Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 28, 2024, 03:20:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Graham Linehan Episode XVIII: Help Me Elon Muskenobi, You're My Only Hope

Started by Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse, May 03, 2022, 09:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Late Satoru Iwata

All rise for the Banana Anthem

QuoteGod, I'll make them pay
Take it back one day
I'll end this day
I'll splatter colour on this grave

bgmnts

Guilty as charged
Damaging trans rights
But Twitter is controlling meeeee

DreadedScotsman

Quote from: dead-ced-dead on May 26, 2022, 11:47:29 AMEight and a half minutes!? Jog on!

Quite right, anyway the official anthem is the full 17 minute rendition of Turned Off Replies

phes

Quote from: JaDanketies on May 26, 2022, 10:48:43 AMIt's not merely fighting The Trans Menace that is worth losing your family and career for - it's ineffectually fighting The Trans Menace by being abusive on social media.

I hate to point out the obvious, but let's assume that Graham could pull £500k p/a when he was a success, and he's pulling £100k p/a now - probably an underestimate and an overestimate. And he'd lose a percentage of that in tax too - probably <20% because it'd be dividends. Graham, what would be a better way to fight The Trans Menace - being a dick to celebrities such as Matt Lucas, or putting a cold hard circa £300k into the hands of lobbying groups?

You could buy Boris Johnson for less; Exonn just gives a couple of politicians a couple of quid and a bottle of whiskey, and they're destroying the planet! Graham could've alternatively bunged every Tory MP £1k every year to legislate against trans people instead, if he'd played his cards differently.

And he'd still have his family, his career and his reputation.

To be fair though he is thick as fuck, cannot concentrate on anything and has zero charm or charisma. He is stubborn, thin skinned, worryingly obsessive and lacks any self awareness, which makes him a superb relentless battering-ram for GC to get their most obnoxious ideas out there. I don't buy that he's done nothing but raise 300K for mermaids. I think he has helped radicalise quite a few thousand UK people into the craziest, nastiest part of the movement and they will all be stumping up their winter fuel allowances for the cause 

idunnosomename

We've done this before but here's Graham's Four Horsemen

TRANS

has taken its toll on you, your distinctly wonky face

TWITTER

it still commands your brain, though you're long banned from the place

STEWART LEE

For what he did to you, put you in the pedal bin

BEARD

Bananas for you for sure, you cannot let the bullies win

retsuza

Quote from: fancywookiee on May 26, 2022, 10:51:28 AMOh plus the 3 unread DMs which will surely be the evidence he needs to blow this whole thing wide open.

Linehan gets booted from Twitter circa 2020

Quote from: idunnosomename on May 26, 2022, 11:59:56 AMSTEWART LEE

Not the same since Jason stopped doing backing vocals.

EDIT: Just popped Live Shit on, and I'm never going to hear it again without picturing Newsted barking BEARD! BANANAS!

tomasrojo

Quote from: The Late Satoru Iwata on May 26, 2022, 11:39:02 AMI prefer the Thin Lizzy recording of Pronouns in the Bio to the later Metallica version.

I keep hearing
Son of a gun
We're having pron-
ouns in the bio

madhair60

My life is going nowhere
My Twitter I've been banned from
I have some DMs on there
And I can never scan them

So I produced my keyboard
And then produced my hatred
I typed "GrahamLinehan7"
Then shot cum into my pants-a

And I'm a real bananas fucking cunt
Attacking trans people, attacking trans people
There's pronouns in the bio

Pimhole

Quote from: Vroomo on May 26, 2022, 10:32:12 AMThis reply to that tweet is intriguing:  Will never forget what happened at Nine Lessons and Carols with
@robinince
 and the behaviour of one of those towards all the other comedians and towards
@stevepretty
 and his band.
As ever
@markthomasinfo
 got one over the jerk.

Yes, I want to know more about this.

Apparently Gerbais was on the 2008 bill which also included Richard Dawkins, Dara Ó Briain, Philip Jeays, Malcolm Middleton, Jarvis Cocker, Darren Hayman, Luke Haines, Stewart Lee, Simon Singh, Isy Suttie, Gavin Osborn, Mark Thomas, Joanna Neary, Chris Addison, Josie Long, Ben Goldacre and Tim Minchin. So, who is the most indiscreet out of that lot? It's probably SLee isn't it?

The Bumlord

FalknerHinton

Quote from: somersetchris on May 26, 2022, 03:53:41 PMHave not seen the special but is that really what the bit is about? It seems unlikely. Some projection going on there.

According to Debbie Hayton (of course) in The Spectator (of course) Gervais has told that publication

Quote'My target wasn't trans folk, but trans activist ideology. I've always confronted dogma that oppresses people and limits freedom of expression.'

I'm not going to link it because it's words by a cunt, about a cunt, in a magazine for cunts.

canadagoose

frajer

Quote from: canadagoose on May 26, 2022, 04:21:28 PM... Does he think that's actually Acaster?

FFS Linehan, put down the bottle and log off you dense bastard.

Ex_GC

Embarrassing

I looked on Twitter and he's not the only one that thinks that account is actually Acaster

The Bumlord

I don't mean to use abusive language but this guy's a real jerk.

Ferris

Quote from: DreadedScotsman on May 26, 2022, 11:51:36 AMQuite right, anyway the official anthem is the full 17 minute rendition of Turned Off Replies

We've got to lose that sax solo!

Poirots BigGarlickyCorpse

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 26, 2022, 02:52:14 PM

https://twitter.com/lecanardnoir/status/1529781807855583234?t=7QZ6UzZAs-1Cb8UARxo-2g&s=19
I just read Ince's review (skimming the first few paragraphs of philosophical bollocks about touring) and it's incredibly fair and even-handed and gives Gervais the benefit of the doubt ("sometimes what's subtle and nuanced inside your own head is only subtle and nuanced inside your own head"). But of course anything less than abject hole-gobbling followed by siccing one's followers on the nearest trans person means Ince is a captured coward who hates women or whatever.

phantom_power

Quote from: FalknerHinton on May 26, 2022, 04:05:24 PMAccording to Debbie Hayton (of course) in The Spectator (of course) Gervais has told that publication

I'm not going to link it because it's words by a cunt, about a cunt, in a magazine for cunts.

Surely the dogma that oppresses people and limits freedom of expression is coming from the transphobe side, not the trans rights side. OK there might be some fringe cases on the pro-trans side that want to limit what people say beyond the reasonable but for transphobes it is their core philosophy

Barry Admin

It's actually quite funny that he mentions the effect Twitter can have on someone like Gervais:

Quote from: Robin InceI think Ricky believes it is just him being a "naughty boy".  I believe it makes him a pin up and role model for the alt right (which is sadly just the mainstream right nowadays) and, whether he likes it or not, a useful ally in the culture war. I know he is not a supporter of alt right ideology, but I see his words used as gifs and memes in support of such ideology. The problem with spending too much time on Twitter is that you can start to make mistakes on where the power really lies and really does it lie with people who have taken umbrage with you and have a few hundred followers.

Obviously relevant in this thread. Not a new criticism either, as I remember him retweeting and mentioning on his blog the thing I wrote about Gervais and Linehan using their twitter fanbase as a private army and that was yeeears ago. Now it seems to have moved more in the direction of comedians using their act and celebrity to fight these twitter battles against trans people for criticising them.