Main Menu

Tip jar

If you like CaB and wish to support it, you can use PayPal or KoFi. Thank you, and I hope you continue to enjoy the site - Neil.

Buy Me a Coffee at ko-fi.com

Support CaB

Recent

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 5,584,346
  • Total Topics: 106,754
  • Online Today: 1,132
  • Online Ever: 3,311
  • (July 08, 2021, 03:14:41 AM)
Users Online
Welcome to Cook'd and Bomb'd. Please login or sign up.

April 26, 2024, 04:15:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Mispronounced words

Started by kalowski, May 22, 2022, 04:57:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kalowski

I was listening to Hewlit's Daughter by Grandaddy today when I noticed he sings "treeding water". I'd never spotted that before.
I then recall The Who singing Arm-en-ear for Armenia (City In The Sky).

I'm going to start wracking my brain for some other examples.

A bit like how Lennon says "Or-gee" for orgy, but that was an interview not a song.

phantom_power

Morrissey can't pronounce "plagiarise"

holdover

Quote from: kalowski on May 22, 2022, 04:57:33 PMI was listening to Hewlit's Daughter by Grandaddy today when I noticed he sings "treeding water". I'd never spotted that before.

It's "treating water"

kalowski

Martin Van Buren Stan

Quote from: kalowski on May 22, 2022, 04:57:33 PMI was listening to Hewlit's Daughter by Grandaddy today when I noticed he sings "treeding water". I'd never spotted that before.
I then recall The Who singing Arm-en-ear for Armenia (City In The Sky).

I'm going to start wracking my brain for some other examples.

A bit like how Lennon says "Or-gee" for orgy, but that was an interview not a song.

How is orgy supposed to be said?

kalowski

He says it with a hard G like Porgy.

purlieu

James Dean Bradfield, 'The Everlasting'. "In the beginning / when we were winning / when our smiles were jenawin." In the chorus of a song chosen for a single.

Ballad of Ballard Berkley

In Acute Schizophrenia Paranoia Blues by the Kinks, Ray Davies mispronounces schizophrenia as 'scizzo‐freena'. Although that's probably a deliberate affectation on his part. Still, he mispronounces it, so into the thread it goes.

McChesney Duntz

Quote from: kalowski on May 22, 2022, 05:20:37 PMHe says it with a hard G like Porgy.

I'm thinking that's a potentially acceptable pronunciation. John Cale said it that way as well.

McChesney Duntz

Bauhaus, "The Three Shadows Part Two": "Oh-di-pus Rex complexes."

kalowski

Quote from: McChesney Duntz on May 22, 2022, 05:41:50 PMI'm thinking that's a potentially acceptable pronunciation. John Cale said it that way as well.
He does, you're right!

Twonty Gostelow

Orjee is the only pronunciation according to Collins, Chambers and OED. I assumed Lennon was joking, a bit like the way he mangles words deliberately in his poetry, but maybe not.

Michael Stipe sings 'wrecked a lot of havoc' (instead of 'wreaked') on 'The Sidewinder Sleeps Tonight'. The not-yet-baldy-then dunce.

SpiderChrist

Weller on Tube Station sings "cuttelry" instead of "cutlery".

kalowski

Quote from: SpiderChrist on May 22, 2022, 07:57:48 PMWeller on Tube Station sings "cuttelry" instead of "cutlery".
That's how I say it (but I'm from Stockport).

dontpaintyourteeth

Both Britney Spears and Justin Timberlake used to sing the word "me" very strangely.

George Clinton saying "David Boo-wie" in "P-Funk (Wants to get Funked Up)"

Video Game Fan 2000

Texas Chainsaw Massa-cree/They took my baby aways from me

kalowski

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on May 22, 2022, 08:24:55 PMGeorge Clinton saying "David Boo-wie" in "P-Funk (Wants to get Funked Up)"
Oh, that's a good one. I love that bit: "Blue Magic, Doobie Brothers, David Boo-wee. But can you imagine Doobieing your funk?"

jamiefairlie

Quote from: kalowski on May 22, 2022, 08:19:32 PMThat's how I say it (but I'm from Stockport).

Weller is a cockney and as such doesn't know any better but you have no such excuse.

Sean Ymphs

In Diamonds & Guns by the Transplants, Tim Armstrong pronounces the word 'heroin' in two different ways; first to rhyme with 'fun', then to rhyme with 'gone' (which he then rhymes with 'none').

Twonty Gostelow

Quote from: dontpaintyourteeth on May 22, 2022, 08:24:55 PMGeorge Clinton saying "David Boo-wie" in "P-Funk (Wants to get Funked Up)"

Cosmic Rough Riders' leader Daniel Wylie admits in the youtube comments here that he's pronouncing Laura Nyro's name wrong in his tribute to her. "I wrote this for her. It was a single B side. Her cousin (also her tour manager) read about it in a Laura Nyro biography and bought copies of the song for him and her dad, who was still alive at the time. They loved it but informed me I'd pronounced her name wrong....it should be pronounced NERO...but they loved the lyrics and thanked me for writing it."

non capisco

Natasha Bedingfield pronounced 'hyperbole' as 'hyperbowl' in one of her terrible songs. Not the one with the video that had a swaying toddler seemingly dressed up as Lauren Harries when she was a child "antiques expert", one of the other ones.

the science eel

Quote from: phantom_power on May 22, 2022, 05:01:28 PMMorrissey can't pronounce "plagiarise"

Mark E Smith pronounces 'plagiarists' with a hard 'g' too.

A Manc thing?

beanheadmcginty

Chris De Burgh sings "dance" with a short A and "romance" with a long A in Lady In Red, even though they're supposed to be a rhyming couplet and nobody pronounces "romance" like that in real life. Really ruins the song for me.

pigamus

Never Forget You by Noisettes - "We were mischievious..."

Ray Travez

about 20 seconds in, Relaxed Muscle's Billy Jack. With his what now Jarvis?

https://youtu.be/fWe6LCU1kGo?t=18

buzby

Quote from: buzby on October 11, 2018, 08:36:44 AMOne vocal mistake that's always annoyed me is in Brandy Vs. Monica's The Boy Is Mine - in the second verse Monica sings 'From the truth you can't exscape'. It's a common mispronunciation of the word in the US, but if I was the producer I'd have told her to go back and sing it again (like if he wasn't so much of a raving egomanaic the rest of the band should have told Dennis DeYoung to go back and do it again when he sings 'I am the modren man' in Styx's Mr Roboto).

jamiefairlie

Quote from: pigamus on May 23, 2022, 09:37:05 PMNever Forget You by Noisettes - "We were mischievious..."

That's a disputed word though.

pigamus

Quote from: jamiefairlie on May 24, 2022, 12:51:51 AMThat's a disputed word though.

Well it's a mispronounced word, which is kind of the point of the thread