Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

March 29, 2024, 03:06:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

US Invades Somalia

Started by Joe Qunt, May 17, 2022, 11:53:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Qunt

Whilst the world's eyes are on Russia/Ukraine, Biden reverses Trump's decision to pull out of Somalia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-61467478

Fambo Number Mive

bgmnts

All this during a drought that will apparently kill around 350,000 children if not addressed.

Made me sort of sad, in a way.

thugler

500 troops is not an invasion.

shoulders

Quote"a repositioning of forces already in theatre who have travelled in and out of Somalia on an episodic basis"

That's us told. Episodic theatregoing.

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: thugler on May 17, 2022, 12:00:41 PM500 troops is not an invasion.

Especially not when it's supported by the Somalian government

H-O-W-L

Not an invasion, it's a coalition mission with the Somalian government to deal with a militant group. Should've read the article. Also a lot of US troops are deployed throughout Africa anyway-- mostly on humanitarian aid missions. I've spoken to a chap who was actually deployed in Somalia in the mid-oughts as a water purification technician and most his service was just sitting in tents playing cards on his off time, and building wells/desalinators for the locals. Later went to Alaska to help the Engineer Corps build a fuckoff bridge to evacuate a village when the permafrost thawed and began to sink their homes. The US's armed forces does do more than stab babies.

I don't like the US Government -- fucking hate them, in fact -- but this really isn't an invasion or anything. Somalia, both locals and government, did not want Trump to withdraw the troops stationed there, because they provide security and infrastructural aid that was irreplacable, and Biden's return is likely going to be welcomed back happily.

The new president-elect of Somalia also said he really wants to work with other nations to improve the internal issues Somalia has so I fail to see how this is an invasion, or a Big War Bastard thing. I'd argue that using your armies to provide wanted aid is probably the best thing you can do when you're spending the GDP of several nations on them.

pcsjwgm

Would the Western media cover China's investment in infrastructure in Africa so positively? I know the BBC once had on an expert who mentioned the argument that China was placing these nations in debt traps, but as context for what would be her main point that disputes this argument, which the BBC deceptively cut from the programme:

http://www.chinaafricarealstory.com/2021/12/bbc-misrepresents-my-views-on-debt-trap.html

H-O-W-L

Quote from: pcsjwgm on May 18, 2022, 11:16:17 AMWould the Western media cover China's investment in infrastructure in Africa so positively?

Probably not, but "what about" isn't really conducive to the topic at hand. This is more an issue for the BBC thread if anything? I'm an outspoken critic of the CCP (as well as the USA mind) and I've no issues with giving China props for investing in Africa, even if I figure it's probably for cynical reasons much like the USA's investment in Africa -- but if it leads to a common good and swords being used for ploughshares then I can't really fuss about it. The article at hand doesn't shit on China so I fail to see what bringing it up helps.

Dex Sawash

Our last sommelier moved back to la france

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: Joe Qunt on May 17, 2022, 11:53:35 AMWhilst the world's eyes are on Russia/Ukraine, Biden reverses Trump's decision to pull out of Somalia.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-61467478

Any chance you could justify your claim that this is an "invasion", Joe? No offense but it's a ridiculous statement unless you know something I don't.

Claude the Racecar Driving Rockstar Super Sleuth

They'll enjoy Somalia, but should they?

pcsjwgm

Quote from: Martin Van Buren Stan on May 19, 2022, 06:30:33 PMAny chance you could justify your claim that this is an "invasion", Joe? No offense but it's a ridiculous statement unless you know something I don't.

The US certainly knows something we don't since the media has totally failed to report on what the US's interests might be in pursuing this intervention, other than "fighting terrorism" (something the US was less concerned about when they shipped weapons to UAE and Saudi Arabia, which led to the weapons falling in the hands of al-Qaeda-linked fighters).