Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 07:30:51 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Anyone want to talk about cocktails? What cocktails you makin' then?

Started by TrenterPercenter, May 14, 2022, 06:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flotemysost

If we're talking ordering in a bar rather than making at home, Old Fahioned, Whiskey Sour or Sazerac (if it's there) is normally my go-to.

I'm pretty green to actually crafting them myself, but I'm slowly building an arsenal of wanky bar gear (trolley, cocktail shaker, glasses, and obviously booze and related accroutements). So far I've nailed a decent Espresso Martini (handy for me as I always make too much coffee in the morning, so I just bung the jar in the fridge then it's ready to go later).

In the winter 2020 lockdown I did attempt a few ropey New York Sours - basically whiskey and red wine, which sounds repulsive but is actually quite nice, and looks pretty (photo not my handiwork):

Brian Freeze

Dark rum (spiced if you like) + Ginger Wine + Amaretto

Adjust quantities to suit your taste or how much is left in the bottle.

Ice and slice of orange.

Probably already exists but if someone wants to give it a name - feel free x

TrenterPercenter

Yes Sazerac is on my list (need some rye and I can't decide what to get).

On the Expresso Martini's I would reccomend getting a bottle of this stuff....

It's good stuff

The Mollusk

Cocktails are such a faff for something that realistically is so tasty it gets tanned in roughly two minutes. They're only good if other people make them for you. I was making Margateritas (margaritas whilst in Margate) the other week and fair enough they are delicious qnd I was quite pissed off about four glasses but the effort of making them was too off-putting for me to be arsed about doing it again. Also Cointreau is stupidly expensive.

Fr.Bigley

flotemysost

Quote from: Brian Freeze on May 16, 2022, 11:19:27 AMDark rum (spiced if you like) + Ginger Wine + Amaretto

Ooh good shout, ginger wine is a bit phwooaarr. Makes me feel like it's Christmas in the 50s.

Quote from: Brian Freeze on May 16, 2022, 11:19:27 AMProbably already exists but if someone wants to give it a name - feel free x

My friend and I invented a ginger wine-based cocktail called a Foxy Lady years ago, but I'm certain this must already have been patented.

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 16, 2022, 11:20:10 AMExpresso Martini's

Mate

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: The Mollusk on May 16, 2022, 11:23:31 AMCocktails are such a faff for something that realistically is so tasty it gets tanned in roughly two minutes. They're only good if other people make them for you. I was making Margateritas (margaritas whilst in Margate) the other week and fair enough they are delicious qnd I was quite pissed off about four glasses but the effort of making them was too off-putting for me to be arsed about doing it again. Also Cointreau is stupidly expensive.

But ordering them out on the lash is £££

PS - I've noticed Cointreau is very expensive at the moment get the De Kuyper Curacao Triple Sec (checks spelling) its the same and half the price usually.

Kankurette

Never tried making my own because I'm lazy, but I do love cocktails. I have very girly taste in drinks (I think I was the only person at the CAB meet not drinking beer at any point). When I was at the Hard Rock Cafe for pre-Tool drinks, I ordered a lurid blue one and something with pineapple juice in it. And a slice of pineapple and one of those weird glace cherry doohickies.

TrenterPercenter

shoulders

New one last week. Sort of bastardised from 2 or 3 recipes for other things due to lack of ingredients:

Fig liqueur (used a sweet one)
Tonic water
Sugar (1 tea spoon)
Dash of Angostura bitters
Dash of ground cloves
Star anise
Sprinkle black pepper (added after shaking).

Needs a polite shake for a minute (hold that shaker tight too, the Tonic will fizz up), serve over ice in a glass tumbler. Suggest crushed ice but not essential. Should have a nice consistent froth.

Fruity, slightly bitter with a light, airy texture and pleasant amount of depth to the finish.

shoulders

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 16, 2022, 12:50:21 PMneeds assigning a name please....

Oh lovely, this is indulgent, ok...

I christen that drink 'Nase Matka', as the booze was from Montenegro.

