:34:15 PMThey sort of have to shout a fair bit

It's an intrinsic flaw. ........unless they'd built a shorter tree.

But glad to finally have the chance to see it.

cacciaguida

Enjoyed watching this. Not sure it's anything toooo special as a work of art but good fun.

Just to check we are all on the same page:

Spoiler alert
kitson really had been living up that tree, right?
[close]

DrGreggles

Spoiler alert
deliberately ambiguous
[close]

Tiggles

Spoiler alert
I thought it was deliberately ambiguous but also reminded me a bit of the end of Roger & Grace
[close]

SweetPomPom

Probably up to 50:50 material/nonsense at the Bill Murray this morning.
A surprising amount of song and dance and he even managed to add a couple of bits to his book.

Tiggles

Quote from: SweetPomPom on March 04, 2023, 01:15:08 PMA surprising amount of song and dance

Dance!?

Songs I'm used to (at least in the mucking about stage of proceedings, or by Gav) but dance is a new one on me. Intrigued!

SweetPomPom

A jig would probably be more accurate. He attempted 2 or 3 little ditties, they're definitely not Gav-esque.

Think the last time I saw a solo show was when he was dicking around with pre-recorded stuff, this was way more fun all round.

SteveDave

What time is best to get there to ensure maximum comfort?

SweetPomPom

Turned up at 5 to, as they opened the back room and went straight in. Was pretty much full but easyish to sit where you want.

SteveDave

I read that as "Turned up at 5" and my eyes widened.

SteveDave

One joke about a doughnut added to the book today and a lot more badmouthing podcasts.

Memorex MP3

Quote from: SteveDave on March 04, 2023, 05:10:27 PMWhat time is best to get there to ensure maximum comfort?
For the Bill Murray? About quarter past; if you arrive on time you run the risk of being shepherded into horrible seats to the sides at the front you can't get out from

lankyguy95

Quote from: SteveDave on March 05, 2023, 03:22:15 PMOne joke about a doughnut added to the book today and a lot more badmouthing podcasts.
Any particular podcasts?

cakeinmilk

Quote from: lankyguy95 on March 05, 2023, 06:40:19 PMAny particular podcasts?

No Such Thing as a Fish and other fact-related podcasts. He didn't do his bit about "podcasts by wankers" being a tautology today, though.

gazurtoids

Quote from: cakeinmilk on January 03, 2023, 05:19:50 PMThis should help!

https://cakeinmilk.github.io/artwu2023/

hi cakeinmilk. Do you know that the archive.org links to the full shows (but not the edits) seem to have been removed? (For ARTWU 2023 at least) The page now reports "The item is not available due to issues with the item's content.", so presumably it's due to the music unfortunately.

cakeinmilk

Quote from: gazurtoids on March 25, 2023, 11:12:25 AMhi cakeinmilk. Do you know that the archive.org links to the full shows (but not the edits) seem to have been removed? (For ARTWU 2023 at least) The page now reports "The item is not available due to issues with the item's content.", so presumably it's due to the music unfortunately.

Ah, interesting! Thank you - I'll have to find another home for those, I guess.