Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 25, 2024, 06:19:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Vangelisn't (RIP)

Started by Ron Maels Moustache, May 19, 2022, 08:25:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic
Evángelos Odysséas Papathanassíou has died aged 79.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2022/may/19/vangelis-greek-composer-chariots-of-fire-blade-runner-dies

I'm shamefully ignorant on the wider body of his work, but even if he was only known Blade Runner that would be enough, has to be one of the most evocative and poignant soundtracks ever produced.

Oh, and the theme from Cosmos, why not:

Blue Jam

We need to get a bit of Aphrodite's Child in here... RIP:

Love a bit of 666:

Norton Canes

PlanktonSideburns

Usually fukin hate this dead puns thing, but this ones so good I've got over myself for it

PlanktonSideburns

Did aphrodites child precede zeppelin?

Blue Jam

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 19, 2022, 08:58:29 PMDid aphrodites child precede zeppelin?

Just about, yes. Led Zep were only the Fifth Horseman.

Neomod

Two favourites. Blade Runner is definitely in my top 10 OST's.

R.I.P

The Mollusk

Quote from: Blue Jam on May 19, 2022, 08:45:03 PMWe need to get a bit of Aphrodite's Child in here... RIP:

One of those songs where once you hear it or even think about it it's stuck in your head for days. Incredible album.

I can never remember the colour order of the horses so I like to sing them all as "brown" for my own amusement. It's what Evángelos would have wanted, I'm sure.

BlodwynPig

jobotic

I told you to wait in the Vangelis.

I know bugger all about him beyond the hit but his album with Mariengela popped up on some blog a few years ago. It's not all that apart from these two charmers

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gI-pZV2rf4&list=PLTFQVfZ4bBSXyZNzs7q6r8OsiY2J-4ew5&index=11

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTcCzaOCpqo&list=PLTFQVfZ4bBSXyZNzs7q6r8OsiY2J-4ew5&index=5

This one is brilliant but I don't speak Greek and I don't know if he's on it. Think so though.

shoulders

Oh no, i wasn't ready for this...

:(

Norton Canes

Quote from: PlanktonSideburns on May 19, 2022, 08:57:22 PMUsually fukin hate this dead puns thing, but this ones so good I've got over myself for it

Ta : )

aunt mildred

Not even a mention of it, is that because it's all beneath you and only thicko's like me remember him for this?

https://youtu.be/8a-HfNE3EIo

Tfmtfoa

buzby

RIP the maestro of the Yamaha CS80 (he used all the presets on it before anyone else got a look in).

Love Aphrodite's Child and 666 in particular
as well as his later soundtrack work. There's also Pulstar, which used to be heard all over the place in the early 80s:
(this was ripped off shamelessly by Francis Monkman as The Acheivements Of Man for the Bruton library, which then was used as the theme for Johnny Ball's Think Again).

Also Spiral and To The Unknown Man, which were used as the soundtrack for a 1978 RAF film about a 12 Squadron's Buccaneers taking part in a NATO exercise:

One thing about the offical Blade Runner soundtrack album is that it was only a fraction of what was composed and recorded for the film, and was released 12 years after the film due to a dispute between Vangelis and Ridley Scott over his editing of the soundtrack and sustitutions with works from other composers. It also contained a couple of tracks that were written and recorded well after the film.

There has for many years been a thriving bootleg scene based on leaked dubs of the 2-track masters of the unreleased material that were made during the construction of the 1992 DIrector's Cut.

phantom_power

I know it is as cheesy as a Wotsit dropped in a fondue but I have a soft spot for that song he did with Jon Anderson

Quote from: phantom_power on May 20, 2022, 11:55:33 AMI know it is as cheesy as a Wotsit dropped in a fondue but I have a soft spot for that song he did with Jon Anderson

It's a classic

I like their original version of this too

Glebe

Yeah sad news. Rest in Peace mate. Blade Runner soundtrack, fuck me, incredible.

All Surrogate

"There is only one hope for humanity: the synthesizer."

Stoneage Dinosaurs

Glebe

Quote from: Stoneage Dinosaurs on May 20, 2022, 06:53:48 PMIronically Berry looks a lot more like Demis Roussos

Haha! Actually Roussos looks surprisingly like George Romero here:

Apparently he's singing complete gobbledygook on Blade Runner's 'Tales of the Future' (one of my favourites on the soundtrack).

dontpaintyourteeth

Treasure trove for the heads, this: unreleased tracks from the L'apocalypse des animaux era. Vangelis was always a funny one for me because his music often went from sublime to ridiculous. Sometimes on the same record. But RIP, he made at least eleven properly good albums, off the top of my head. I always loved the name of his other, non-Aphrodite's Child band, the "Inter-Groupie Psychotherapeutic Elastic Band"

JaDanketies

Big fan of Vangelis. Literally used to describe him as my favourite musician when I was about 8 or 9.

Top track (and album) for me is The Friends of Mr Cairo, with Jon Anderson from prog-rockers Yes

I really don't know why my dad had this album because he never listened to really out-there stuff, maybe Sgt Peppers was as avante-garde as his usual tastes got. Perhaps he tripped to it as a young man. And I don't know if he was playing it all the time, or if I discovered it and decided I loved it. But I have loved the album The Friends of Mr Cairo since I ever remember anything. I love his other stuff too,  all the big movie songs obv, his other collaborations with John Anderson, but this song / album has a special place in my heart.

So obviously when I was a little kid I loved it because it started off sounding like a shoot-em up movie, and it had all these cool Hollywood-sounding snippets in it. But nowadays I also appreciate that Vangelis loved movies, he was lucky enough to be working in them, and this song is a love song to cinema. Getting a bit teary now writing about it. Totally gutted he's dead

I see Find My Way Home and State Of Independence from the album have already been mentioned, so I'll also include The Mayflower, which is also very cinematic in its scope.

Speaking of Demis Roussos reminded me of this disco track Vangelis produced

bakabaka

A 4-hour generative piece which, by using a sample from the Blade Runner soundtrack, creates a passable 'soundalike':

Pauline Walnuts

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 23, 2022, 03:24:22 PMSpeaking of Demis Roussos reminded me of this disco track Vangelis produced

It's no

gilbertharding

Quote from: buzby on May 20, 2022, 10:46:41 AMAlso Spiral and To The Unknown Man, which were used as the soundtrack for a 1978 RAF film about a 12 Squadron's Buccaneers taking part in a NATO exercise:

Love that film: "Red and black! Bananas bananas!! Single contact. Check height." - it's always being taken off youtube because of the music (last time I saw it, parts were silenced to avoid copyright problems - so glad it's up again for now).

TheMonk

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 20, 2022, 04:06:35 PM

It's a classic

It sounds like it's from an alternative, much better version of our world. Lovely.

famethrowa

Quote from: Better Midlands on May 20, 2022, 04:06:35 PM

It's a classic

My favourite part, the last chorus, when the song builds and builds, Jon gets more hysterical, and there's a synth slide up between the lines. Check out the smug little smirk from Vanny at 3:40 as he mimes it.. he know he's killing it, the dirty old bollocks. There in his scarf and sweater.