Edit, just checked and that should be Majko naša

touchingcloth

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Tried to make pina coladas last year but I didn't have a shaker so there were a load of big horrible lumps of coconut cream in it. It was quite grotesque so I just poured loads of extra rum into it so that my mouth stopped noticing. COCKTAILS!!!

touchingcloth

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on May 16, 2022, 01:30:34 PMTried to make pina coladas last year but I didn't have a shaker so there were a load of big horrible lumps of coconut cream in it. It was quite grotesque so I just poured loads of extra rum into it so that my mouth stopped noticing. COCKTAILS!!!

That's surely the point of cocktails? The acceptable face of alcoholism. Guzzling (hello, phrases only seen in newspaper headlines thread) neat gin from the bottle: bad. Ritualistically shaking same gin with a tiny bit of another alcohol before serving it up with an olive and a sex crime: James Bond.

TrenterPercenter

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 16, 2022, 01:44:59 PMThat's surely the point of cocktails? The acceptable face of alcoholism. Guzzling (hello, phrases only seen in newspaper headlines thread) neat gin from the bottle: bad. Ritualistically shaking same gin with a tiny bit of another alcohol before serving it up with an olive and a sex crime: James Bond.

Ish, I think it is more about making neat alcohol taste nice, tbh the cocktail lobby appears much more honest about it's alcoholism than the wine lobby which seem to try and pretend that the booze in their bottles is an unwelcome burden that they just have to put up with (also see Shoulders thoughts on beer being about all taste).

Personally I enjoy getting rendered useless on booze and like it to taste nice (if possible though not always a deal breaker).

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Quote from: touchingcloth on May 16, 2022, 01:44:59 PMThat's surely the point of cocktails? The acceptable face of alcoholism. Guzzling (hello, phrases only seen in newspaper headlines thread) neat gin from the bottle: bad. Ritualistically shaking same gin with a tiny bit of another alcohol before serving it up with an olive and a sex crime: James Bond.

That's a good analysis, but in my case I was basically just drinking rum by the end of it

touchingcloth

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on May 16, 2022, 09:20:09 PMThat's a good analysis, but in my case I was basically just drinking rum by the end of it

I moved from martinis to gin slugged from the bottle. The inevitable trajectory.

TrenterPercenter

Ok so had some frozen banana daiquiris last night and they were a mega hit.  Basically a boozy slush puppy, I was surprised at how much the banana cut through. Definitely be making some more of these just white rum, lime juice, sugar and some fruit in a blender with some ice.

JaDanketies

the best cocktail is a Bloody Mary.

I like cocktails these days. Tired of all the other booze tbh, Get me something that tastes like alcopops and costs a tenner

Fr.Bigley

Tuna negroni today, neapolitan style, a tab end shoved in it as a straw

JaDanketies

Quote from: TrenterPercenter on May 16, 2022, 01:54:53 PMI think it is more about making neat alcohol taste nice,

Whiskey and rum taste nice already. I kinda feel a bit weird asking the barstaff to get a nice posh whiskey and mix some shit up with it, like I'm putting ketchup on a curry. Make my old fashioned with Bells plz

TrenterPercenter

Somethings standard booze is absolutely fine - I mean vodka is distilled ta fuck there isn't really very little else going on but alcohol, other things are a completely different ball game.  For example I've got a few dark rums in at the moment, some Cuban, Bajan and Jamaican and they are all noticeable different beasts and suit different cocktails.

JaDanketies

Fiancee likes espresso martinis the most. I occasionally get stuff in to make cocktails, but never anything that someone would spend ten minutes making. Usually something low-alcohol and childish. Another alcohol habit I'm trying to get into is making my first one or two drinks weak a f; is a shandy a cocktail? When I worked in the pub I used to tell this loud hardcase that his snakebite and black was a cocktail.

I got a slush puppy machine from B&M Home Bargains for about £10 which can crush ice, and which also came with slush puppy flavours.

The Mollusk

In NYC a few years back I went to a dive bar and the place was infamous for its frozen "Jageritas". Yes, that's right, a big Slush Puppy machine churning around ice cold Jagermeister margaritas. They were sold in pint sized polystyrene cups and cost something daft like $4. With each sip I would alternate between thinking it's surprisingly tasty and absolutely wretched. Pounded the fucker down me though and don't remember how we got back to the Airbnb that night. Classy broad, I am.

TrenterPercenter

First homemade frozen daiquiri very good.  Did banana but added a shot of triple sec and indeed it felt like there was a party in my mouth and everyone was invited.