Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 24, 2024, 07:03:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone want to talk about cocktails? What cocktails you makin' then?

Started by TrenterPercenter, May 14, 2022, 06:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrenterPercenter

As I cascade my alcoholism into the crisis of middle age I've started making the cocktails and that.  First Covid lockdown is when the home bar started, those first few weeks when everything kind of stopped for a bit I basically got pished off my face listening to choons in the garden.

Negronis where the order of the day back then, I was on this waaaay before that bell end Tucci went viral with his shit Negronis (man's an idiot, grating orange peel into your negroni?! why do you want to chew orange peel with your drink, you aren't even meant squeeze the outer shiny side? fucking cocktail dunce). 

Love me a Manhattan, Margarita (I have my little umbrellas mate!), Expresso Martini, Cubre Libra and I've just taken delivery of some Cachaca to start making some caipirinhas (which is solid summertime boozing if you've not had one) but I need more.

I'm having a BBQ thing for some old mates end of July and they've asked me to invent a cocktail to commemorate the day (bit like what the Queen did when she was alive). 

I kindof I want something that is fittingly impressive and perhaps looking like these bad boys (which I used to be fascinated with as a nipper).

The name is sorted, the "Snouted Bat" but I'm not sure on what actually goes into an SB yet.  I'm considering making some lilac syrup from the lilac tree at the bottom of the garden, hmmm maybe some ginger but what boozes and that? I don't yet know.

Anyway hit me with your cocktail inspos tell me what I should be doing and how I should be doing it? Ever had any good on or off piste cocktails?  Or shall we just come up with some funny cocktail names and then move the thread to HS Art (Old Man's Spunk, Pim's and Dick, Rusty Gooch)

Pink Gregory

Look, how do you make a Manhattan, and what do you put in it, because every time I've tried to make it it was DREADFUL.

And now I have a load of Red Vermouth I sure as hell don't know how to use.

Sebastian Cobb

Zero Gravitas

Cyn-Cyn fuck your trad-negroni.

It is good for filling a fridge waster dispenser in a pinch though.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 14, 2022, 07:10:34 PMLook, how do you make a Manhattan, and what do you put in it, because every time I've tried to make it it was DREADFUL.

And now I have a load of Red Vermouth I sure as hell don't know how to use.

A Manhatten is a seriously boozy drink so you need to accept it is going to taste strong.  What I would do is 2 to 1 bourbon (rye is traditional but bourbon is more common) to sweet Vermouth (if you are making perfects then obviously half sweet, half dry vermouth), couple of dashes of Angostura. all into a cocktail shaker filled with ice and then gently stir for 30 seconds - you want to get the liquid a) really cold and b) to take on a little bit of water (not too much though).

Strain into a glass and add you maraschino cherry.  My tip for you is to add some of the maraschino cherry juice about a tablespoon into the mix - you'll end up with a boozy Bakewell tart flavour this way which is nice for sweet versions.

You need decent bourbon (one that you like drinking neat) because that is the base.  I would also give a shout out to vermouths get yourself some decent stuff not Martini but Carpano Antica Formula or Cocchi di Torino (they are definitely worth the extra tenner). Vermouth is seriously underrated as a drink (largely because of Martini) you'll find some incredible flavours in vermouth (Cocchi di Torino for example has rhubarb in it which is wonderful when it comes through.

TrenterPercenter

Another thing I would say about the boozy cocktails are they are very much about impact on the taste buds and not just the flavour. Negroni's, Manhattan's, Boulevardiers are essentially sweet and sour, so they promote salivation.  Generally when people first try them they are a shock to the system due to high alcohol content and taste, but a bit like when people first try olives their taste buds acclimatise to the flavour and you start craving the sensation that promoting alongside the taste.

monkfromhavana

Magnum Valentino

Spent most of Christmas drunk and my most fabulous concoction was a sort of rip off of the White Russian which was made of Kahlua, vodka and the vanilla spice version of Amarula fruit liqueur.

Christened these fuckers ARMOR KING and have been missing them ever since but I'm not really a drinker and can only justify it at Christmas.

Pink Gregory

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 14, 2022, 07:40:09 PMI would also give a shout out to vermouths get yourself some decent stuff not Martini but Carpano Antica Formula or Cocchi di Torino (they are definitely worth the extra tenner). Vermouth is seriously underrated as a drink (largely because of Martini) you'll find some incredible flavours in vermouth (Cocchi di Torino for example has rhubarb in it which is wonderful when it comes through.

Well I fell at the first hurdle (it is Martini Rosso that I have 2/3 of a bottle of) but will do my research next time!

touchingcloth

Martin Van Buren Stan

White russians are the best. Easy to make too. Good for breakfast an all

Sebastian Cobb

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Pink Gregory on May 14, 2022, 07:57:25 PMWell I fell at the first hurdle (it is Martini Rosso that I have 2/3 of a bottle of) but will do my research next time!

Yeah upgrade that Vermouth.  Punt e Mes is also a good one and just as cheap as Martini.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 14, 2022, 08:00:43 PMWho is Tucci and why did he do this to a negroni?

Stanley Tucci "broke the internet" during lockdown in a viral video of him making his wife a Negroni.  This was famed as incredibly sexy.

Actually to be fair to the guy I've just watched it and he didn't do this.....hmmmm I'll email and apologise, a friend of mine said he copied how Tucci had made it and served me a negroni with grated orange peel in it - which is a bad as it sounds.

TrenterPercenter

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: Magnum Valentino on May 14, 2022, 07:51:55 PMSpent most of Christmas drunk and my most fabulous concoction was a sort of rip off of the White Russian which was made of Kahlua, vodka and the vanilla spice version of Amarula fruit liqueur.

Christened these fuckers ARMOR KING and have been missing them ever since but I'm not really a drinker and can only justify it at Christmas.

Sounds good and strong name.  I have to admit I don't actually have any vodka in the house.

touchingcloth

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 14, 2022, 08:14:46 PMStanley Tucci "broke the internet" during lockdown in a viral video of him making his wife a Negroni.  This was famed as incredibly sexy.

Actually to be fair to the guy I've just watched it and he didn't do this.....hmmmm I'll email and apologise, a friend of mine said he copied how Tucci had made it and served me a negroni with grated orange peel in it - which is a bad as it sounds.

Oh, that Tucci. I like him, so I'm glad I've stayed unaware of his antics with bitters.

Replies From View

bgmnts

Thinking about putting some white wine in a glass of orange squash but unsure if that counts.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: bgmnts on May 14, 2022, 08:57:26 PMThinking about putting some white wine in a glass of orange squash but unsure if that counts.

Hmmm needs a name at least.

How about "Deso Beatha"

bgmnts

I came up with Bucks Piss, which I like.

Tastes dogshit though.

Wonderful Butternut

Quote from: Replies From View on May 14, 2022, 08:52:48 PMwater + ice

Was mulling over trying my hand at cocktails. Cos I have a fair amount of various alcohols sitting in the cupboard and I don't drink them all that quickly.

Must research the basic starter items.

TrenterPercenter

jigger, Boston shaker, hawthorn strainer and a cocktail spoon are the essentials.  I've got a Mexican elbow also which I love but isn't essential.

touchingcloth

I like martinis. They're generally considered to be the best.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

Pink Gregory sounds like a good name for a cocktail. I think we should come up with the recipe. What shall we stick in Pink Gregory?

Dex Sawash